Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 04:01 PM

927 posts, read 1,947,855 times

Advertisements

I have been following this outrage since early this morning. So many killed and otherwise traumatized by the shooting! My condolences to all who have suffered
I gave blood just before Harvey roared into Houston and I have been kicking myself since for not waiting until now (but how could I have known?). As soon as I'm allowed, I'm hunting down a bloodmobile.

[mod cut]

Last edited by volosong; 10-02-2017 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: discussion of 2A rights belong elsewhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 04:01 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
They should just wall it off so no one can even visit it as a sick tourist attraction.
I think they might have to close the floor or at least that wing--
People can still take photos in front of a brick wall or just lie on social media about what they did there...

Old 10-02-2017, 04:22 PM

49 posts, read 102,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2016 View Post
This is different. People need to live somewhere, but people don`t need to visit vegas for vacation.
It is comparing apples with potatoes.
This could happen pretty much anywhere people congregate. This could happen, with mass casualties, in the food court at any mall on a busy Saturday. Outside of hiding in your home, it's not the type of thing you can reduce risk of by avoiding a "risky" behavior or something like that.

If this was a massive earthquake instead of a shooting and seismologists were saying more were on the way with mass destruction - then you say let's go somewhere else... but this isn't an incident with risk tied specifically to the location, it could have been any other concert in any other town.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:39 PM

110 posts, read 133,399 times
My suggestion is that NOTHING CHANGES.

There is no need to add more security, ban guns, or otherwise change our LIBERTY.

This is a random event that could happen anywhere at anytime.

This cannot be prevented as much as lightning killing someone.

I hope that additional security is not added to hotels or airports because of this incident. It will not change anything and it will only reduce our American Liberty.

Anyone can kill anyone at any time. That's the reality of life.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:40 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lraien View Post
This could happen pretty much anywhere people congregate. This could happen, with mass casualties, in the food court at any mall on a busy Saturday. Outside of hiding in your home, it's not the type of thing you can reduce risk of by avoiding a "risky" behavior or something like that.

If this was a massive earthquake instead of a shooting and seismologists were saying more were on the way with mass destruction - then you say let's go somewhere else... but this isn't an incident with risk tied specifically to the location, it could have been any other concert in any other town.
And frankly I think the people who design/plan locations for outside concerts don't really consider things like this could occur
Failure of imagination
And likely to be the first thing that changes with a more security conscious police force and hotel/convention management---

Old 10-02-2017, 04:46 PM

People...

It is impossible to PLAN for every conceivable evil deed.

It's impractical, it's too expensive. It's not reasonable....

Evil happens... it's just part of life and cannot be prevented...

We can only use REASONABLE measures.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:58 PM

819 posts, read 582,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
I have been following this outrage since early this morning. So many killed and otherwise traumatized by the shooting! My condolences to all who have suffered
I gave blood just before Harvey roared into Houston and I have been kicking myself since for not waiting until now (but how could I have known?). As soon as I'm allowed, I'm hunting down a bloodmobile.

[mod cut]
I agree with your sentiment and applaud your decision to give blood. [mod cut]

Last edited by volosong; 10-02-2017 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: discussion of gun control belongs elsewhere

Old 10-02-2017, 05:15 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Going to concerts and other types of large public event is a huge part of my day to day life.
People are paying a lot of money to go to these events and there needs to be better security. WAY BETTER security.

It only takes one lunatic to cause epic horror for huge amounts of people to suffer.

As for the USA and guns I just don't get it.

[mod cut]

Last edited by volosong; 10-02-2017 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: discussion of gun rights belong elsewhere, not this thread

Old 10-02-2017, 05:18 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
What makes this incident particularly unsettling is that there don't seem to be any red flags in his record, none. A speeding ticket and a neighbor who says he was elusive. Nothing. Hopefully they dig up something that would help explain why he did this. The thought of a seemingly normal person massacring dozens of people is just crazy.

I hope they can find some answers, for the sake of the victims and their families. Just absolutely horrific and tragic.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Going to concerts and other types of large public event is a huge part of my day to day life.
People are paying a lot of money to go to these events and there needs to be better security. WAY BETTER security.

It only takes one lunatic to cause epic horror for huge amounts of people to suffer.

[mod cut]

Can you provide some details on the security you want?

Just saying "we need better security" doesn't work, because it's not specific.

We can all demand "BETTER".. but HOW? What is YOUR proposal?

[mod cut]

Last edited by volosong; 10-02-2017 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: orphaned text, reference to deleted text in another post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas