U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 02:14 AM

145 posts, read 73,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
If there is an asbestos problem, you won't know for 30 or 40 years Anyways. It doesn't matter what your friends say. The asbestos fibres get in the air, then 30 years later you get cancer. If this is acceptable to you, buy it!
Looking at your posts in other threads, you seem to have a negative viewpoint about everything in this town. My parents home was from the early 1970s. Lived there for 1/3 in my life. So by your analysis I'm probably already screwed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 09:09 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,401,971 times
I would run like my hair is on fire from a place with asbestos.

But its $100,000! Your health is worth less than that? What is your friends qualifications on asbestos?

Resale, do you plan on selling it in the future? You might not want it updated but other buyers will.

If you are going to buy it, figure out what it'll take to get it 'safe,' subtract that from the $100,000 and there's your asking price.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:30 AM

10,898 posts, read 3,798,643 times
Here is a view on the subject from the National Cancer Institute...

Everyone is exposed to asbestos at some time during their life. Low levels of asbestos are present in the air, water, and soil. However, most people do not become ill from their exposure. People who become ill from asbestos are usually those who are exposed to it on a regular basis, most often in a job where they work directly with the material or through substantial environmental contact.

I would note that it is present in enough quantity on the far southeast side that those building the new highway section are taking precautions to keep it from getting into the air.

In general however the standard advice for most older homes is leave it alone. Asbestos is dangerous only when friable. That means it turns to a powder when touched. The likely place in a small condo would be pop corn ceilings. But by now virtually all have been painted which pretty well mitigates any problem.

H3ere is the EPA page on the subject.
https://www.epa.gov/asbestos/protect-your-family

OP should get more information on the problem. Primarily where it is. From that it should be easier to determine if there is any significant risk to a resident.

I dealt with the problem for a couple of years when I was responsible for a large three story building in Los Angeles. The problem was the insulation on heating and air conditioning. It was a somewhat unusual building as it was build as a gigantic environmental chamber where the air was cooled to the mid 60s and then heated to a uniform 72F. So it had a massive duct and piping system to achieve a uniform temperature most of which had asbestos insulation. We ended up encapsulating it all.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:16 PM

Have a friend who has been an inspector for 14 years in Nevada. He's even inspected some of the units in the community. I am getting the building permits to see what the renovations have been. Additionally, it's a very nice gated community. I checked the HOA to see if there were any health related lawsuits and couldn't find anything.

He basically told me the same thing. If there's no renovations, which there won't be, I should be fine. But he's happy to come over and look at it.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:47 PM

200 posts, read 138,469 times
I don't believe there are any local labs that do Asbestos testing, closest that I am aware of is Fiberquant in Phoenix, and they will do PCM and TEM. Airborne asbestos sampling requires a specified volume of air to be drawn through a cellulose-ester filter, which isn't DIYable for most people. Might be worth checking with some local environmental labs to see if they would do the sampling for you (and then sub out the analysis).

Old 09-03-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basnobua View Post
I don't believe there are any local labs that do Asbestos testing, closest that I am aware of is Fiberquant in Phoenix, and they will do PCM and TEM. Airborne asbestos sampling requires a specified volume of air to be drawn through a cellulose-ester filter, which isn't DIYable for most people. Might be worth checking with some local environmental labs to see if they would do the sampling for you (and then sub out the analysis).
https://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=209168

Old 09-04-2017, 10:09 AM

22,807 posts, read 21,852,548 times
Lead paint and asbestos "survivor" here. You can hang pictures. Wetting asbestos is part of the removal process, so that doesn't seem a problem to me.

I see that those class action lawsuit commercials have really gotten to people.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:24 PM

I've decided to pass. It's not worth the risk. Looking at the market again. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:35 AM

272 posts, read 137,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasfan1985 View Post
Looking at your posts in other threads, you seem to have a negative viewpoint about everything in this town. My parents home was from the early 1970s. Lived there for 1/3 in my life. So by your analysis I'm probably already screwed.
I don't think the problems of asbestos were really even widely recognized and addressed until the late 80's at the earliest. I already said that if its not been touched, its not really dangerous. The problem occurs when the fibres get into the air (sawing, touching, tearing down). I'm just being realistic. If I were to entertain buying a property full of asbestos, I would want to know where it was and what's already been done about it, if anything.

I could see the costs of abatement getting rather high, and I agree with the other comments concerning resale value. This is a defect you would be legally required to disclose on documentation prior to sale. Even with Clark County's rather liberal disclosure laws, I would be hard pressed to believe that any competent home inspection wouldn't flag this hazard. So, if you buy now, could care less, and then sell to someone else, you are opening yourself up to liability.

I see you decided to pass this one up, so I'm glad my "negativity" pushed you into the right decision. I think people should know what they are getting into. I am not a real estate agent or investor.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:42 AM

272 posts, read 137,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Lead paint and asbestos "survivor" here. You can hang pictures. Wetting asbestos is part of the removal process, so that doesn't seem a problem to me.

I see that those class action lawsuit commercials have really gotten to people.
I'm also a lead paint "survivor" but I don't think this is nearly as big of an issue unless your are literally eating paint chips or are someone who has a job sanding down lead painted walls for a living without a mask.

Asbestos gets into the air when disturbed. Particles are breathed in, move into the blood stream, and sometimes lodge somewhere within the body, and many years later that produces a cancer. The problems in regards to this type of exposure are well known at this point.

Lead exposure is cumulative and requires a certain level of exposure to produce negative effects. These effects will be more pronounced with children who have smaller bodies, and thus, are more easily attaining toxic levels. All it takes is a single errant asbestos particle to cause a cancer. No exposure limit. Any exposure can cause a cancer, period. You can't even really compare the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas