U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 02:24 PM

12,685 posts, read 9,432,561 times

Advertisements

It sounds to me like the water meter -- owned by the water utility -- is not operating correctly. You should not have 100 PSI past it causing the leaks between the meter and the house.

I'd start by calling the public utility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 09:39 PM

10,714 posts, read 3,748,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopingIdontWAKEUPinaLake View Post
Three years ago my wife and I started renting a beautiful home here in Las Vegas. Only problem.. the property has water pressure in excess of 100 PSI that's been responsible for seven separate water leaks.

On three separate occasions the main broke in the front yard and we received a water bill just north of $300 for a month. Leaking underground we didn't know till the bill came. Only once were we reimbursed, still owed over $600. He told us to claim it on renters insurance, but that's not gonna fly. We just paid it. Figured it wasn't best to fight with the owner that first year of living here. We really love the place and don't want to move. BTW owner is a french foreign investor who's never seen either us or the home. Property management runs the show.

Each time the main broke in the front yard a crew dug down about 5' feet and replace a 10' foot section of pipe, rather than just replacing it all in one shot. At no point was a pressure regulator installed and that's why the leaks have continued, now inside the home. Each time the pressure broke the main closer and closer to the home. There is no place outside aboveground to mount a pressure regulator. It has to be done underground. The pressure regulator job would cost around $600. Not the crew that fixed the pipe only (they knew no better I guess) but since then because of my complaining the owner has approved four separate plumbing companies to asses the situation. They have all urged property management to tell the owner to pay for a pressure regulator. It was so painfully obvious the water leaks were to continue, and this time inside the home. I pleaded with property management to have a pressure regulator installed on numberious occasions. Owner refused all estimates. Two and a half years later the pressure is still 100.4 PSI.

Four more leaks have happened inside the home since the three leaks in the front yard. Two sinks, one toilet, and the hot water heater have all sprung MAJOR water leaks. I paid out of pocket to fix the problems every time. Few bucks here and there, not a big deal, but it's starting to get annoying. I emailed property management every time, have record, they're aware of every instance. BTW I'm not talking a drip here. In just a few minutes this home's beautiful hardwood floors were under water.

With all these leaks i surely know how to find and shut the main off (in the dark more than once!) but the pressure is just so high it only takes a few minutes to submerge flooring. Thankfully I've been home to stop every single leak, so far. But there is no doubt in anyone's mind there will be an 8th leak, it's just a matter of when, and if i'll be here to save this property from complete and total flood damage yet again. The water company said this home has the 3rd highest water pressure ever recorded in the Las Vegas Valley. Their calls to property management on my behalf did nothing to sway the owner.

By the way, im not even counting the dozen or so times the water high pressure bested the fittings of a high pressure high temp $75 top of the line garden hose and blew the sprayer end off it, partially flooding the backward. Granted shouldn't leave that on out in the desert heat, but if pressure were 65 PSI we never would've had a single one of these leaks.

I had a long talk with someone at the water company. They looked back and have record of this property having its water shut off due to a leak just before we moved in three years ago, right after the old tenants moved out. They also told me that prior to my moving in and finding these leaks the previous tenants always had a water bill in excess of $300. Over 60,000 gallons of water per month was being recorded at this property for over 2 years! That's MILLIONS of gallons of water wasted.

I would love nothing more than to see this guy lose his investment due to gross negligence. Give the place to us and we'll make sure to pay the taxes early. I'm not much for sueing, but damn this guy pisses me off. He doesn't give a rats ass about Vegas or our water shortage.

We just renewed our lease for a year, for some reason he wouldn't let us do two years this time, but he made sure to jack the rent $25 a year, again.

So here's my plan..
Shut the water off when i leave for vacation, and 7 months before we plan to move (no plan to yet) start not paying him rent till he installs a pressure regulator. Then continue not paying him for another 6 months till he can get us evicted. That'll cost him over 11K i'll be happy to keep. He'll sue. It'll dent my 833 credit score that i never use. He won't get a dime as neither of us have paychecks he can garnishing.

Thoughts?
I am not sure why you are making this complicated. Simply collect all the bills you have paid and take him to small claims court.

And understand...you will be out of there in a month or so if you don't pay the rent. Nevada is not tenant friendly. The failure to pay the rent will get you thrown out. You may be able to pay it to the court but the landlord may very well be able to collect it.

Small claims court will not make him install the regulator...money damages only. But they will let you collect for every dollar spent and your court costs. And you can sue again if it breaks again.

And you credit etc remains intact. You can end up having lots of trouble renting nice places if you get evicted.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:03 PM

26,890 posts, read 38,142,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I am not sure why you are making this complicated. Simply collect all the bills you have paid and take him to small claims court.

And understand...you will be out of there in a month or so if you don't pay the rent. Nevada is not tenant friendly. The failure to pay the rent will get you thrown out. You may be able to pay it to the court but the landlord may very well be able to collect it.

Small claims court will not make him install the regulator...money damages only. But they will let you collect for every dollar spent and your court costs. And you can sue again if it breaks again.

And you credit etc remains intact. You can end up having lots of trouble renting nice places if you get evicted.
But if you're a squatter you can stay as long as you like.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
But if you're a squatter you can stay as long as you like.
That has gotten a lot harder. Originally it got all tied up in the confusion about who owned what on places lacking clear title. Some of that do to the banks who evaded taking title or foreclosing. And there are still some places where the titular owner has been gone for years and no one has foreclosed.

With someone owning however getting rid of squatters is now quick and easy.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:42 PM

168 posts, read 223,736 times
If you have access to the valve, adjust it yourself. Turn the bolt to the left to reduce the pressure.There really isn't that much in the valve that goes bad other than an O ring. I just switched my valve. It was $83 at home depot. Took me all of 10 minutes to do it.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:27 PM

254 posts, read 196,716 times
My sister has a similar problem.

At the end of July, her landlord decided to drain and power wash the pool. Once refilled, her next water bill was $575! Their normal is about $75- $80 in the summer. In their lease all pool expenses he is responsible for.

During this time, they woke up one morning to hear gushing water on one side of the house. Massive leak gushing water. They turned off the water and later that day the plumber came out.

She has been trying to get him to pay for the pool refill and he only paid $93. He went over the bill with her and she agreed that was it to fill the pool but the leak must have accounted for the rest.

He refuses to pay anything additional to the $93. Their lease is up in October and we are sure if she caused a stir he would boot them out. Them is one thing, but out 88 year old blind Mom lives there. It would be a huge thing to move her and doubt she could take it not to mention the expense. They're stuck between a rock and a hard spot and will end up paying for this massive leak under the house that was not even their fault.

Not all landlords are good. I am lucky to have an excellent one.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:40 PM

158 posts, read 167,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro1320 View Post
If you have access to the valve, adjust it yourself. Turn the bolt to the left to reduce the pressure.There really isn't that much in the valve that goes bad other than an O ring. I just switched my valve. It was $83 at home depot. Took me all of 10 minutes to do it.
What valve you refer to? The shutoff valve before the meter or the pressure regulator installed in most newer houses in Vegas? The OP does not have the regulator in the house.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:04 AM

12,685 posts, read 9,432,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKBL View Post
What valve you refer to? The shutoff valve before the meter or the pressure regulator installed in most newer houses in Vegas? The OP does not have the regulator in the house.
Agree -- but even so, a pressure regulator in the house is past the location of the main water supply lines which have also burst (if I'm reading the OP's post correctly). The public water utility may very well solve the problem at no cost.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Agree -- but even so, a pressure regulator in the house is past the location of the main water supply lines which have also burst (if I'm reading the OP's post correctly). The public water utility may very well solve the problem at no cost.
In general the utility will handle problems up to the water meter but no further. So the run from the meter to the house is the owners problem. And they do fail rarely. There is insurance against such a failure available through some municipal connected outfits though probably not a great deal.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 1,308 times
I made it clear why we signed a new lease. We love the place short of this one long-standing issue. Which surprisingly the owner finally just came around on. He's paying for it. Maybe property management finally convinced him. All's well that ends well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas