U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2017, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Southern Nevada
2,534 posts, read 1,005,656 times
Reputation: 2689

Advertisements

Just curious. Most of the houses I've looked at don't have the cable TV jacks where I want them. Will Cox install lines and jacks or should I get someone else?

Cost is not really an issue unless it's outrageous. I just want it done right and not sure who would be the right person to do something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2017, 08:12 AM
 
3,586 posts, read 1,840,736 times
Reputation: 3865
Cable companies will do inside cabling but there will be a cost. Your best bet is to call Cox and ask them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Southern Nevada
2,534 posts, read 1,005,656 times
Reputation: 2689
I was a union electrician before going to law school and changing careers and I've done stuff like that before. Now, however, I just don't want to bother with it. Cox says $25 per outlet, but I don't believe that. I might have 2-3 that need to be done and for $100 or less, I'd let them do it providing they don't tear the walls apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 11:04 AM
 
336 posts, read 194,675 times
Reputation: 242
some of the people they send out are great others not so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 11:53 AM
 
1,686 posts, read 3,053,040 times
Reputation: 1791
I am sure for $25/outlet they will string it along the exterior stucco and drill a hole in the wall with no sealant.

I've never seen a Cox in-wall fish. I know they sub out all this stuff.

If you want an in-wall fish, I'd find someone who has experience with that. Should be plenty of low voltage installers doing camera work that have been doing a ton of in-wall fishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
I was a union electrician before going to law school and changing careers and I've done stuff like that before. Now, however, I just don't want to bother with it. Cox says $25 per outlet, but I don't believe that. I might have 2-3 that need to be done and for $100 or less, I'd let them do it providing they don't tear the walls apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 02:52 PM
 
2,132 posts, read 2,199,140 times
Reputation: 1301
Have you considered getting an a la carte streaming service?

https://www.sling.com/

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/?gaiachoice=true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 03:22 PM
 
798 posts, read 466,964 times
Reputation: 875
Camaro..If you aren't stuck on cox for tv for any particular reason, you can get directv. They have a wireless system that doesn't need any outlet for the TV. It works pretty well for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
772 posts, read 1,494,239 times
Reputation: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead View Post
Camaro..If you aren't stuck on cox for tv for any particular reason, you can get directv. They have a wireless system that doesn't need any outlet for the TV. It works pretty well for us.
It works well for us too, not to mention their app will allow you to watch all of your channels wherever you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 04:15 PM
 
Location: 89121
214 posts, read 105,969 times
Reputation: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I am sure for $25/outlet they will string it along the exterior stucco and drill a hole in the wall with no sealant.

I've never seen a Cox in-wall fish. I know they sub out all this stuff.

If you want an in-wall fish, I'd find someone who has experience with that. Should be plenty of low voltage installers doing camera work that have been doing a ton of in-wall fishes.
+1. And have them run some cat5 too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 04:16 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,497 posts, read 4,687,397 times
Reputation: 5922
It's about 120 per line to wall fish a line. Most installs will include a certain number of lines that will be run on the exterior of the home. Usually 2. I believe it's 60 per additional exterior line. It's been a few years so I don't remember exactly.

99 times out of 100 when you set up an install cox is going to send it to a subcontractor. Pratt Communications, Prince Telecom, IES etc.


There are a surprising number of newer houses with NO cable lines in the walls at all. There are even more with 1 or 2 badly places cables. I can not fathom why they would do this. It would take one tech 1 day to run wires during construction. Be under 1,000 bucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top