U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 01:00 AM

13,447 posts, read 24,241,058 times

Advertisements

I saw an interview with that first security guard who found Paddock and was shot in the leg. He said he got a door open alarm from the 32nd floor and was responding, probably just to shut the door. Now I didn't know they had open door alarms but I guess it makes sense. The door open alarm was several doors down from Paddock. Of course he was watching and probably thought they had figured out his location. But the guard actually went there for something completely different.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 05:58 AM

27,798 posts, read 24,915,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
60 minutes was most interesting tonight. The room was busted by a ragtag set of 4 cops who mostly had no reason to be there. Only one was actually SWAT...though he had the stuff to blow the door. They came together from assignments elsewhere and formed an instant team. They were outside the door for a while figuring out what to do. They realized that he could see them and were worried about him shooting them or a booby trap. Finally blew the door and found him dead.

Brave guys who did very well.
yes, could have been much much worse - and that's hard to imagine considering the number of deaths this idiot caused....wish the media wouldn't provide his name, pictures of him on the internet - only gives him fame -and the next idiot will see this and do likewise.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:04 AM

27,798 posts, read 24,915,362 times
https://www.cbsnews.com/videos/blowi...inkId=43265513

Old 10-09-2017, 07:31 AM

27,573 posts, read 45,029,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
60 minutes was most interesting tonight. The room was busted by a ragtag set of 4 cops who mostly had no reason to be there. Only one was actually SWAT...though he had the stuff to blow the door. They came together from assignments elsewhere and formed an instant team. They were outside the door for a while figuring out what to do. They realized that he could see them and were worried about him shooting them or a booby trap. Finally blew the door and found him dead.

Brave guys who did very well.
Came in after that started -- was there a reason why the SWAT guy (the guy in the photo) was not there?

I thought it illustrated perfectly the credo the sheriff took away from time spent analyzing the terrorist attacks on hotels in India--
He said it used to be the model was to come on site--organize/isolate--then attempt to assault
Like the cops at Columbine waiting around vs attacking the shooters

Now the deal is to move as quickly as possible to shut down the active shooter--

Those guys did just that===
They took the initiative---didn't require "leadership" to tell them what to do--especially a leadership that was not at ground zero and had no idea what the real situation was...
It is amazing they were able to do time wise what took place though--
Even going up those flights of stairs seems like it would have taken lot more time than ticked off the clock

One thing I thought they could have included was that the security guard was wounded, unarmed and yet he stayed and helped them clear the rooms on that floor to ensure there were no civilians or other shooters...
That guy was very brave as well...they didn't really talk about his contribution

It reminded me of what I read about WW2--small arms infantry--
All those guys were trained to move up in leadership--if the officer went down, then the Sgt, if the Sgt fell, then the corporal, if no one of rank then the regular soldiers took over--so there was never a vacuum of leadership...
Supposedly the German army was different--officers lead, soldiers waited for directions so when officers went down there was a vacuum and that caused lack of momentum...

Old 10-09-2017, 09:16 AM

9,336 posts, read 11,177,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rose View Post
There were armed officers on the scene who didn't fire a shot because they knew it would have been counterproductive. In the footage I've seen, none of them even had their guns out. And one of the band members was talking about how lots of his guys were able to get to their concealed carry weapons but didn't fire either because they were worried they'd be confused as perpetrators. Cops and security guards tried to access the shooter's room, but they were forced back by about 200 bullets and one of them was wounded. Only SWAT was equipped to deal with that situation, although the shooter had already taken his own life by the time they breached the room.
No reason for a cop or civilian on the ground to shoot at anything 32 floors up! Imagine the outcry if a stray bullet went into the 31st floor instead and killed an innocent person standing at the window looking out.

I'm not sure the cops firepower would even be appropriate for returning fire from that distance. Gravity was working well for the shooter, it wouldn't work so well for the cops!

Old 10-09-2017, 09:25 AM

27,573 posts, read 45,029,595 times
Perfect example of active shooter when having a personal weapon is totally non-productive
The NRA would like everyone to think that carrying a personal weapon means you never have to be a victim but it is so wrong...

Old 10-09-2017, 09:43 AM

3,324 posts, read 5,323,806 times
While I think the public has had some legitimate gripes with Metro over the years, I think they did an absolutely outstanding job in this situation.

ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING.

While the devestation and disappointment was all over Lombardo's face at every briefing, the officers who put their lives on the line and their commanders potentially saved hundreds of lives in the end.

Dispatch performed astoundingly well as well.

I hope many of our citizens will acknowledge this long term by showing our law enforcement more of the respect they deserve day to day.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:18 AM

12,685 posts, read 9,460,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I still really wonder about the GF. How could she live in that house and be unaware of his arsenal?
Perhaps the $100K payment was designed to impair her memory of such things.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:24 AM

12,685 posts, read 9,460,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
But the pot of gold the lawyers will b looking at is MGM. While there are good arguments that can be made that they shouldn't have liability, I can guarantee that they WILL be sued, and probably into the nine figures. They question they'll have to face is do they want to roll the dice with juries. Juries are often known to look at a plaintiff with heinous injuries and see a deep pocketed corporation, and not bother thinking about the legal technicalities (like did the corporation really do anything wrong), between the two.
Based on the current publicly available information, it is difficult for me to imagine a scenario where I would ascribe any liability to MGM.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:47 AM

9,971 posts, read 8,467,024 times
Everything comes down to chance. In this situation you are correct. There are many where it would be.

The reason Texas now has concealed carry is because there was a situation where a concealed carrier could have stopped a mass shooting, but concealed carry wasn't legal. There as a patron in the restaurant with a gun in their car (legally), who wasn't carrying it because it was illegal to do so at the time. She could have stopped the shooter. That incident got them to change the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Perfect example of active shooter when having a personal weapon is totally non-productive
The NRA would like everyone to think that carrying a personal weapon means you never have to be a victim but it is so wrong...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas