U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2017, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 314 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am currently a student preparing to enter into my Physical Therapy Assistant program next September. For the time being, I have landed a job as a Dental Assistant! It's been a great job so far as I train, and I absolutely love being able to build professional relationships/mentors.

Here is the dilemma.
I would love to take one great trip before I enter into my program. Everyone says they intend to travel after they've established a career- but few people end up having the money or independence to do so. I have enough money to pay for a trip to Thailand right now- HOWEVER I WOULD NEED TWO WEEKS OFF.

I am not looking for payed time off- and I only work three days a week at this office. Those weeks I would need are over 9 months away and I will have been employed for a little over a year by this time.

Do you think this is a reasonable request? or have I missed my time to travel?
(note: this is a small office- close to the size of an outpatient center for many medical professions)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 03:34 PM

1,828 posts, read 1,265,176 times
I'm not sure what you're asking exactly.

If it's a delayed start as a PTA or time off soon after accepting a job as a PTA the same rules apply as with any other job, you need to let your potential employer know you have planned and booked a vacation

Also, finding work as a PTA in Las Vegas is hit or miss. Sometimes there are plentiful jobs and sometimes there are zero. Just don't be disheartened if you can't find one initially, I know of someone that it took a few months.and then when they landed a job, other offers came piling in

Old 09-09-2017, 04:57 PM

1,681 posts, read 3,045,042 times
I assume you will quit your job once you start the PTA program? Can you just quit 2-3 weeks before your PTA program starts and travel at that time?

Old 09-09-2017, 05:52 PM

10,732 posts, read 3,748,229 times
in the course of ones life there are a few opportunities to do wonderful things. I did a whole lot of that and got paid to do it. In fact I have only one bucket list item left...I and my first wife planned a trip to Australia and New Zealand for our 25th Anniversary. Unfortunately she passed away a few months before we got there May yet do it but the new wife has seniority now and will have to agree. .

So go. Try really hard to make it work smoothly. You almost always win with long lead time and good will.

But, if not, go anyway. Life is too short to miss obvious might have been.

Via con Dios.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:05 AM

1,542 posts, read 848,256 times
14 time zones for two weeks? Flying in economy? Sounds lime a very depressing trip home.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:41 AM

1,828 posts, read 1,265,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
14 time zones for two weeks? Flying in economy? Sounds lime a very depressing trip home.
xanax makes economy feel like first class
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or