U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 11:04 PM

16,496 posts, read 20,042,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I just heard on the radio that his name is Steven (perhaps spelled Stephen) Paddock.
For those into Astrology: Sun/Venus in Aries, Moon in Aquarius, Mercury in Pisces, Mars in Taurus.

What does Mars in Taurus tell me? He planned this out well-well in advance! Certainly not spur of the moment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 11:19 PM

42,283 posts, read 49,847,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
What makes this incident particularly unsettling is that there don't seem to be any red flags in his record, none. A speeding ticket and a neighbor who says he was elusive. Nothing. Hopefully they dig up something that would help explain why he did this. The thought of a seemingly normal person massacring dozens of people is just crazy.

I hope they can find some answers, for the sake of the victims and their families. Just absolutely horrific and tragic.
Something about suing one of the Vegas hotels. Suit thrown out.

But that was years ago.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Vegas is going to take a big hit from this. I think it's going to be a ghost town for the next few weeks.
You don't know Americans, the least adventuresome travelers in the world, they'll buy into that line, like they have in the past: Isolated incident, and things will get back to normal.

I've been criticized over the years, my 83 trips to dangerous-dangerous Tijuana, sometimes staying in the downtown area for 2-3 days, walking about the dangerous-dangerous Zona Norte Red Light/Bar district until 3-4-5am, and yes, all alone, without any incidents, not even a mugging. And I've chicken bussed it around dangerous-dangerous Central America and El Salvador, again, with no incidents, not even a mugging.

Perhaps this incident may, (I highly doubt it!) incite more Americans to explore the more "dangerous", unsafe areas of the world to travel to, and once there, the big surprise: I feel as safe here as if I went to Las Vegas!

What continually surprises me, and always will, given they don't screen luggage coming into the hotels for luggage filled with bombs/explosives, is why a hotel hasn't been bombed yet on the Strip! And is the clock ticking on something like that?

Old 10-02-2017, 11:39 PM

373 posts, read 208,701 times
I still find it odd that a man with no military background can stockpile
That amount of ammo and hit targets at 4-500 yards from 32 floors up . The fact he planned the windows/angles and built tripods for his aim
Tells me something is off with these reports

Old 10-02-2017, 11:44 PM
EA

5,473 posts, read 4,674,939 times
Anyone with money can stockpile anything they want.
Hugh Hefner stockpiled women.
Charlie Sheen stockpiled cocaine and aids.
This dude was rich and stockpiled ammo.
I'm not even rich and I've had 66 cars.

I would be more impressed if he missed people shooting at that venue. You would have to TRY to miss people there.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:51 PM

1,834 posts, read 1,272,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
I still find it odd that a man with no military background can stockpile
That amount of ammo and hit targets at 4-500 yards from 32 floors up . The fact he planned the windows/angles and built tripods for his aim
Tells me something is off with these reports
I'm sure if he had military training the murder rate would have been much, much higher.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:51 PM

9,971 posts, read 8,467,024 times
Actually, the sight will likely become a tourist destination in and of itself. That was the experience I saw with Ground Zero in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You don't know Americans, the least adventuresome travelers in the world, they'll buy into that line, like they have in the past: Isolated incident, and things will get back to normal.

I've been criticized over the years, my 83 trips to dangerous-dangerous Tijuana, sometimes staying in the downtown area for 2-3 days, walking about the dangerous-dangerous Zona Norte Red Light/Bar district until 3-4-5am, and yes, all alone, without any incidents, not even a mugging. And I've chicken bussed it around dangerous-dangerous Central America and El Salvador, again, with no incidents, not even a mugging.

Perhaps this incident may, (I highly doubt it!) incite more Americans to explore the more "dangerous", unsafe areas of the world to travel to, and once there, the big surprise: I feel as safe here as if I went to Las Vegas!

What continually surprises me, and always will, given they don't screen luggage coming into the hotels for luggage filled with bombs/explosives, is why a hotel hasn't been bombed yet on the Strip! And is the clock ticking on something like that?

Old 10-02-2017, 11:58 PM

9,971 posts, read 8,467,024 times
So maybe they shouldn't close the strip on NYE and have fireworks? Even without a special event, the strip itself presents a target rich environment.

As far as the glass, it's likely not bulletproof, and, well, he did have guns. He could have just shot out the glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
We have a lot of freedoms. They're not always good ideas. An outdoor venue next to 5 towers is not a good idea. Humans are scum and have been killing people for 250,000+ years.
We can have outdoor venues but that location is not a good idea.
I am free to cover myself with meat if I want. But it's not a good idea to do it in shark infested waters.

Also I want to know what the hell he used to break that glass because I have tried to break hotel glass (left over piece from a Bellagio remodel I did) and I rammed a damn forklift fork into it at full speed and it didn't even scratch it.
It took a powder actuated concrete nail to actually break it. I hit it with my hammer a bunch of times and it just bounced off. That stuff is strong.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:02 AM

I'm sure Metro will be pounding on the doors of the Clark County Commissioners saying: If you had hired more police officers this might have been averted! Hire more cops! Hire more cops!

And you could hire 1000 more cops for the Strip and some slippery Lone Wolf will come along and laugh in their faces!

The Lone Wolves give the police the biggest headaches of all, as they fly below their radar screens!

Old 10-03-2017, 12:07 AM
EA

5,473 posts, read 4,674,939 times
Closing down the strip, for any event, is absolutely retarded. It's a logistical nightmare for people trying to move about the city.
And it walls a metric poop ton of people into a confined area. I will be at home for New year, like I am every year, because screw that big ball of potential terror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas