U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 02:36 AM

35 posts, read 24,374 times
Unbelievable... MSNBC just confirmed 100 injuried, 20+ dead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 02:37 AM

8,778 posts, read 2,336,698 times
2-3 minutes ago...At least 20 dead per the local Sheriff in Las Vegas (giving a press conference that is being carried on CNN).

Old 10-02-2017, 02:39 AM

2,575 posts, read 1,898,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Audio from the cell phone videos playing on CNN make it clear that it was fully automatic fire. Sounded like more than 30 rounds in each burst, sounded like three bursts of 50 rounds each.

Weapons that can fire like this were most likely illegally obtained (stolen from military or law enforcement). The National Firearms Act of 1986 basically froze the supply of legally possessable fully automatic weapons at that moment in time, so they are extremely valuable now (sell for tens of thousands of dollars), and only in the hands of collectors. In the past, law enforcement often received surplus full-auto M16s from the government, and they're always getting stolen
Matt Gutman in the link above is a reporter who's been embedded in Iraq and covered combat stories and met with terrorists. He said from his experience it sounds like this gunman is untrained, or has no formal training, and he can tell because they never put it on fully automatic. He said this sounds like shooting fish in a barrel which is what an untrained person would do. He goes into more about it.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho Cucamonga Dentist View Post
Unbelievable... MSNBC just confirmed 100 injuried, 20+ dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
2-3 minutes ago...At least 20 dead per the local Sheriff in Las Vegas (giving a press conference that is being carried on CNN).
Yep, got that too.

20 dead and over 100 injured.

https://www.facebook.com/jaimz.romer...55096417870817

Quote:
They are running out of medical supplies: Wheelchairs, ventilators, IV kits, saline.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:52 AM

3,672 posts, read 7,986,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Matt Gutman in the link above is a reporter who's been embedded in Iraq and covered combat stories and met with terrorists. He said from his experience it sounds like this gunman is untrained, or has no formal training, and he can tell because they never put it on fully automatic. He said this sounds like shooting fish in a barrel which is what an untrained person would do. He goes into more about it.
There's a Navy SEAL who posts on one of the popular AR forums, and he has basically said he never fires his weapon full auto. Ammo is heavy, so there's a practical limit to how much you can carry, and you'd never waste it firing full auto. He said he's trained to make each round count.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:05 AM

Yep, that's what Matt Gutman said too. Those with training never put it on full. It's point and shoot, but the shooter was also high up on the 32nd floor shooting down when they got them.

I read they're looking for a female Asian companion of the shooter earlier, but also said they believe there was only one shooter involved.

I'm thinking of our C-D member the skateboarding droctopus, busy in the ER tonight. Sending love and light to Las Vegas and all on this tonight. (((Angel light)))

Last edited by Merry Lee Gather; 10-02-2017 at 03:26 AM..

Old 10-02-2017, 03:57 AM

I think it's possibly a bot EA. Apparently, they're very advanced now that you can't tell you're talking to one but they generate hundreds of accounts. It was something that came out in the reports on the Russian influence in the 2016 election. They created a bot network that spread the fake news on Facebook and communicated in comments as if they were real people. It's also showed they're on message boards now. Crazy. I know. Leave no rock unturned.

I've been streaming this live coverage on youtube and listening as it's still going on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uDnp5LB2P4

As I'm listening it occurs to me that the whole world is going to be looking to see how Las Vegas responds to this mass shooting.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
A lady who was interviewed on CNN a few minutes ago offered to drive 5 people to the hospital in her car. One of the 5 said 'I work for Metro, let me drive', so the car owner let that lady drive. The car owner (standing outside the hospital the Metro person drove her car to) said her own husband = same thing but a different car to a different hospital. It sounded as though the person shot that she was transporting was the 18 year old daughter of a friend.
Correction: CNN just replayed that interview, and the 18 year old daughter of the friend was the injured person in the car her husband was in. The injured person in her car was a man, a stranger who asked for help, and the 'I work for Metro' woman who drove that car to the hospital was that man's companion.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:08 AM

The news says they know it's a white-male-suspect in his 60's living in a local retirement community. They found his ID in the room but aren't releasing it yet. They're also looking for Marilou Danley, a person of interest, possibly a female companion or roommate who is an Asian female. They're also looking for two vehicles.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
The news says they know it's a white-male-suspect in his 60's living in a local retirement community. They found his ID in the room but aren't releasing it yet. They're also looking for Marilou Danley, a person of interest, possibly a female companion or roommate who is an Asian female. They're also looking for two vehicles.
I just heard on the radio that his name is Steven (perhaps spelled Stephen) Paddock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas