U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 09:59 PM

16,496 posts, read 20,042,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

Phoenix wants to deport them all.
With the exception of the Phoenix businessmen who were against Arpaio as they need the workers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 10:00 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,194,913 times
Mexicans deserve to be here more than white people. They were in the southwest areas of USA before it was even a country. And then USA goes to war with Mexico just to steal the land. I consider their right to live here on a similar ground to native american rights.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:15 PM

583 posts, read 252,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Mexicans deserve to be here more than white people. They were in the southwest areas of USA before it was even a country. And then USA goes to war with Mexico just to steal the land. I consider their right to live here on a similar ground to native american rights.
And at one point Rome controlled Northern Africa and the British owned India, blah blah blah. People have always conquered and overtaken lands throughout history. We won, so we get to make the rules. Nobody has a right to anything.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:47 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,341,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
And who owned the land before Mexico? Native Americans might have an issue with your position.
My parents came here legally, and it took years for them to do it. Illegal immigrants shortcut the system and should not be rewarded for doing it.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:43 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,194,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
And who owned the land before Mexico? Native Americans might have an issue with your position.
My parents came here legally, and it took years for them to do it. Illegal immigrants shortcut the system and should not be rewarded for doing it.
The dinosaurs.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:48 AM

334 posts, read 194,953 times
All 4 of my grandparents came through Ellis Island from Italy. I think it's wonderful that people are so driven to find a better life here and I want them to come, but....

come here to be an American, assimilate to the American ways and learn english fluently, and above all, come here legally and take the test as proof that becoming American is more important than just finding a job here. It's what many of our grandparents did, and it's should be no less a task to migrate today.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:13 AM

10,806 posts, read 3,777,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickydim View Post
All 4 of my grandparents came through Ellis Island from Italy. I think it's wonderful that people are so driven to find a better life here and I want them to come, but....

come here to be an American, assimilate to the American ways and learn english fluently, and above all, come here legally and take the test as proof that becoming American is more important than just finding a job here. It's what many of our grandparents did, and it's should be no less a task to migrate today.
Four of my children's great grand parents were Italian immigrants. Three never spoke English. My very Wasp uncle had a father who was and remained an illegal alien. The status of one of my grandfathers is uncertain. He clearly jumped ship but may have legalized later.

Just pointing out the prior generations are often a bit more colorful than we make out.

The DACA kids are unlikely to have much of a problem in LV. We pretty much ignore all that.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:08 AM

3,576 posts, read 1,830,249 times
Quote:

You realize that 100 years ago, there was no such thing as illegal or legal immigration. You showed up at Ellis Island, passed a physical, and you were let in. It wasn't until the 1920's that quotas were put into place.

Most of our immigrant families wouldn't even qualify to enter the US today. My parents came in 1962 and I know they couldn't do it under today's restrictions.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:41 AM

334 posts, read 194,953 times
Quote:
You showed up at Ellis Island, passed a physical, and you were let in.
It was a procedure and you were documented. It was our country's policy at the time and my family followed procedure, however crude it might have been back then. The point is, they would do it the honest way today too. They came here to be Americans.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:42 PM

3,576 posts, read 1,830,249 times
Quote:
It was a procedure and you were documented. It was our country's policy at the time and my family followed procedure, however crude it might have been back then. The point is, they would do it the honest way today too. They came here to be Americans.
True there was a procedure and it was very crude.

As for the last part, they most likely would not be eligible for a visa today. Unless one has money to invest, a close family relationship, special skills, or employer sponsorship, one wouldn't be allowed to enter today.

One interesting article I read noted that in 1925, there were about 1.4 million illegal aliens in the US after quotas were put into place. Many sailed to Cuba, Mexico, and Canada and paid smugglers to get them to the US. But starting in 1929, law abiding illegals were allowed to get permanent residency by proving they were "of good moral character" and paid a $20 fee. Heck in the 40's and 50's, deportations dropped dramatically because people were given the opportunity to do touch back immigration (leave the US and return quickly) or had cases dismissed entirely due to the merits of there case..

Maybe we can look to the past to find a way for these people of "good moral character" to do the same today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas