U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 07:49 PM

772 posts, read 1,490,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
And there are at least rumors that the perpetrator videoed the process. The way this guy organized I would suspect he has his rationale planted some where...likely in video.
At today's 5 PM news conference, the sheriff shot this down. He said there were cameras in the room but no video recordings were made.

He also said, in response to a question, that the bastard had an escape plan based on what they found in the room. He wouldn't get any more specific than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 07:53 PM

104 posts, read 78,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I think security needs to extend to the areas around the venue.
ALL venues need to have metal detectors and bag check before entry in to the venue.
The block around the venues that are commonly used for transit to and from the events have no vechile entry and be blocked off.

I go to a lot of events and am personally feeling more need to actually contact venues and my own local government to push for more rules regarding manditory levels of basic secutiry for concerts and other public events.

I have been to certain events this year and seriously need neverous.

For example we had events on Canada in my city and I have really worried in those big crowds, but was really happy with the efforts by police services to maintain very high security. They did certain things that I thought were brillant and certainly increased my level of confort. We can never remove all risks... but we need to work harder to minimize risks.

I can personally tell you hands down if I really wanted sneak a gun or other device in to concert or venue like that in my city I could do it with ease at certain venues or cerntain concerts. If I have figured that out it scared the hell out of me because that means someone else with bad intentions could too. So now I am actually feeling I have a responsibility to share this information with these venues to help then be aware of the risks and the gaps in their security.

I for one don't want MORE security... Anyone who wants to do evil to a crowd can.. and more security isn't going to stop them...

I don't want to live in a society with metal detectors on every venue, check points, extreme security, etc..

Sounds like a 3rd world country....

Old 10-04-2017, 09:24 PM

4,688 posts, read 2,922,714 times
Has anyone noticed that the LV sheriff's office is refreshingly open to giving out info about this event? As someone who has followed my share of police press conferences, usually the drill is to offer almost no information. However, not the case with this Nevada office. At times they seem to be "thinking outloud". I find this to be very different, and very illuminating. While this goes against the grain, I think this may be a new trend, or at the least, a different style of police media info.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:54 AM

27,447 posts, read 44,947,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam500 View Post
I for one don't want MORE security... Anyone who wants to do evil to a crowd can.. and more security isn't going to stop them...

I don't want to live in a society with metal detectors on every venue, check points, extreme security, etc..

Sounds like a 3rd world country....
That is your opinion
And in reality the crowd was not the issue in this event--but anyone who would have had a personal weapon was powerless to use it to stop the shooter--
So the rationalization that having a weapon on your body at all times is the answer to gun violence didn't prove to be accurate in this situation...

It was very curious that the sheriff also alluded to the fact the shooter DID think he might escape
I wonder how he thought that would happen?

And kudos again to the hotel security guard for his bravery
200 shots into the hallway and he didn't move to the stairs...

Old 10-05-2017, 07:19 AM

3,574 posts, read 4,014,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
This article is spot on . I don't believe any of what the media says

https://www.naturalnews.com/2017-10-...n-paddock.html
You are susceptible to "fake news" and the very first line proves it. There is no "official narrative" yet.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:56 AM

213 posts, read 104,748 times
Did they recover his car? I read one small blurb that said they found ammonium nitrate in his car but I can't find anything about them actually finding the car and where

Old 10-05-2017, 08:53 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,388,601 times
His car was parked on the 32nd floor where his room was. This was reported early on.

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab This woman reports on domestic terrorist groups. And is a writer for Forbes.
I think she's on to something. Worth reading.

Shooters brother first interview said he didn't know of shooter (don't want to use his name), having high powered rifles.

THEN yesterday on CBS in 33 minute interview, says he shot these while visiting his brother and didn't like them. They hurt his shoulder.

I called hotline and they said they are already on it.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:17 AM

9,291 posts, read 11,142,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
His car was parked on the 32nd floor where his room was. This was reported early on.
I find it really hard to believe Mandalay bay has a 32 floor parking garage.......Got a link to your report?

Old 10-05-2017, 10:14 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,388,601 times
No - it was said on the local news, usually watch channel 3. It was the morning after. Might of been CNN or MSNBC. Will admit now thinking about it, the building doesn't look like it'd have parking that high.

Also said he took care of his own luggage which was brought in to his room over several days. Wondering if Mandalay had checked the video.

People need to realize after such a crazy tragedy, much info let out will be wrong. They can't have an answer to everything RIGHT NOW. Its not like buying a dodad from Amazon.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:14 AM

7,031 posts, read 3,744,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Has anyone noticed that the LV sheriff's office is refreshingly open to giving out info about this event? As someone who has followed my share of police press conferences, usually the drill is to offer almost no information. However, not the case with this Nevada office. At times they seem to be "thinking outloud". I find this to be very different, and very illuminating. While this goes against the grain, I think this may be a new trend, or at the least, a different style of police media info.
I was actually thinking the same thing this morning. They've done a good job about keeping the public as informed as possible and handling the media. Obviously, this is an on-going investigation, so there is evidence and facts that they're still gathering, but I've been pleasantly surprised at how well the LV Sheriff has handled the press conferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas