U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2017, 12:39 PM
 
148 posts, read 136,686 times
Reputation: 192

Advertisements

Is the Summerlin area noticeably cooler than the Henderson area?

Last edited by sloyd; 09-30-2017 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2017, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
13,432 posts, read 24,199,022 times
Reputation: 24745
Not enough difference to be noteworthy. I do think Summerlin gets more rain/storms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 01:34 PM
 
10,683 posts, read 3,738,322 times
Reputation: 4679
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Not enough difference to be noteworthy. I do think Summerlin gets more rain/storms.
Agreed. And it is more where than anything else. Altitude is the big driver.

I would also note the only significant snow fall in the 20 years we have lived here was in Henderson mostly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 06:18 PM
 
2,953 posts, read 1,388,601 times
Reputation: 5292
I have pics of 2 major snowfalls in the last 20 years in the higher elevations of Summerlin. They look like midwest storms. One was pre-2005 and one post-2005.
Nice thing is snow was gone in a day or two.

In the summer, we have a 10 to 15 degree temp difference than the strip. When coming home from the strip, we watch the outside temp gauge in the car. But I think the temp they give is at the airport. Surrounded by cement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 06:28 PM
 
10,683 posts, read 3,738,322 times
Reputation: 4679
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I have pics of 2 major snowfalls in the last 20 years in the higher elevations of Summerlin. They look like midwest storms. One was pre-2005 and one post-2005.
Nice thing is snow was gone in a day or two.

In the summer, we have a 10 to 15 degree temp difference than the strip. When coming home from the strip, we watch the outside temp gauge in the car. But I think the temp they give is at the airport. Surrounded by cement.
I have checked it out a dozen times. Maybe 5 or 6 degrees if the wind is right. Note however Anthem is also high. We live at 2600 feet and find 2 to 3 degrees to the back corner of Sun City Summerlin which is just over 3,000 feet. We do that a half a dozen times a week and it is pretty consistent. And if the wind is blowing there may be no differential.

Actually the storm in Henderson is the only one I have seen where there was enough snow and lasted long enough that people made snow men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Henderson, NV, U.S.A.
9,665 posts, read 5,658,893 times
Reputation: 17432
The temperature censor at McCarran, the official Las Vegas temperature, is surrounded by grass, in a raised wooden housing, white in color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 09:36 PM
 
26,867 posts, read 38,123,724 times
Reputation: 34804
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I have checked it out a dozen times. Maybe 5 or 6 degrees if the wind is right. Note however Anthem is also high. We live at 2600 feet and find 2 to 3 degrees to the back corner of Sun City Summerlin which is just over 3,000 feet. We do that a half a dozen times a week and it is pretty consistent. And if the wind is blowing there may be no differential.

Actually the storm in Henderson is the only one I have seen where there was enough snow and lasted long enough that people made snow men.
Our outdoor sensor is under the wide eave in front of the house. Northwest side so it misses the morning sun, and the mountains block most of it in the afternoons. We are usually 8-12 degrees cooler than Mccarren. We are at 3000 feet.

And we watched a lot of rain everywhere but here this year...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 09:42 PM
 
10,683 posts, read 3,738,322 times
Reputation: 4679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Our outdoor sensor is under the wide eave in front of the house. Northwest side so it misses the morning sun, and the mountains block most of it in the afternoons. We are usually 8-12 degrees cooler than Mccarren. We are at 3000 feet.

And we watched a lot of rain everywhere but here this year...
I believe that. But I also believe you external sensor reads 5 or 6 degrees high. It is hard to measure air temperature. The standard requires a specific white box 30 or so feet in the air. Anything else picks up temperature from the local environment. Our car is not accurate...but the differential should be close. So try monitoring your car temp as you go up and down the hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
1,827 posts, read 1,262,611 times
Reputation: 1405
go here and zoom out to find the one nearest you. there are weather stations everywhere all over Vegas that give temperature and other localized readings (dew point is very important to me)

https://www.wunderground.com/persona...ID=KNVLASVE356
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 10:24 PM
 
10,683 posts, read 3,738,322 times
Reputation: 4679
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
go here and zoom out to find the one nearest you. there are weather stations everywhere all over Vegas that give temperature and other localized readings (dew point is very important to me)

https://www.wunderground.com/persona...ID=KNVLASVE356
No real help. I did the ones by TekFreek and the ones by me down at 2600.

Tekfreeks area shows averages of around 75F. My lower area around 76F

Peak temperatures in the area range from 94 to 85. I don't believe it. This is all in an area around 5 or 6 miles across. And it is split between the higher areas and the lower areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top