U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 01:44 PM

418 posts, read 295,234 times

Advertisements

Pack your bags hombres, that's all I gotta say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 02:21 PM

85 posts, read 105,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
On one hand, we all know that 95% of the people coming across the border are only looking for jobs and the betterment of their families, so we should welcome them.
We don't know that at all. You're making that up. If you ask a different crowd, Mexico is being made unstable on purpose so that the unified cartels can threaten us militarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Mexicans deserve to be here more than white people. They were in the southwest areas of USA before it was even a country. And then USA goes to war with Mexico just to steal the land. I consider their right to live here on a similar ground to native american rights.
The world belongs to the living, and to those who would cultivate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It is interesting. Las Vegas does not consider it an issue. And does not appear to ever have.
That means the government of Las Vegas does not consider it an issue. The citizens have always considered it an issue.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:30 PM

1,313 posts, read 850,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Mexicans deserve to be here more than white people. They were in the southwest areas of USA before it was even a country. And then USA goes to war with Mexico just to steal the land. I consider their right to live here on a similar ground to native american rights.
The southwest was a part of Mexico for about 27 years. At the end of that period, every Mexican in the southwest became an American citizen.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:45 PM

2,406 posts, read 2,412,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
The southwest was a part of Mexico for about 27 years. At the end of that period, every Mexican in the southwest became an American citizen.
Tell me who were the people that were living in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California before English settlers? It wasn't Spanish missionaries/conquistadors. It was Mexicans/Native Americans. They were there for longer than 27 years pre treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo(don't be fooled by the name, the treaty is just legalized thievery through warfare).

I don't care that Mexico had lands taken away from it(they are a corrupt government, they don't do right by their own people). But I find it cold hearted to not allow Mexicans to come here and claim the ones that are here are illegal. Just stop it already with your xenophobic bull****. The USA is huge. We have so much land and could fit another 3 billion people and would still be fine.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:06 PM

12,569 posts, read 4,748,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricninja View Post

That means the government of Las Vegas does not consider it an issue. The citizens have always considered it an issue.
Nope. The Cities and Counties are at best neutral. It is not a sanctuary city. People get annoyed at the impact of minority kids on the school system but it is not directed at illegals. No one is even aware illegals exist for the most part.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:53 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,430,857 times
We already have tens of millions of workers with limited skills. With automation becoming more and more prevalent, do we really need more labor? What are all these people going to do for jobs?

Old 09-06-2017, 05:08 PM

395 posts, read 234,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2
True there was a procedure and it was very crude.

As for the last part, they most likely would not be eligible for a visa today. Unless one has money to invest, a close family relationship, special skills, or employer sponsorship, one wouldn't be allowed to enter today.

One interesting article I read noted that in 1925, there were about 1.4 million illegal aliens in the US after quotas were put into place. Many sailed to Cuba, Mexico, and Canada and paid smugglers to get them to the US. But starting in 1929, law abiding illegals were allowed to get permanent residency by proving they were "of good moral character" and paid a $20 fee. Heck in the 40's and 50's, deportations dropped dramatically because people were given the opportunity to do touch back immigration (leave the US and return quickly) or had cases dismissed entirely due to the merits of there case..

Maybe we can look to the past to find a way for these people of "good moral character" to do the same today.
I agree, it's the rules for entry that changed, which is unfortunate for the people of today that's the policy of our country. This is a democracy and the if the rules aren't fair or antiquated then congress should do their job and fix it.

Decision like enacting DACA should never have been left to one man in a country so big that will affect so many.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:47 PM

2,406 posts, read 2,412,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
We already have tens of millions of workers with limited skills. With automation becoming more and more prevalent, do we really need more labor? What are all these people going to do for jobs?
Limited skills eh? What do you consider "low skill"? Electrical, hvac, plumbing, landscaping? We have a dire need of workers in all those industries and construction trades in general.

Our infrastructure in this country is OLD. We need to refurbish and build new infrastructure. To do that, we need responsible, hard workers. I don't see the current generation of Americans raising their hands for the task.

We have plenty of work to go around and it's work that cannot be automated so easily.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:02 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,061,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
And who owned the land before Mexico? Native Americans might have an issue with your position.
My parents came here legally, and it took years for them to do it. Illegal immigrants shortcut the system and should not be rewarded for doing it.
There is no system for citizens of most countries to come. Not just Mexico, places like Malaysia where most people speak English at a first language level have seen high denials of tourist visas, let alone work visas. The system you refer to is nothing more than someone decided they don't like you so don't even bother to come if you don't want to be deemed illegal.

There is no shortcut going on, they are doing the only system that they can use. That is what reform is supposed to be about, but with everyone playing politics it just doesn't get done.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:44 AM

2,027 posts, read 2,278,937 times
What excuse do adults that have been anywhere in America illegally for 10,20,30 years have for not attemping to become a citizen? Not enough time? Not enough money? They make more money here than in their own country. I find it hard to feel sorry for people that can't be bothered to go through the process. I can't imagine anyone with family members that jumped through all the hoops doesn't feel the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas