U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 07:26 PM

10,906 posts, read 3,805,509 times

Advertisements

There are still no significant indications of financial stress. He apparently sent a $100,000 to his girl friend earlier last week.

And it appears to have been meticulously planned. Even had a video monitor hidden on a food service cart in the hallway so he could see the police arrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 07:32 PM

3,574 posts, read 4,023,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Is it out of the question to speculate that this guy being a millionaire had everything he could ask for in life and being that he was probably an atheist so he had no sense of having a soul at all, he just decided that he was in the mood to shoot people. In other words, did he shoot up the crowd for the simple reason because he felt like it?
Your question presupposes that atheists don't have a moral compass. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:06 PM

2,575 posts, read 1,905,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
First off, my thoughts and condolences go out to all the individuals and families affected by this terrible tragedy ! Prayers for a speedy recovery for Las Vegas!

I've said this time and time again to anyone who will listen - mental health problems are greatly effecting our society. And our government and the healthcare industry really need to start better addressing mental health issues so that we can minimize the amount of violence situations that are occurring in our society way too often. (note: I am NOT saying that it would have helped this time).

I am going to speculate on this particular man. I believe that he probably had some sort of undiagnosed mental condition (possibly inherited from his father's side), along with a gambling addiction and incurred great losses that led to him seeking revenge on the Las Vegas strip.

I am curious though, if he did owe a lot of money to Mandalay Bay, would MB allow that type of information to be disclosed to the media? It seems to me if this were true, it would leave them open to much greater liability and therefore not be something they would easily want disclosed???
I'm with you HDL. If we're going to keep on blood letting at this rate then at least give us "Medicare For All" with a single payer system so we can get the help we need without having to start a GoFundMe page for every medical emergency created from these mass shootings.

Ten years ago I did a week long symposium on health as a path to peace. We explored topics like how part of keeping peace is providing access to medical care and part of that is preventative medicine. 50,000 people came. We had physicians and academics from around the world including the former prime minister of Norway and former director general of the WHO.

I wonder, do we really need to find a reason for crazy? I mean his reason could have been something like, "October is the hunter's moon and this was the harvest festival."

Old 10-03-2017, 09:43 PM

7,031 posts, read 3,779,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
There are still no significant indications of financial stress. He apparently sent a $100,000 to his girl friend earlier last week.
This is a tantalizing breadcrumb. At the very least, it suggests that he knew well in advance what he was going to do; it's not that easy to wire a large sum like that to a foreign country.

It will be interesting to see what the investigators are able to learn from the girlfriend once they're able to talk to her. The fact that the investigators mentioned her in the news conference today suggests that they think so too.

One thing I'm wondering about: I'd think that the FBI would have operatives in the Philippines (where she is from and is currently) or at least in Asia who could interview her there. Why are they bringing her back to the U.S.? Or is that just standard procedure?

According to Newsweek, she has a rather...interesting...past:

Paddock's Girlfriend Used Two Social Security Numbers and Was Married to Two Men at the Same Time

Old 10-03-2017, 09:50 PM

5,485 posts, read 5,805,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Am I the only one that saw this coming? Las Vegas was always a known target for terrorist attacks. It's in two ISIS videos with suggestive images like the Bellagio Hotel. It was always a matter of when, not if. After the Paris attacks and the pulse night club attack the LV media questioned security at Las Vegas night clubs and they said they have plans and prepare their security for these attacks and they work closely with the law enforcement. That they take it very seriously and this was all way before this attack. We had confidence in them and the law enforcement did have a great response.

This guy wasn't regular. He didn't snap either. He planned it.

I guess I'm practical about it. When nothing changes and it keeps escalating.

59 dead with 12 still in critical condition so it could be 71 total. Around the initial number involved I'd posted earlier. Someone may have been on the ball and called it.

Since no one has said it yet I guess I will. It seems the media wants us to believe it's because he's a wealthy, godless, psychopath like his father. This nut didn't fall too far from the tree.
I agree and disagree. Sure Vegas was a target. But from a US born, US citizen, affluent Nevadan with negligible derogatory history and no immediately apparent ties to any extremism? That came out of left field.

You normally see some evidence in the record that would help explain the act within a few days. There is just so little information available. They are nowhere near establishing a motive, even a motive procured by a mentally ill person. I think the girlfriend is going to be the key to unlocking a lot.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:50 PM

4,146 posts, read 3,896,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
...It will be interesting to see what the investigators are able to learn from the girlfriend once they're able to talk to her...

According to Newsweek, she has a rather...interesting...past:
This whole thing is just getting 'stranger and stranger'.

If I were her, and with 100K in a PI bank, I don't think I'd want to come back to the states.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-03-2017, 09:56 PM

13,460 posts, read 24,271,623 times
He was a pilot. I believe he could not have been licensed if he had been under care or diagnosed with a serious mental illness. If I was Marilou Danley I would not come back till my book was published. No one knew anything about Paddock and she can say anything.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:58 PM

5,485 posts, read 5,805,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
He was a pilot. I believe he could not have been licensed if he had been under care or diagnosed with a serious mental illness. If I was Marilou Danley I would not come back till my book was published. No one knew anything about Paddock and she can say anything.
She wouldn't lie unless she had a motive to. He's already dead, so if she is evasive then it will make her look very suspicious.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:04 PM

7,031 posts, read 3,779,463 times
Another thing that stuck out for me in the Sheriff's news conference today was this:

Lombardo said the investigation is proceeding cautiously in case criminal charges are warranted against someone else.

"This investigation is not ended with the demise of Mr. Paddock," the sheriff said. "Did this person get radicalized unbeknownst to us? And we want to identify that source."

(This was quoted in several news sources. The above comes from the SF Chronicle. Vegas gunman transferred $100K, set up cameras at hotel room - San Francisco Chronicle)

That's a really interesting turn of phrase: "Did this person get radicalized"

It suggests that perhaps they haven't fully ruled out a connection to ISIS or similar.

Of course, this is an on-going investigation, so they are covering all bases. But still, that word "radicalized" just jumped out me from the Sheriff's statement today.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:21 PM

1,809 posts, read 2,904,761 times
The more you think about this there was some pretty sophisticated thinking and planning to pull this off. A lot of things had to go right. Had to get the right hotel, a very specific room at the right angle, at the right date for the festival. Had to have excellent shooting skills (he was pretty far away from what I gather), ability to get all the guns in the hotel without arousing suspicion, cameras inside and out, etc....

He really thought the hotel room strategy out in detail. Because if he just walked into a crowded public place and started shooting, he probably would not have been able to shoot for 9-11 minutes without someone taking him out. Think about how long 9-11 minutes is....count it out....one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand.... And he may not have been able to turn the gun on himself since someone may have tackled him from behind and taken him alive.

I wonder if he targeted a country music festival on purpose or just that it happened to work with his plan and could have been any type of concert or event that he could hit the most people from a hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas