Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 11:15 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,804,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nonsense. If you give specific advice to a client you may have some risk. But telling the world it appears that Las Vegas is going up pretty steadily for the next two years or so has no risk. And that is true...There you go...sue me.

My blanket policy holder might be annoyed but I would not notice. Nor would my broker.

The good RE Agent brings understanding to a client who needs it. That is why it did not and will not go the way of the stock broker or the travel agent. A much more needed service.

And you find it redundant and unnecessary because you are not smart enough to understand why it persists.

your problem not the RE Agents.
You seem like a very intelligent person, and by my understanding you are and have been a real estate agent for many years.

Unfortunately, most agents are different. They are dimwits. Blame low barriers to entry.

Anyway, my prediction still stands. Maybe it will take 10 years, but the need for a real estate agent will disappear, and it will be a swift death

Just like the tens of thousands of Uber drivers. They are simply a stopgap until automated driving takes over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 11:39 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
why listen to a real estate agent? any peanut can get a job as a realtor in under a week.

their job is simply to facilitate transactions and show houses. nothing more.
certainly not to comment on their opinion of the state of the market, that could get them in hot water.
If this were the case, all the FSBO listings would be the rage would they not? And while they are not always right and certainly there are some bad agents out there, but would you at least think their opinion was more likely to be accurate than someone who is not in the business on a daily basis?

People need to take responsibility for their actions after all. There are lots of people who give advice on anything and everything out there. People when they get advice need to understand an opinion from someone is not a guarantee. They also need to understand the limits of their advice. You can't blame realtors for not warning people housing prices were going to decline 10 years ago for example, there was never going to be a scenario where someone would intentionally fire themselves from their livelihood.

Its good to hear from quality realtors on here. None have ever made me want to run out and buy a house, but they are the best keepers of the pulse of the market. To tell them they should never share an opinion because there was a housing crash before so they should just keep their mouths shut is a ridiculous thing to suggest.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:48 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,804,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
If this were the case, all the FSBO listings would be the rage would they not? And while they are not always right and certainly there are some bad agents out there, but would you at least think their opinion was more likely to be accurate than someone who is not in the business on a daily basis?
FSBO listings aren't all the rage because you still need an intermediary that will replace the real estate agent. An app should just about do it.

Who cares what a real estate agent thinks? If I'm buying the biggest purchase of my life, I would do all the research myself and also get expert opinions from those whose best interests do not conflict with mine. That would exclude realtors

Old 09-15-2017, 06:22 AM

261 posts, read 234,642 times
I am an investor who began purchasing in 2010, last purchase in Rancho/Okey area in 2015. I see a great market but always choose your area carefully. It is a very diverse valley.

I never buy in Nellis area, or east of I-15, just my choice. Most in 89081, one gated area too, Sundance-Shadows, has been very good to me as rentals. All of my houses are up 100% from purchase price, a few at 125%.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:20 AM

799 posts, read 707,947 times
A very wise person once told me that you buy your home as a place to live first, and an investment second. I always took that to mean that you obviously consider the financial end of it, but you do have to "live" there and be happy. So the best investment may not always be the best place to live. So, if you're happy with your house, it fits your needs, and you can afford it, you're in a good place.

While I probably wouldn't have thought telephone operators would go the way of the dinosaur, I'll go out on a limb and doubt the extinction of the real estate agent as well. They provide, in my opinion, a valuable single point of contact for many valuable services, buyer or seller. There are many details that have to mesh together for a successful sale, and having a competent, caring agent in your corner really makes a difference. For some, they may have the time, knowledge, and desire to deal with all of them personally, but for many, it's an area best left for others. I don't think an app is going to change that dynamic. But, who knows...my telephone magically switches all by itself now....LOL..

Old 09-15-2017, 07:34 AM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead View Post
A very wise person once told me that you buy your home as a place to live first, and an investment second. I always took that to mean that you obviously consider the financial end of it, but you do have to "live" there and be happy. So the best investment may not always be the best place to live. So, if you're happy with your house, it fits your needs, and you can afford it, you're in a good place.

While I probably wouldn't have thought telephone operators would go the way of the dinosaur, I'll go out on a limb and doubt the extinction of the real estate agent as well. They provide, in my opinion, a valuable single point of contact for many valuable services, buyer or seller. There are many details that have to mesh together for a successful sale, and having a competent, caring agent in your corner really makes a difference. For some, they may have the time, knowledge, and desire to deal with all of them personally, but for many, it's an area best left for others. I don't think an app is going to change that dynamic. But, who knows...my telephone magically switches all by itself now....LOL..
Exactly. We have a budget and will stay within that. We're paying cash, so there is no financing or temptation to spend more than we want to. First and foremost, we want a nice place to live.

As for RE agents, our experience with the two we're using from Century 21 (selling here and buying there) has been positive. The guy in Henderson has been helpful in sending listings, some over our budget, but overall he's not bad. Maybe a little pushy, but he's a salesman. What do you expect?

The guy we're using here has been great. Did an awesome job with having a professional photographer come out and they put together a really good virtual tour with great photos. The listing goes live this morning and we already have four interested parties. Hope to get it sold fast, and the agent thinks that will happen. The market here (NW suburbs of Chicago) has been hot, especially in our town and at our price point.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:29 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalBowler View Post
There is plenty of future slack, but the criminal organizations and central bankers did a great job artificially tightening the Vegas market. Kudos.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:58 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, most agents are different. They are dimwits. Blame low barriers to entry.

Anyway, my prediction still stands. Maybe it will take 10 years, but the need for a real estate agent will disappear, and it will be a swift death

Just like the tens of thousands of Uber drivers. They are simply a stopgap until automated driving takes over.
Leadership at the National Association of Realtors are not dimwits. They spend a ton of money on lobbying at both the federal and state level to promote the interests of realtors.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/sum...?id=D000000062

As to the "need" for a real estate agent -- you do not "need" an agent today. You can buy or sell without one. Hence, I'm not sure what you are complaining about.

Quote:
FSBO listings aren't all the rage because you still need an intermediary that will replace the real estate agent. An app should just about do it.
In Nevada you do not need a real estate agent. In Nevada you do not need a real estate attorney. I believe some states require (or at least they used to require) a real estate attorney. In Nevada you can execute a transaction without either.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:55 AM

209 posts, read 263,473 times
In the last 5 years I have bought and sold a combined four properties. I used a traditional RE to buy one and sell one (different agents), and then used a Redfin agent to buy one and sell one. Just my personal opinion based on my four separate experiences, I will never use a traditional independent RE again, especially if I am selling. I used to be very skeptical of the thought of having Redfin as my 'agent', but after taking the leap and giving it a try I'll always use them from here on out. The services are so much better than what a traditional RE offers.

That said, even using Redfin, I am still using a professional in the industry to assist my purchase/sale. I am not doing it myself. I still believe buyers/sellers should have a real estate professional involved. I just appreciate the Redfin approach where the agent gets involved when they need to, but other than that I am in control and can use their tools to research and do my homework. The online tools they provide exclusively to their clients is amazing. The general public can use their site to look at homes, but there are so many more tools that unlock once you sign up to have Redfin represent you. It's the future of real estate.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:15 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabtrees View Post
In the last 5 years I have bought and sold a combined four properties. I used a traditional RE to buy one and sell one (different agents), and then used a Redfin agent to buy one and sell one. Just my personal opinion based on my four separate experiences, I will never use a traditional independent RE again, especially if I am selling. I used to be very skeptical of the thought of having Redfin as my 'agent', but after taking the leap and giving it a try I'll always use them from here on out. The services are so much better than what a traditional RE offers.

That said, even using Redfin, I am still using a professional in the industry to assist my purchase/sale. I am not doing it myself. I still believe buyers/sellers should have a real estate professional involved. I just appreciate the Redfin approach where the agent gets involved when they need to, but other than that I am in control and can use their tools to research and do my homework. The online tools they provide exclusively to their clients is amazing. The general public can use their site to look at homes, but there are so many more tools that unlock once you sign up to have Redfin represent you. It's the future of real estate.
Redfin does not employ real estate agents in Las Vegas. There is no "Redfin Realty". Redfin contracts with traditional real estate agencies to represent them here. If you wish, you can eliminate Redfin and negotiate an agreement directly with the real estate agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas