U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 06:56 PM

60 posts, read 69,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
If your neighbors aren't actively fighting the problem also, then your problem will never go away

When I lived in Spring Valley (near the hospital), the entire community was infested. I would kill several every night during summer in and around my house (mostly outside). I would go walking with my dogs and spot several more in the neighborhood at night with a UV light. There were also hundreds of crickets around = scorpion food. Cats are no help either, we had lots of (stray?) cats in our community.

Where I live now in the South East, luckily I haven't seen a single one but that may be due to the rats/mice, lol
I live in the Spring Valley area for 14 years and have not seen one at all. It sounds like you're making it up a story.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/usi...kill-scorpions

Last edited by KD Hawaii98; 09-25-2017 at 07:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 09:52 AM

206 posts, read 129,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Hawaii98 View Post
I live in the Spring Valley area for 14 years and have not seen one at all. It sounds like you're making it up a story.

Using Boric Acid to Kill Scorpions | DoItYourself.com
Have you ever gone outside at night with a blacklight and looked? You'll rarely, if ever, see one during the day.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabtrees View Post
Have you ever gone outside at night with a blacklight and looked? You'll rarely, if ever, see one during the day.

Yes, I did. There is not a scorpion out there.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:29 PM

1,827 posts, read 1,262,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Hawaii98 View Post

Using Boric Acid to Kill Scorpions | DoItYourself.com
Have you been to every single neighborhood in all of spring valley?

You sound like an old fart that stares outside their window and never steps foot outside.
Do you like the sound of that story?

Old 09-27-2017, 03:09 AM

67 posts, read 116,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2016 View Post
Is anyone else experiencing the same problems, or this is a problem only in the NW Las Vegas?
How serious is it in NW Las Vegas, and is it only at Ann x Durango, or all over?

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/...orpions-video/

They are very common by me in the Sky Canyon area. I've seen about 20 (most by blacklight). It's weird, just moved here 6 months ago or so and have seen so many....lived in Phoenix, AZ for 10 years and never saw 1.

Make sure the weather stripping under your doors to the inside aren't worn. It's an easy/cheap fix to help keep the bastards out.

I've had a pest control guy come out and he basically said there's nothing they can really do to. Spray to keep cockroaches/crickets/other bugs dead and dry up the food supply...but the pesticides that are out there are not able to penetrate the exoskeleton of the scorpion from underneath their body. Gotta be sprayed from above and that means actively searching and killing them on sight. Of course I've read about people claiming cinnamon, lavender, and other things keep them away....but I take it with a grain of salt. Kind of like some Chiropractors who claim they can cure cancer.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Have you been to every single neighborhood in all of spring valley?

You sound like an old fart that stares outside their window and never steps foot outside.
Do you like the sound of that story?
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.......

Old 09-27-2017, 03:28 PM

10,683 posts, read 3,738,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techaz View Post
They are very common by me in the Sky Canyon area. I've seen about 20 (most by blacklight). It's weird, just moved here 6 months ago or so and have seen so many....lived in Phoenix, AZ for 10 years and never saw 1.

Make sure the weather stripping under your doors to the inside aren't worn. It's an easy/cheap fix to help keep the bastards out.

I've had a pest control guy come out and he basically said there's nothing they can really do to. Spray to keep cockroaches/crickets/other bugs dead and dry up the food supply...but the pesticides that are out there are not able to penetrate the exoskeleton of the scorpion from underneath their body. Gotta be sprayed from above and that means actively searching and killing them on sight. Of course I've read about people claiming cinnamon, lavender, and other things keep them away....but I take it with a grain of salt. Kind of like some Chiropractors who claim they can cure cancer.
Are they bark scorpions? That would be likely as that area is freshly built and the bark scorpions come in on the landscaping plants from AZ. The natives scorpions are much less of a problem. Bigger but much less toxic.

You might make a concerted attack with your neighbors. If they are fresh transplants they are relatively few in number and you may be able to keep them from reaching sustainability. I know of at least one portion of as block that thinks they have wiped them out.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:44 PM

12,671 posts, read 9,420,097 times
I go hunting for scorpions at night with a UV light around my home (7 Hills). This summer I've killed about a dozen outside. Three separate times I've found a dead one inside -- or mostly dead.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:16 PM

272 posts, read 136,235 times
In SW I have never seen one in my property or outside. I searched a couple times with a blacklight out back and never saw any. From what I have heard, Scorpion problems tend to be very localized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or