U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 10:48 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,752,885 times

Advertisements

Just recently I was in a conversation with another person who was house shopping and was told that realtors can no longer show houses for sale without written proof for the seller of how the buyer will be paying. They also went on to say sellers will no longer accept contingencies and realtors will not write them. In other words, if you're buying money is currently tied up in the house you are living in, you must sell that first and be able to prove that money is liquid before an agent will show you a house for sale. Others in the conversation agreed that is how it is done now.

If this is true, isn't this something that will play total havoc in our housing market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 11:05 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,391,095 times
I heard no contingencies couple months ago.

The very high end agents want your name a contact info before wasting their time. So many people posing to see the inside of a house. This started in about 1999. We went through it.

The source of funds doesn't surprise me. I think that has been around for awhile too.

Its'll weed out the phony's. Won't waste agents time and I think most agents are bad businesspeople.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:11 AM

395 posts, read 250,591 times
Housing Market is going to crash again.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:16 AM

206 posts, read 129,319 times
I recently sold a home and when offers came in the buyer's realtor also sent the buyer's financial info and letter from their bank showing that they were pre-approved. I was a little surprised as I never asked for that information. The realtor even sent me their 401k statements! I thought that was crossing the line.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:31 AM

10,713 posts, read 3,748,229 times
It all depends. You do find some very expensive houses that will require financial proof prior to showing...but mostly way above a million. Even then some take a dicker to get a showing. And you can talk your way past these most of the time.

Conventional contingencies are difficult in the existing market but variations are possible particularly on homes that have been listed for a long time.

In general proof of funds or a mortgage commitment are standard when an offer is made. The general practice is to strike account information and such from such documents. In reality the only really good proof of funds is a phone call to a bank officer that vouches for the amount involved but that is seldom requested.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:50 PM

1,827 posts, read 1,265,176 times
A preapproval letter from a bank is usually sufficient

Why would an agent potentially waste time with someone that is unprepared and potentially unqualified?

Old 09-11-2017, 01:42 PM

1,681 posts, read 3,045,042 times
Don't believe everything you hear.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:26 PM

9,955 posts, read 8,445,983 times
Based on what, that it's high? That's not good enough.

Last time around, you could see the banks writing loans that anyone with a working brain could see were never going to be paid back. That isn't the case now. Mortgages are much more difficult, and the market is still rising. And Vegas is still cheap compared to Cali. A lot of people are selling out of Cali, buying in Vegas, and keeping the substantial profit from the transaction.

At some point it's going to top out. But that's different from a crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soclose View Post
Housing Market is going to crash again.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:52 PM

2,953 posts, read 1,391,095 times
BBMW - you are so right. This is different than 2005-2007.

An agent told a friend who was going to sell to wait till when Raiders are moving here. Her house is in the price range of a Raiders lower level white collar job. Her house has went up about $70,000 since 2012. When she last had the family friend out to talk about selling.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:45 AM

142 posts, read 72,591 times
When I was looking at buying a house before renting, I was told without a pre-approved letter from a lender and proof of job, bank statements, etc, I couldn't see a unit till I provided all that info.

Realtors want to know you have the money and are ready to go before moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas