U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 08:59 AM

1,827 posts, read 1,262,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWNLV View Post
I have had it NV Energy's smart thermostat for 3+ years now. Yes they do adjust the temperature often and it does get annoying. But I have signed up for average monthly billing and the bills have dropped from $87 to $54 to only $36 per month this year! It's saving me a lot of money!
Do you live in an air conditioned shoe box?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 09:24 AM

27,168 posts, read 11,338,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
No kidding! we had a SFH but our average NV energy bill was around $350 a month.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:45 AM

5,074 posts, read 3,770,509 times
We've had it for a couple of months. We've had to "trick" the econo-feature and actually set the desired temp to 4 degrees below so when they up our settings its where we'd like it to be.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:50 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,199,022 times
Well I guess I will pass on that 'freebie'.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:50 PM

383 posts, read 521,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
It's a small house, 1059 sq ft and the price drops don't make sense to me either. 78 degrees when I'm home. Every time the price drops I call NV Energy customer service and ask if my meter is reading right. They assure me it is. I'm assuming it the smart thermostat.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:12 AM

793 posts, read 463,283 times
I highly recommend buying an "ecobee" thermostat, and installing it yourself. It's easy, there's only 4 or 5 wires, all color coded, with standard terminal names, and it's very easy to do. The ecobee comes with external room sensors, and they are great for balancing out the temperatures. You can adjust/program it with your computer and smartphone over the web, and if you have an Alexa, you can even change the temperature with just your voice.

Those are nice toys, but the real benefit is in cost savings. Our july electric bill was 20% less this year, and we didn't have a pool pump last year, and we had a house full of guests for 1/2 the month. We're pretty happy with ours, and have probably saved enough over the summer to pay for at least one of them... YMMV of course.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:09 PM

511 posts, read 639,790 times
I got them and love them. Can change temp no matter where you are. At anytime you want. Setup a schedule to fit your needs. Went on TOD rate and saved about $500 this past year.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:59 PM

272 posts, read 136,235 times
Well, I'll tell you something I've just found... in my home I had the HVAC replaced a few years ago... no real problems per se.. but I just reduced the fan speed on my blower to stop doors banging in the house when the AC kicks on or off and my energy bills are noticeably lower. I don't attribute it to the lower fan speed either. I think the lower fan speed is resulting in a lower temp output from the AC.

When I checked with an IR thermometer... the temp went down to dewpoint(which it should)... From my understanding this should be okay as long as your temp doesn't drop below freezing and the R410 doesn't slug back to the compressor(I think this is unlikely on roof mounted ACs as are common in Las Vegas).

I don't run my AC once it gets cool enough at night to open windows, so I don't think it will be a problem for me. When it gets cool enough at night here (say, mid 70's) I open the windows on opposite sides of the house and put fans in them (1 push, 1 pull) on the second floor and run them until 5 or 6am or whenever I get up.

I toyed with placing fans in the downstairs windows but the cooling effect was not as good. The big problem seems to be removing the heat from the second floor.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:37 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,199,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Well, I'll tell you something I've just found... in my home I had the HVAC replaced a few years ago... no real problems per se.. but I just reduced the fan speed on my blower to stop doors banging in the house when the AC kicks on or off and my energy bills are noticeably lower. I don't attribute it to the lower fan speed either. I think the lower fan speed is resulting in a lower temp output from the AC.

When I checked with an IR thermometer... the temp went down to dewpoint(which it should)... From my understanding this should be okay as long as your temp doesn't drop below freezing and the R410 doesn't slug back to the compressor(I think this is unlikely on roof mounted ACs as are common in Las Vegas).

I don't run my AC once it gets cool enough at night to open windows, so I don't think it will be a problem for me. When it gets cool enough at night here (say, mid 70's) I open the windows on opposite sides of the house and put fans in them (1 push, 1 pull) on the second floor and run them until 5 or 6am or whenever I get up.

I toyed with placing fans in the downstairs windows but the cooling effect was not as good. The big problem seems to be removing the heat from the second floor.
The first night I can turn the AC off is party time!!!! For the first summer in years I won't see a bill over $300. The white roof makes a difference!

Old 09-02-2017, 11:50 PM

272 posts, read 136,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
The first night I can turn the AC off is party time!!!! For the first summer in years I won't see a bill over $300. The white roof makes a difference!
Just curious, do you have any numbers about how much an impact a white roof made for you? I have considered hiring someone to paint my roof white, but don't know if its worth it. I thought about this when I moved here and even though why aren't TIN roofs common (paint with silver paint). I suspect because of the wind. I am personally interested in the success of a white roof. I hate to be "that guy" in the neighborhood, but I don't have a full HOA, and the way others are here, **** 'em.

I think solar panels are a potentially better option if you can get good buy back rates from NVEnergy. I didn't move forward because at the time they had topped out the solar users and I've been waiting to see what happens before I spend the money. Plus, I would like to go "all the way" but placing batteries on the property seems like a legal/logistical nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or