Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 02:24 PM

848 posts, read 647,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I did bring up school clothes cost.....

Life is tough. I am not going to keep my kids home in a bubble because there are bullies in school. My kids will tough it out and either get stringer because of it, of fail miserably.
If they can't hack it, then they suck at life and will never make it anyway.
If they do make it, then they will be prepared for the big kick in the butt the real world will give them.
The crap boss. The sneaky coworker. The moron in line at the bank. The crap cop that pulls them over.

I got bullied in school but you know what, I don't take crap from anyone because of it. I learned how to deal with the problems life throws at me because of my experiences growing up. I can deal with a lot more than your typical homeschooled kid, I can tell you that much for sure.

My only issue with school is the curriculum. There's little that's actually useful.

I firmly disagree with the notion that common core helps critical thinking. I see my kids homework and it's horrible.
It's pure garbage. I understand what it is supposed to do. But it doesn't do it.
I would encourage you to read my latest post in response to someone else. Kids, and even parents, have issues with one another in the homeschool community. The difference between school and homeschooling is the kids almost always figure out a way to work it out on their own, and if they are unable to do so, they can leave the situation to find a better one. School does not give you that option, and that is not real life. In real life you always have the option to quit your job if you have a bad boss or move if you have a bad neighbor.

I agree with you that experience shapes us and is the best teacher. However, I want my children's experience based on real life, not the artificial reality of school. My wife and I work every day to ensure they do not turn into one of the many so-called snowflakes, or teacups as I read in a book by a former Stanford dean of students, on college campuses today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 02:59 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
So I taught myself how to weld. Now I help teach a class on welding. While I did manage to learn on my own. It would have been FAR better to learn with a bit of assistance. I've been moonlighting at a local fabrication shop. The few things I was having trouble with he pointed out and helped a lot. You don't get that in homeschooling. Parents are limited in their scope of knowledge. This is why as we advance in school we have a number of different teachers. Each one can teach us something different. And if you find a bunch of different teachers outside of school, you're not homeschooling, you're sending your kid to a nontraditional school.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
So I taught myself how to weld. Now I help teach a class on welding. While I did manage to learn on my own. It would have been FAR better to learn with a bit of assistance. I've been moonlighting at a local fabrication shop. The few things I was having trouble with he pointed out and helped a lot. You don't get that in homeschooling. Parents are limited in their scope of knowledge. This is why as we advance in school we have a number of different teachers. Each one can teach us something different. And if you find a bunch of different teachers outside of school, you're not homeschooling, you're sending your kid to a nontraditional school.
We'll have to agree to disagree. We homeschool, and I don't think you really can appreciate the depth and breadth of learning which occurs unless you do it yourself. The vast majority of homeschoolers do not sit at home all day waiting for mom and dad to spoon feed them information. Ironically, that is what happens in school, yet I find it interesting that very few people think that is odd.

I think a better term I have heard recently for what many in the homeschooling community are doing would be called self-directed learning. Whether the learning is done on their own or with the assistance of parents or outside teachers, it clearly is not school, traditional or not. In fact, the anecdote you provided above is self-directed learning, and I think all kids ought to have those kinds of opportunities to learn a skill or a trade.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:51 PM

I just read the following article posted today in the Las Vegas Review-Journal on the performance of our state and local schools, and once again, it is more disappointing news: https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/e...h-proficiency/. I found the introductory statement in the article to be particularly troubling: "Less than half of students in Nevada and Clark County in grades three through eight are proficient in English and about one-third are proficient in math, according to new data from the state Department of Education."

Old 09-12-2017, 09:36 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
Makes for a nice headline but the reality is we have a huge district with a handful of extremely under performing schools that drag down the average. Plenty of good schools that have respectable test scores.

Frank Lamping ES in Henderson is > 90% proficient in math, reading, and science.

https://www.greatschools.org/nevada/...l/#Test_scores

On the flip side you've got Red Rock ES serving the Charleston/Jones area with 28-45% meeting proficiency.

https://www.greatschools.org/nevada/...entary-School/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
I just read the following article posted today in the Las Vegas Review-Journal on the performance of our state and local schools, and once again, it is more disappointing news: https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/e...h-proficiency/. I found the introductory statement in the article to be particularly troubling: "Less than half of students in Nevada and Clark County in grades three through eight are proficient in English and about one-third are proficient in math, according to new data from the state Department of Education."

Last edited by WestieJeff; 09-12-2017 at 09:45 PM..

Old 09-12-2017, 09:39 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Got a little problem with the Cato Chart. Here is another. I would also point out that CCSD has the lowest ration of Administrators to Students in NV. Mostly by a lot.

I would also point out the SW States have a long history of short changing education. NV is no exception.

NDIrish is a true believer. So you need to take it with a grain of salt. For instance Common Cause actually started as a right wing thing and had little Federal involvement. It is also very close to the curriculum of Massachusetts generally considered the best in the US. It has been crashing the last couple of years due primarily to political considerations. Way to soon to have any real performance information.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:44 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Makes for a nice headline but the reality is we have a huge district with a handful of extremely under performing schools that drag down the average. Plenty of good schools that have respectable test scores.

Frank Lamping ES in Henderson is > 90% proficient in math, reading, and science.

https://www.greatschools.org/nevada/...l/#Test_scores
Yup...and you put CCSD in the list of big school systems...LA, NY Chicago etc. Suddenly it is not so bad.

Basically we are demonstrating that we still don't know how to run a big school system with a high minority population.

You can break up the school system but that just camouflages the problem. Things don't really get better you simply concentrate the bad and the good.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
So I taught myself how to weld.
Learning how to weld is on my bucket list. Ultimately, I'd like to learn how to weld stainless steel.

Learning how not to procrastinate is also on my bucket list.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:40 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,374 times
Quote:
But as it stands, it costs us nothing to send the kids to school. BUT, we have to pay for lunches or send lunches we also have to pay for. We have to buy clothes and supplies. Then about once a week the schools send various fund raiser bs home with the kids. Once a month or so they have some assembly or program or open house where we go and they ask for money..

You have to feed and cloth them anyway? Seriously why have children? I'm sure you don't mean it this way but you make it sound like such a burden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboman55 View Post
im just saying I don't think parents should be able to have 6 children going to school on the tax payers dime. Would some couple having 20 children be ok for the taxpayers to pay for them ? Crazy stuff
The national average is like 1.9 kids per family. I don't have any as most my friends have one or none. So it balances out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA;49486871[B
]Why do people insist on complaining about the least egregious things tax money goes to?
[/b]
We spend more on one bomb for a goat farmer's shack than we do sending those 20 kids to school.
One Tomahawk missile is roughly 750,000 or 75 students.
The US dropped 59 of them on Syria recently in protest for an alleged Assad gas attack. So we killed a boat load of Syrians to show how bad killing Syrians is.
Roughly 44 million dollars.
4,400 students.

We spend more on ONE inmate than we do on 3 students. Average 30,000 per year to house one inmate.
Average cost to send 1 kid to school 10,000 per year.
In California it costs 75,000 to house one inmate. That's 7.5 students. One year of Harvard, full room and board max tuition, is 63,000.

We give about 43 Billion a year out in foreign aid. That is 4.3 million students.

Charles Schwab, that billionaire, got 564,000 in farm subsidies in one year to grow rice to attract ducks for him to hunt with his buddies. He is not the only one, either. There are 50 billionaires getting farm subsidies.
56.5 students.

We spent 150,000,000,000 150 BILLION on military bases in other countries.
15 MILLION students.

We only have 50 million k-12 public school students in the country.

Nevada is spending 750 million on a sportsball stadium.
7,500 students.

Single child households out number multiple child households and the trend is growing.
Spending money to educate people is the dumbest thing ever to object to.
Wish I could give you 1,000 reps. Smartest post on here.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:02 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
I do have to feed and clothe them anyway. However, I don't need to buy them backpacks or school uniforms or special clothes for gym class.
The cost of feeding them at school is not much but I have to have 1.50 per kid in cash at home every day and that can be a pain. I don't really mess with cash any more. Lyft pay is direct deposit, and most of my fabrication customers pay me with paypal. Only time I get cash is tips and for rent.

Sporty, I help teach a weld class. If you're interested PM me. The main guy doing the teaching has been doing it for 17 years, so you're not relying on me to learn. I mainly help out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: