U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 09:40 AM

12,667 posts, read 9,420,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
First hand knowledge. Oh the stories I could tell. They did me a favor and drove me out of mortgage banking 30+ years ago. I couldn't take it anymore and thought I work with these people eventually I could also lose my morals, ethics and integrity.

Best agent in town died last year She I could trust. Her former partner is a slime bag, heard of recent situations he's pulled.
Just like so many things in life, the quality of real estate agents tends to fall on a Gaussian or normal distribution (the "bell curve"). About half of all real estate agents are above the median.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 11:30 AM

327 posts, read 215,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I would use one. But many agents here are awful. They are uneducated and the biggest group of liars I have ever met.
We had one Vegas agent try and bill us $800 for her services because we couldn't find a home we liked through her.

Another one admitted he was mentally ill and took handfuls of Quaaludes to start the day (didn't think they made those anymore). I became concerned after he got angry when we went to talk to a neighbor to ask about the neighborhood. Demanded to know what the hell we were doing?!!

Another Vegas lunatic realtor became irate when we didn't contact him specifically on his timeline.

Vegas is the only city where I've been shown houses that were absolutely filthy disgusting - garbage left all over the floor, feces unflushed in a toilet, drawers left open with trash falling out. (I've house hunted throughout the Denver area, Florida, Texas, Arizona and Illinois.)

Old 08-31-2017, 11:42 AM

10,683 posts, read 3,738,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7freak7 View Post
We had one Vegas agent try and bill us $800 for her services because we couldn't find a home we liked through her.

Another one admitted he was mentally ill and took handfuls of Quaaludes to start the day (didn't think they made those anymore). I became concerned after he got angry when we went to talk to a neighbor to ask about the neighborhood. Demanded to know what the hell we were doing?!!

Another Vegas lunatic realtor became irate when we didn't contact him specifically on his timeline.

Vegas is the only city where I've been shown houses that were absolutely filthy disgusting - garbage left all over the floor, feces unflushed in a toilet, drawers left open with trash falling out. (I've house hunted throughout the Denver area, Florida, Texas, Arizona and Illinois.)
I have not seen a really trashed house in four or five years. They were reasonably common in the height of the RE bust but are normally very uncommon. They were also extremely difficult to buy. Must have tried to buy 30 or 40 with one hit. Today it is virtually certain that a bad house will at least be trashed out.

Note they sre in general a very good deal for a buyer. Typically discounted 15% or more. Cost to trash out and restore is at most 3 or 4%. That is why they are so difficult to buy. The flippers go after them.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:58 AM

327 posts, read 215,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I have not seen a really trashed house in four or five years.
I haven't seen a really trashed house in over two years, as that's the last time I was house hunting. Gasp! My experience was different than yours! Call the internet police!

Old 08-31-2017, 12:10 PM

1,525 posts, read 844,820 times
Since you will be buying off the mls, use an agent. But, I do tons of research before I even talk to an agent. The model of flying in and going to look at six houses in a SUV is way outdated. I had a guy looking at my condo a few weeks ago, and the only problem was that he was not an educated buyer....had no idea about comps or rents. I really felt like I was wasting my time. I didn't want to push anything, I expected it to sell itself within reason. The market moves pretty fast, the buyer needs to have their ducks lined up. I like the ZIP code concept....worked great for Ziprealty. Then you can narrow down your choices. Coming cold to a metro area and riding around with a realtor is asinine, unless you have done your own research. There are plenty of nice shades of beige in horrific school areas, as well as crime.....

Old 08-31-2017, 12:16 PM

2,953 posts, read 1,388,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7freak7 View Post

I rest my case.

Working in mortgage banking I ran into some bad ones. Like the many that said the loans have been approved, and they hadn't went to underwriting. This was 30+ years ago. And in the proper midwest.

I was hoping with the down turn in 2008, some of the bad agents in Vegas hit the road. They seem to be 'morally relaxed' here for what ever reason. Hubs and I say if their lips are moving, they are lying. At least the several we know.

Real Estates agents can make a decent career without a college education. In fact, most in Vegas don't have one. And testing standards are low.

When I was in college, I had a calculus tutor who took a lot of 'ludes.' He worked smarter when he was high, go figure.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:28 PM

Familiarizing yourself with the buyer/seller/50-50 grid on a standard Nevada contract is a good start. That alone could save you a few thousand. I had cash buyers who paid their own Title Insurance....didn't feel like hitting a holeinone, but was better than a birdie. Had a realtor tell me the law said I had to pay for septic pump and clean, even though it wasn't in the list. Oh, really? I have the entire Arizona Revised Statutes on the internet in front of me...just show me which law says that, and I will pay it....CHACHING .saved 375 on that one. People that quote make believe laws...sheesh...so annoying.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:49 PM

533 posts, read 426,229 times
The real benefit of using an agent (at least for us when we were hunting 2 years ago) was the access to the MLS/Fusion listings, and the alerts we would get when a house would come onto the market or have a change in price. The services that draw from MLS get the updates several days later, if at all. That can be a problem if you are looking in a certain area, or for a relatively small sub-set of homes.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:59 PM

It depends on the area, and it does change, but most areas will have a big public listing that is a lot more responsive than days. Zip was as good as anything they had in 2009. But lately, Realtor is pretty atrocious....but, of course they leave homes under contract as bait, which is a different kind of problem. Agents trying to hog commissions can also cause delays in listings...and that is something to nail them down on. More common with the rentals. I would like to see a comparison of zip auto notice vs. what a typical agent uses, if they set up a search for you.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:18 PM

10,683 posts, read 3,738,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
It depends on the area, and it does change, but most areas will have a big public listing that is a lot more responsive than days. Zip was as good as anything they had in 2009. But lately, Realtor is pretty atrocious....but, of course they leave homes under contract as bait, which is a different kind of problem. Agents trying to hog commissions can also cause delays in listings...and that is something to nail them down on. More common with the rentals. I would like to see a comparison of zip auto notice vs. what a typical agent uses, if they set up a search for you.
There is nothing that can beat an agent search. If set up as ASAP it pumps new or changed listings out virtually instantly. Other services need an IDX feed which is not instantaneous. One may not want to set up an instant feed on a broad and popular category as you may annoy the client with frequent emails.

The contingent feed is an MLS custom of long standing. When you initiate a search Active and Contingent are both selected. You have to un-select Contingent to avoid it. There may not be a reasonable way to do that on an IDX feed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or