U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2017, 07:50 AM
 
142 posts, read 103,977 times
Reputation: 143

Advertisements

I was just wondering.... how much does it cost a parent in Las Vegas to send their child to school for a year?? Do the taxpayers pick up the vast majority of the cost? And... the big question is..... can parents have 6 children and just let the taxpayers pay for them??? It should be that the first child has the normal rules as far as what the taxpayer pays for them but after the first child... the parents pick up the whole tab for any others they decided to have. Another rule should be... the parents pay for summer school since their child isn't doing well in reg school during the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2017, 08:18 AM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,529 posts, read 4,704,024 times
Reputation: 5969
I would gladly pay for school if it actually taught people useful things. If they want me to pay for the garbage they currently serve I'd keep my kids home.

But as it stands, it costs us nothing to send the kids to school. BUT, we have to pay for lunches or send lunches we also have to pay for. We have to buy clothes and supplies. Then about once a week the schools send various fund raiser bs home with the kids. Once a month or so they have some assembly or program or open house where we go and they ask for money. Even in a state with a lottery that is called the education lottery that was supposed to fund schools 100% we got hit up for money constantly.

Sell cookies. Sell candy. Sell tshirts. Buy this. Buy that.
Teach my kids useful things and I'll make donations. No need for convoluted mlm schemes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2017, 12:02 PM
 
13,488 posts, read 9,661,530 times
Reputation: 17442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboman55 View Post
I was just wondering.... how much does it cost a parent in Las Vegas to send their child to school for a year?? Do the taxpayers pick up the vast majority of the cost? And... the big question is..... can parents have 6 children and just let the taxpayers pay for them??? It should be that the first child has the normal rules as far as what the taxpayer pays for them but after the first child... the parents pick up the whole tab for any others they decided to have. Another rule should be... the parents pay for summer school since their child isn't doing well in reg school during the year.
Parents do pay for summer school. My eldest brat cost me $500 one year by failing a relatively easy class because he pissed off the teacher.

The reason that public school is a right for all US children and not dependent on the parent's ability to pay is because it's the right thing to do, both for the children, and society at large. Look around at countries that have a high number of illiterate citizens and see if you'd like to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2017, 12:03 PM
 
142 posts, read 103,977 times
Reputation: 143
Default take responsibility for how many kids you have

im just saying I don't think parents should be able to have 6 children going to school on the tax payers dime. Would some couple having 20 children be ok for the taxpayers to pay for them ? Crazy stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2017, 01:41 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,529 posts, read 4,704,024 times
Reputation: 5969
Why do people insist on complaining about the least egregious things tax money goes to?

We spend more on one bomb for a goat farmer's shack than we do sending those 20 kids to school.
One Tomahawk missile is roughly 750,000 or 75 students.
The US dropped 59 of them on Syria recently in protest for an alleged Assad gas attack. So we killed a boat load of Syrians to show how bad killing Syrians is.
Roughly 44 million dollars.
4,400 students.

We spend more on ONE inmate than we do on 3 students. Average 30,000 per year to house one inmate.
Average cost to send 1 kid to school 10,000 per year.
In California it costs 75,000 to house one inmate. That's 7.5 students. One year of Harvard, full room and board max tuition, is 63,000.

We give about 43 Billion a year out in foreign aid. That is 4.3 million students.

Charles Schwab, that billionaire, got 564,000 in farm subsidies in one year to grow rice to attract ducks for him to hunt with his buddies. He is not the only one, either. There are 50 billionaires getting farm subsidies.
56.5 students.

We spent 150,000,000,000 150 BILLION on military bases in other countries.
15 MILLION students.

We only have 50 million k-12 public school students in the country.

Nevada is spending 750 million on a sportsball stadium.
7,500 students.

Single child households out number multiple child households and the trend is growing.
Spending money to educate people is the dumbest thing ever to object to.

Last edited by EA; 09-11-2017 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Spelling correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2017, 02:06 PM
 
Location: la la land
27,443 posts, read 11,522,082 times
Reputation: 19416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboman55 View Post
im just saying I don't think parents should be able to have 6 children going to school on the tax payers dime. Would some couple having 20 children be ok for the taxpayers to pay for them ? Crazy stuff
When a state offers free public education, equal access must be afforded to every child in the state. There are numerous SCOTUS decisions supporting that. You can't prohibit undocumented kids from attending public school and disabled kids are entitled to a level of special education appropriate to their condition. So, no you can't decide people who have 6 kids need to pay for the education of five of them out of pocket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2017, 02:08 PM
 
Location: la la land
27,443 posts, read 11,522,082 times
Reputation: 19416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboman55 View Post
I was just wondering.... how much does it cost a parent in Las Vegas to send their child to school for a year?? Do the taxpayers pick up the vast majority of the cost? And... the big question is..... can parents have 6 children and just let the taxpayers pay for them??? It should be that the first child has the normal rules as far as what the taxpayer pays for them but after the first child... the parents pick up the whole tab for any others they decided to have. Another rule should be... the parents pay for summer school since their child isn't doing well in reg school during the year.
I don't know of many school districts that offer free summer school anymore, it was free when I went to school in the 60's but it's certainly not free in the district where my grandson attends school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2017, 02:35 PM
 
583 posts, read 254,420 times
Reputation: 2423
I don't have an issue with paying for education, whether a family is rich, low-income, has one kid or ten kids, I just wish they'd overhaul the garbage public school system, take politics out of the classroom and get back to the basics. My niece graduated high school in 2010 and can't do multiplication tables. We're churning out a generation of idiots because we'd rather kids have high self-esteem than fail a test or be marked down for mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2017, 02:58 PM
 
13,488 posts, read 9,661,530 times
Reputation: 17442
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
I don't have an issue with paying for education, whether a family is rich, low-income, has one kid or ten kids, I just wish they'd overhaul the garbage public school system, take politics out of the classroom and get back to the basics. My niece graduated high school in 2010 and can't do multiplication tables. We're churning out a generation of idiots because we'd rather kids have high self-esteem than fail a test or be marked down for mistakes.
I don't know about that. Both my kids graduated from school here and none of the teachers had a problem slapping an F on a paper or report card. If I'd said something about their self-esteem I would have been laughed off campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2017, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Between amicable and ornery
1,089 posts, read 1,379,317 times
Reputation: 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Why do people insist on complaining about the least egregious things tax money goes to?

We spend more on one bomb for a goat farmer's shack than we do sending those 20 kids to school.
One Tomahawk missile is roughly 750,000 or 75 students.
The US dropped 59 of them on Syria recently in protest for an alleged Assad gas attack. So we killed a boat load of Syrians to show how bad killing Syrians is.
Roughly 44 million dollars.
4,400 students.

We spend more on ONE inmate than we do on 3 students. Average 30,000 per year to house one inmate.
Average cost to send 1 kid to school 10,000 per year.
In California it costs 75,000 to house one inmate. That's 7.5 students. One year of Harvard, full room and board max tuition, is 63,000.

We give about 43 Billion a year out in foreign aid. That is 4.3 million students.

Charles Schwab, that billionaire, got 564,000 in farm subsidies in one year to grow rice to attract ducks for him to hunt with his buddies. He is not the only one, either. There are 50 billionaires getting farm subsidies.
56.5 students.

We spent 150,000,000,000 150 BILLION on military bases in other countries.
15 MILLION students.

We only have 50 million k-12 public school students in the country.

Nevada is spending 750 million on a sportsball stadium.
7,500 students.

Single child households out number multiple child households and the trend is growing.
Spending money to educate people is the dumbest thing ever to object to.
EA - I came out of the woodwork to say I couldn't rep you enough for this post. People are under the perception that poor people still from the "guvment". It's the the rich that are the professional Grand Larcenists. And silly po' folks hand them the shovel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top