Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:42 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,686,340 times

Advertisements

What general area is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 12:30 AM

6 posts, read 36,205 times
Vegas does have a high crime rate and you may not like what I have to say but here it is: Due to the high influx of Californians moving here, bringing gang members and illegals with them, our crime rate has gone up and up and up. People move here to find a "new life" and unfortunately that usually means we get the people who come here to find fast success, not establish permanent roots. I hate what has happened to this city, and I would be glad to leave it all behind if my entire family were not here. To stop the crime rate, we would need to stop the 5000+ people moving here every month!

Old 01-19-2007, 06:36 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNevadan View Post
Vegas does have a high crime rate and you may not like what I have to say but here it is: Due to the high influx of Californians moving here, bringing gang members and illegals with them, our crime rate has gone up and up and up. People move here to find a "new life" and unfortunately that usually means we get the people who come here to find fast success, not establish permanent roots. I hate what has happened to this city, and I would be glad to leave it all behind if my entire family were not here. To stop the crime rate, we would need to stop the 5000+ people moving here every month!
Once again you are correct! I think that a lot of the negative things in Las Vegas stem from all the illegals being there. By and large they are the ones doing the graffitti, gangs, etc. It's certainly not the people that move there that work hard and contribute to the community that is bringing it down (like me).

But everytime I mentioned the problems with all the illegals in the city I just called a racist. Nobody wants to look at the fact that they bring with them crime and are a burden to the city (costs associated with police/detention, schools, hospitals, etc.).

Old 01-19-2007, 01:03 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
And once again the crime rate for cities bigger than 250,000 is 941.2 violent crimes per 100,000 people. The crime rate for Las Vegas is 674.9 violent crimes per 100,000 people. While not sterling it is certain better than the average good sized city. And crime in Las Vegas and the nation is down from 10 years ago.

In general illegals on arrival have lower crime rates than natives. That is because they are scared of being deported. As they stay here longer term their crime rate rises to that of similar socio-economic natives.

I am sorry this does not align with your personal experience or view...but those are the facts.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:12 PM

All one has to do is a search online for illegals and crime and there's plenty of information on there about it. They are clogging the system and costing taxpayers money. they are not afraid of being deported and therefore refrain from crime. That's nonsense. It would be great if that were reality, but it's no more reality than ferry dust. Furthermore, shall I remind you that they were criminals the minute they crossed into our country without permission to do so? Being ILLEGAL is a crime!

Last edited by RedWingsFan; 01-19-2007 at 01:35 PM..

Old 01-19-2007, 03:46 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
All one has to do is a search online for illegals and crime and there's plenty of information on there about it. They are clogging the system and costing taxpayers money. they are not afraid of being deported and therefore refrain from crime. That's nonsense. It would be great if that were reality, but it's no more reality than ferry dust. Furthermore, shall I remind you that they were criminals the minute they crossed into our country without permission to do so? Being ILLEGAL is a crime!
Not according to your federal government. While they are clearly illegal the US government handles the vast majority of the border crossings as adminstrative violations not crimes. If an illegal is deported he does not get a criminal record.

More akin to a speeding ticket than a felony.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Not according to your federal government. While they are clearly illegal the US government handles the vast majority of the border crossings as adminstrative violations not crimes. If an illegal is deported he does not get a criminal record.

More akin to a speeding ticket than a felony.
Grab a dictionary - illegals fit the description of being a criminal who is committing a crime. When you break a law you committ a crime, regardless of it's border jumping or speeding down the road.

I noticed you said "your federal governement." Is that your way of letting us know that you are illegal, not from America, not American or just one of those liberals out there that hate their own country? Because if you are American it's your federal goverment as well!

Old 01-20-2007, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 33,097 times
There is crime everywhere. NO matter where you move you will have to deal with it. Vegas is just fine.

VEGAS is A HUGE CITY with many great areas. Hederson, summerlin the north west etc....

Old 01-30-2007, 10:01 AM

8 posts, read 78,136 times
Hi, I have lived in LV all my life untill 2 years ago (moved to Idaho but am moving back to LV this summer). Get out of that area! If you can't live in one of the nice places in LV...I wouldn't reccomend living there at all...certainly not if you have kids. It's nasty and unsafe in that part of town. You should move up here to Idaho, just an idea ...everyone else seems to LOVE it here and it's CHEAP and safe. Lots of family things to do. It's growing like crazy and lots of new jobs coming to this area Pocatello, SE Idaho). JMO!

Old 01-30-2007, 10:35 AM

8 posts, read 78,136 times
Default crime rates down???

[quote=olecapt;289329]And once again the crime rate for cities bigger than 250,000 is 941.2 violent crimes per 100,000 people. The crime rate for Las Vegas is 674.9 violent crimes per 100,000 people. While not sterling it is certain better than the average good sized city. And crime in Las Vegas and the nation is down from 10 years ago.

I'm not sure about that...think about this (this is referring to property crime not violent).

... Here in Idaho (I recently left LV) when a bike gets stolen it's typically always reported and when a bussiness in Pocatello was broken into and a vending machine robbed...it made the news here.

I'm a life time LV native and when our antique mall booth in Las Vegas was robbed, the loss was over $10,000....the police would not even come out to make an individual report. I guess it was too small of a loss. The routine is...Go down to a sub station yourself, stand in line for 2 hours and hand your storey to an uncaring clerk who files it. The NOTHING will be guaranteed to happen.

My point is how many people go threw that to report a stolen bicycle in LV? I think the crime rate has gone down because tons of lower valued crimes just go unreported. Just my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas