U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 01:03 PM

3,673 posts, read 7,991,670 times

Advertisements

If you're just going back and forth between residences in the US, there is also the USPS Premium Forwarding Service. That's what we use to forward our mail to our Las Vegas address during our stays here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 01:44 AM

272 posts, read 137,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It is relatively easy to secure a home to be left vacant. And it is not uncommon. The Sun Cities for instance are up to 25% vacant much of the time particularly in the summer. One can fit out a house so that it is very difficult to gain entry. Rolladens, secure screens and doors and window films can make it most difficult. you also need to configure the home to be secure from things like water leaks but that is often present.

You read the stories about squatters and thieves but that stuff is actually quite rare. A really clever guy may well be able to con his way into the most secure of homes. But that is true anywhere, requires considerable skill and is very rare. I know of perhaps one case here where a guy actually got into a nice home. But the home was bank owned and the guy was a skilled practitioner of the sovereign citizen group...a weird clan of people claiming immunity from the government.

AC systems can be secured. But the theft is so rare as to not be worth it. People have been known to steal plants also though again very uncommon.

Be aware that all these kind of lists always have a few doom sayers bad mouthing the place. These poor people have these ugly lives where their stuff gets stolen and there houses burgled and squatters moving in next door. That however does not happen often to normal people. They do however pollute the list with the attack of a thousand anecdotes.

Take it with as grain of salt. Las Vegas is well off its high crime years and shows no indication of going back to them. I always describe the crime in Las Vegas as too high to brag about but too low to warrant a big fix.
Ding ding ding... When the squatters moved in they stole my plants! Look at the big brain on mensch! Such a good memory.

I'm not the only one. I had two co-workers with squatter stories as well, so this is more common than you'd think.

There is a problem. Again, commission and metro need to fix it. I'm a tax payer and I expect action to be taken. I elect my representatives and they work for me.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:47 AM

Post a no soliciting sign. In Clark County it is illegal for them to leave flyers and door hangers with one posted. It works. Newspapers are another ordeal. I've found calls to RJ to stop delivery to be ineffective.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:23 AM

Quote:
I know of perhaps one case here where a guy actually got into a nice home.
So, you are inferring that I do not live in a nice home? I'd argue that my neighborhood must be nicer, or the thieves and squatters wouldn't want to live in it!

Quote:
But the home was bank owned and the guy was a skilled practitioner of the sovereign citizen group...a weird clan of people claiming immunity from the government.
Doesn't sound so skilled to me. Anyone who's done any research on the topic knows its a complete pile of bull**** and isn't supported by any legal precedent anywhere in the United States.

Quote:
AC systems can be secured. But the theft is so rare as to not be worth it. People have been known to steal plants also though again very uncommon.
My new unit is aluminum coil and therefore, worthless. I see copper thefts everywherein Vegas. I think they are just rarely reported. I've had some people tell me that the copper thieves might not be smart enough to realize the unit is aluminum, but I figure if they know what copper is, they'll know what aluminium is.

Quote:
Be aware that all these kind of lists always have a few doom sayers bad mouthing the place. These poor people have these ugly lives where their stuff gets stolen and there houses burgled and squatters moving in next door. That however does not happen often to normal people. They do however pollute the list with the attack of a thousand anecdotes.
I thought I was done on the first post, but after thinking about it a while, I decided I wasn't. You don't know me and you don't know anything about my life or how ugly or not it may be. All of the incidents I have reported have actually happened and can be backed up by police reports. I love how you imply that I am some how abnormal, yet I do not spend all day every day trolling message boards posting bull**** data, and then accusing other posters of doing exactly what you are doing, when they are not.

i'm sorry I've pissed on your little real-estate sales parade on city-data, but I, and probably other posters, are quite tired of the BS and agenda driven, politically motivated drivel.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:22 AM

10,822 posts, read 3,782,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
So, you are inferring that I do not live in a nice home? I'd argue that my neighborhood must be nicer, or the thieves and squatters wouldn't want to live in it!

Doesn't sound so skilled to me. Anyone who's done any research on the topic knows its a complete pile of bull**** and isn't supported by any legal precedent anywhere in the United States.

My new unit is aluminum coil and therefore, worthless. I see copper thefts everywherein Vegas. I think they are just rarely reported. I've had some people tell me that the copper thieves might not be smart enough to realize the unit is aluminum, but I figure if they know what copper is, they'll know what aluminium is.

I thought I was done on the first post, but after thinking about it a while, I decided I wasn't. You don't know me and you don't know anything about my life or how ugly or not it may be. All of the incidents I have reported have actually happened and can be backed up by police reports. I love how you imply that I am some how abnormal, yet I do not spend all day every day trolling message boards posting bull**** data, and then accusing other posters of doing exactly what you are doing, when they are not.

i'm sorry I've pissed on your little real-estate sales parade on city-data, but I, and probably other posters, are quite tired of the BS and agenda driven, politically motivated drivel.
Where did I mention you?

You must find that the shoe fits...

Last edited by lvmensch; 09-05-2017 at 12:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or