U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 09:07 PM

272 posts, read 136,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
There is an alternative to ADT, for half the price, but I can't think of the name...but it is about 15 us per month for an alarm system. Upstairs is easier to secure, and you can put a steel security door in addition to your front door. The cost of an empty home are high in the US. IF I leave my condo in Thailand for five months, my electric bill is 26 cents per month...probably 100 times more in Las Vegas. Plenty of snowbirds have vacation homes without a problem.
Alarm systems are useless in Vegas because Metro won't show up until you can verify that there is actually someone in the residence who is not supposed to be. Furthermore, it will still take them at least 20 minutes, in the best of case, and several hours in the worst, to show up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Why keep it vacant? Find out what the legal minimum term rental is, and put someone in there. Even if you charge a relatively low rent, the place isn't sitting empty and subject to vandalism/squatting, and you get at least a little income out of it.
Minimum term is 31 days in the County, any term in City of LV of NLV with licensing and registration. Illegal in Henderson unless its a normal rental.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2016 View Post
If we buy a house it will have half an acre yard at minimum.
Good luck finding that in Vegas for less than half a million.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:57 AM

222 posts, read 113,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Good luck finding that in Vegas for less than half a million.
Yes we are not looking under 500k at all, we are aware of this.
As for your other recommendations, they do unfortunately seem to confirm that it is very risky to buy before you occupy the property, thanks.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:26 AM

1,542 posts, read 848,256 times
Maybe consider Phoenix....if you avoid the death heat; you get somewhat nicer weather in the Winter.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Maybe consider Phoenix....if you avoid the death heat; you get somewhat nicer weather in the Winter.
Oh, I traveled to almost every state before taking the decision to come to Vegas. Initially we thought it would be maybe New York, Texas,Florida, California or Hawaii, but after traveling all over USA, we found Vegas by far the best city to live in considering our personal situation. The stupid high crime is the only real downside we can see for the moment (in our situation)...

We wanted to buy a home earlier but also this forum of locals seems to be not euphoric about the idea of having a home empty for extended period of time. Short term renting it out may be an option but I am not a big fan of renting out my future dream home

Old 09-03-2017, 02:56 PM

10,740 posts, read 3,748,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2016 View Post
Oh, I traveled to almost every state before taking the decision to come to Vegas. Initially we thought it would be maybe New York, Texas,Florida, California or Hawaii, but after traveling all over USA, we found Vegas by far the best city to live in considering our personal situation. The stupid high crime is the only real downside we can see for the moment (in our situation)...

We wanted to buy a home earlier but also this forum of locals seems to be not euphoric about the idea of having a home empty for extended period of time. Short term renting it out may be an option but I am not a big fan of renting out my future dream home
It is relatively easy to secure a home to be left vacant. And it is not uncommon. The Sun Cities for instance are up to 25% vacant much of the time particularly in the summer. One can fit out a house so that it is very difficult to gain entry. Rolladens, secure screens and doors and window films can make it most difficult. you also need to configure the home to be secure from things like water leaks but that is often present.

You read the stories about squatters and thieves but that stuff is actually quite rare. A really clever guy may well be able to con his way into the most secure of homes. But that is true anywhere, requires considerable skill and is very rare. I know of perhaps one case here where a guy actually got into a nice home. But the home was bank owned and the guy was a skilled practitioner of the sovereign citizen group...a weird clan of people claiming immunity from the government.

AC systems can be secured. But the theft is so rare as to not be worth it. People have been known to steal plants also though again very uncommon.

Be aware that all these kind of lists always have a few doom sayers bad mouthing the place. These poor people have these ugly lives where their stuff gets stolen and there houses burgled and squatters moving in next door. That however does not happen often to normal people. They do however pollute the list with the attack of a thousand anecdotes.

Take it with as grain of salt. Las Vegas is well off its high crime years and shows no indication of going back to them. I always describe the crime in Las Vegas as too high to brag about but too low to warrant a big fix.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:28 AM

3,671 posts, read 7,979,572 times
Our house is empty nine months out of the year, and has been for most of the last ten years. I do take a lot of precautions (security system/cameras/lighting that makes home look occupied), and the layout/orientation of the house is such that it's not a great target, but what has probably kept our house safe is that I know my neighbors well.

I like to see the house every few months, but I've gone as long as six months without seeing it. I've got a home watch guy who comes by regularly and picks up the mail and pulls all the flyers out of the front door and picks up whatever garbage that blows onto the yard that the landscapers don't get.

The water issue is easily handled by shutting off the water at the water softener. That leaves only the cold water tap at the kitchen sink on, and if you have quarter-turn ball valves under the sink, you can safely shut them off when you leave and turn them on when you return. If you have multi-turn valves and not a quarter-turn valves under the sink, replace them.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:16 AM

20 posts, read 44,399 times
I live in a guard gated community (Southern Highlands), and we'll be looking at dual homes here and in a cooler state like Wash. with the routine of 8 here, 4 there. Can anyone suggest a trustworthy caretaker service. We don't want to have someone living in (trashing) our home, but if we just leave it for months, the indoor plants will all die- and there's the mail issue as well.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeoc View Post
I live in a guard gated community (Southern Highlands), and we'll be looking at dual homes here and in a cooler state like Wash. with the routine of 8 here, 4 there. Can anyone suggest a trustworthy caretaker service. We don't want to have someone living in (trashing) our home, but if we just leave it for months, the indoor plants will all die- and there's the mail issue as well.
As for the mail, you can ask the post to forward it to a service provider.
We use this one currently : https://www.maillinkplus.com/

This is a simple form to fill and cost nothing. You can reverse it once back.

The service provider will forward or scan your mail.

As for flyers and other mail that is not important, it is another topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or