U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 09:07 PM

144 posts, read 73,042 times

Advertisements

So I'm looking to purchase a property, it's a nice home, in a great area, but it's from the 1970s and has Asbestos.

I would love to hear input from those of you in Vegas who have homes or are in this situation. They are condos. It's actually about 800 square feet. I was told the asbestos is throughout the property. I have no intention of doing any renovations ever.

My main concern and I was told by the realtor, that putting holes on the wall could be an issue. So can I not hang photos? And what if a pipe breaks.

For those of you who live with asbestos and Vegas or have stories, let me know what you think. I know the side effects of it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 09:11 PM

272 posts, read 136,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasfan1985 View Post
So I'm looking to purchase a property, it's a nice home, in a great area, but it's from the 1970s and has Asbestos.

I would love to hear input from those of you in Vegas who have homes or are in this situation. They are condos. It's actually about 800 square feet. I was told the asbestos is throughout the property. I have no intention of doing any renovations ever.

My main concern and I was told by the realtor, that putting holes on the wall could be an issue. So can I not hang photos? And what if a pipe breaks.

For those of you who live with asbestos and Vegas or have stories, let me know what you think. I know the side effects of it.
I only read the first sentence. Cross it off your list. It needs to be torn down and disposed of properly.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:17 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,267,646 times
I suggest you search the forums

This one came up, might be of help:
Buying older house (-70s) what to be aware of?

Old 09-02-2017, 11:54 PM

10,753 posts, read 3,759,045 times
Hasa asbestos is not sufficient. The standard usage after WW II was pipe insulation, home siding, floor tiles and rarely in popcorn ceilings. All are reasonably containable and seldom require any action.

I am not aware of any usage of asbestos in wall board or wall treatments. So there is no reason why you could not hang pictures. If you get into the problem like taking down a popcorn ceiling you need to be a little careful but mostly keeping the stuff wet covers it. If you actually have to remove asbestos tile from a floor or pipes you need someone who is qualified to do the work. Needs sealing of the area and hazmat suits and masks.

Had one house where we searched homes being reworked or demolished to find old asbestos wall tiles to replace a couple broken. Other option was to reface the entire home.

In one place we had asbestos tile but we simply left it in place and retiled over it.

I would expect to find some asbestos in any building built before the late 70s. But I would not worry about it unless into large reconstruction.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Hasa asbestos is not sufficient. The standard usage after WW II was pipe insulation, home siding, floor tiles and rarely in popcorn ceilings. All are reasonably containable and seldom require any action.

I am not aware of any usage of asbestos in wall board or wall treatments. So there is no reason why you could not hang pictures. If you get into the problem like taking down a popcorn ceiling you need to be a little careful but mostly keeping the stuff wet covers it. If you actually have to remove asbestos tile from a floor or pipes you need someone who is qualified to do the work. Needs sealing of the area and hazmat suits and masks.

Had one house where we searched homes being reworked or demolished to find old asbestos wall tiles to replace a couple broken. Other option was to reface the entire home.

In one place we had asbestos tile but we simply left it in place and retiled over it.

I would expect to find some asbestos in any building built before the late 70s. But I would not worry about it unless into large reconstruction.
What lvmensch says is accurate, but I would avoid the situation altogether if I could. You just don't know what you're going to find in that place. If it were me, I'd skip it.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:06 AM

10,753 posts, read 3,759,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
What lvmensch says is accurate, but I would avoid the situation altogether if I could. You just don't know what you're going to find in that place. If it were me, I'd skip it.
That is a tradeoff I would leave to the buyer. The nice thing about 1970s place is they are cheap. So if your budget has limits you may find dealing with asbestos is a better deal than buying a 1980s place.

The place where we tiled over the asbestos tiles was worth 3/4 of a million dollars. So it is not simply a cheap old place issue. It was actually a desire to be rid of the old asbestos and we decided it was better and cheaper to just entomb it in new ceramic tile. Not without problems though. Trying raising floors 5/8 or so and see the funny thing you need to fix.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
That is a tradeoff I would leave to the buyer. The nice thing about 1970s place is they are cheap. So if your budget has limits you may find dealing with asbestos is a better deal than buying a 1980s place.

The place where we tiled over the asbestos tiles was worth 3/4 of a million dollars. So it is not simply a cheap old place issue. It was actually a desire to be rid of the old asbestos and we decided it was better and cheaper to just entomb it in new ceramic tile. Not without problems though. Trying raising floors 5/8 or so and see the funny thing you need to fix.
The asbestos is only okay if you can avoid it or go around it. If you have ventilation shafts wrapped in asbestos... fine. If you don't need to touch it, its not really dangerous. Like lvmensch says, if you can wrap it or go over it, its fine. The real problems happen when you need to move walls etc where you have to dig into it. THEN, its a PROBLEM. And not a small one.

I still say, if you can avoid it, you should. If you can't, make sure you know what you're getting into.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:25 AM

I want to say, if there is asbestos in the place, make sure you know where it is and whats been done to abate it. Abatement can be as simple as adding a layer or shellac, but you need to be aware that it is there and what to do if you need to disturb it.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:03 AM

144 posts, read 73,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
I want to say, if there is asbestos in the place, make sure you know where it is and whats been done to abate it. Abatement can be as simple as adding a layer or shellac, but you need to be aware that it is there and what to do if you need to disturb it.
It's an 800 square foot condo and I have no plans to do any remodeling to it. Another buyer didn't want the property because he wanted to remodel the bathroom.

I have a friend who has inspected many of the units over there and he says he's never witnessed anything negative over there.

The property is going for 100,000 and I really want it. Saw it today, but I'll do detailed homework.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:10 AM

If there is an asbestos problem, you won't know for 30 or 40 years Anyways. It doesn't matter what your friends say. The asbestos fibres get in the air, then 30 years later you get cancer. If this is acceptable to you, buy it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas