U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 11:15 AM

13,451 posts, read 24,247,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
I've. Been to Vegas many times and have been to mandallay bay quite a few times I am having a hard time picturing where this concert was set up ? And how does someone have the aim from a 32nd floor at almost 400 yards
The venue is directly across the street to the east of the Luxor. There is a good map in this article. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/u...g.html?mcubz=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 11:17 AM

9,975 posts, read 8,471,531 times
This is correct. I saw a news report saying that the doctors are seeing a lot of trample (blunt trauma) injuries. But these can also be deadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
A lot of the injuries are probably from the panic. He didn't fire that many rounds to have hit 560 people.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:25 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
I've. Been to Vegas many times and have been to mandallay bay quite a few times I am having a hard time picturing where this concert was set up ? And how does someone have the aim from a 32nd floor at almost 400 yards
The concert was across the street. Land that one can't build a tall building on cause of the airplanes taking off.
Yes he would of had to be very experienced.

I'm on the strip at least weekly. This will in no way will stop me.

I am not going to live in fear for something that I have no control over. I refuse to let others control my life.

Or fear like I see spewed on here.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:28 AM

27,589 posts, read 45,043,307 times
And people have blood splatter
In situatuion like this with high levels of panic/flight response
Someone could be shot and not at first process that
So think they are likely erring on side of caution as far as admitting people who may not appear to have obvious injury
I think he probably did shoot/graze quite a few people but as I said before it is likely many injuries are secondary--not primary
Triage seemed fast and there were many examples of people shielding and helping others

Someone I know on FB reposted comment from someone who is friend of friend who was there
He was VERY positive about the compassion all response of most people being shot at
That race or creed was not in anyone's mind--that people's reactions were not always about protecting themselves but helping others...
Some guy on MSNBC said he was there with his sister and she put her body over his when they realized sounds were shots vs fireworks...

Old 10-02-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
The concert was across the street. Land that one can't build a tall building on cause of the airplanes taking off.

I'm on the strip at least weekly. This will in no way will stop me.

I am not going to live in fear for something that I have no control over. I refuse to let others control my life.

Or fear like I see spewed on here.
His brother said the shooter was not gun fanatic
So brother lives in FL and shooter in NV and maybe doesn't know everything his brother does--which seems not out of the ordinary...
But face it---
He didn't need to be an accurate marksman
This scenario was more like aiming at fish in a barrel

I predict no more open air concerts in areas between hotels...where this same situatuion could happen again

Old 10-02-2017, 11:33 AM
EA

5,473 posts, read 4,678,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post

He could have closed his eyes and hit the same amount of people. There was no experience needed. 22,000 people were jammed in a small area. Stevie Wonder could have gotten a high kill count.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:38 AM

Your point is taken but Stevie Wonder uses his talent and his presence for peaceful protest--not a gun--
So using him as example of "blind luck" is not choice I would suggest...

Old 10-02-2017, 11:40 AM

3,600 posts, read 2,013,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
He could have closed his eyes and hit the same amount of people. There was no experience needed. 22,000 people were jammed in a small area. Stevie Wonder could have gotten a high kill count.
This is correct... With high caliber fully auto assault rifles I'm surprised there wasn't more devastation with that kind of population density.

Mental health, terrorism, extremism, and all other isms are rearing their dirty heads. I hope that good people will come together to overcome this.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:46 AM

7,031 posts, read 3,767,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
The sheriff is giving a press conference and is saying the number of injured is over 400, number dead is over 50.

Gunman killed himself before metro entered his room, they found at least 10 guns there.

How do you check in with that many guns?
The latest press conference the Sheriff said there are now 58 or 59 people dead (he wasn't sure about one of them) and over 500 injured.

Over on the politics forum, they're already speculating about political motives. I think that's silly. Politics didn't cause this idiot to do this (although he might have thought so in his sick mind).

Evil did.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:48 AM

7,031 posts, read 3,767,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
T
Mental health, terrorism, extremism, and all other isms are rearing their dirty heads. I hope that good people will come together to overcome this.
Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas