Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 08:04 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Heard yesterday from sheriff's up date or NPR, 60 are still in critical condition with 29 of those in extreme critical. Can anyone verify those numbers?
Today's news says 88 injured still admitted and 37 in critical condition at the areas hospitals.

Las Vegas shooting: Alarm led to discovery of shooter's position

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You are not the first person to think of this. It costs money.
Plus the Strip is one of the most heavily guarded in the country already with beefed up security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Let's suppose that we implement all these security measures and invade everyone's privacy in every single public place.

What is to stop a madman from driving a truck into a crowd?

What is to stop someone building a bomb and planting it next to a venue?

What is to stop someone from using drones to fly bombs into an area and detonating them?

What is to stop someone making a poison and releasing it into the water air or food supply?

I'm not sure about you guys but 58 being the deadliest shooting doesn't sound too bad compared to bombing statistics.

The deadliest mass shooting had 58 victims.
The second deadliest had 49.
The third 32
Fourth 27
Now let's look at some bombing death tolls.

And those aren't even the deadliest. I just looked up random bombings.

Let's not push these guys to bombs.

And before someone says bomb making materials are regulated, you might want to study some chemistry or do a quick google.
You can make bombs from household items. You can make bombs with Home Depot items. They are not hard to make even with regulations.
I don't have the answers to these questions but the tough conversations need to be hashed out within communities around the country. I have seen this event galvanize some members of the community so we'll see what happens.

With 37 still in critical condition today that number here could rise. The death toll is 59 including the shooter but most places say 58, not counting him. They're already building a memorial garden downtown and planting 58 trees, but they might need more trees if the others don't make it. It appears to be a beautiful place to reflect in the video.

https://www.facebook.com/CityOfLasVe...5832683118619/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 08:51 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
I hope they explore ideas on installing some kind of victims memorial on a portion of the actual site where the tragedy took place. Who knows if that will happen though.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:04 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Let's suppose that we implement all these security measures and invade everyone's privacy in every single public place.

What is to stop a madman from driving a truck into a crowd?

What is to stop someone building a bomb and planting it next to a venue?

What is to stop someone from using drones to fly bombs into an area and detonating them?

What is to stop someone making a poison and releasing it into the water air or food supply?

I'm not sure about you guys but 58 being the deadliest shooting doesn't sound too bad compared to bombing statistics.

The deadliest mass shooting had 58 victims.
The second deadliest had 49.
The third 32
Fourth 27
Now let's look at some bombing death tolls.

And those aren't even the deadliest. I just looked up random bombings.

Let's not push these guys to bombs.

And before someone says bomb making materials are regulated, you might want to study some chemistry or do a quick google.
You can make bombs from household items. You can make bombs with Home Depot items. They are not hard to make even with regulations.
Sound like what you are saying is:

Since bombings kill more people than guns, we shouldn't worry about gun killings.

It's like saying, since heroin addiction is much worse than meth addiction, we shouldn't worry about people using meth.

Your argument doesn't make sense.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:05 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
My argument is we focus on the weapons and ignore the person using the weapon and that's the problem. So let's say we ban all guns in the entire country lunatics will still be lunatics. Lunatics are crazy and you can't really plan on how to stop them because they don't think like rational people. And if we ignorantly do away with guns and push them towards bombs we're going to have a whole lot more dead bodies because we're not addressing the actual problem which is people. We need unconventional thinkers thinking up scenarios to counteract so we can have a better plan for when lunatics lunatic.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:54 PM

373 posts, read 348,728 times
Has anyone have any more updates / info that's came out ?

Last two new items I heard abojt was him firing on the jet fuel at the airport and that he had a reservation overlooking lolapalooza that he never showed up for

Old 10-07-2017, 02:25 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
Has anyone have any more updates / info that's came out ?

Last two new items I heard abojt was him firing on the jet fuel at the airport and that he had a reservation overlooking lolapalooza that he never showed up for
He had three other similar locations with reservations or places he stayed at prior to this.

An AirBnB condo at the Ogden overlooking the Life is Beautiful music festival in Downtown Las Vegas. He actually stayed there so he was looking down on that one. They speculate it was in preparation for this attack.

I've been to an open-air concert in downtown LV once and I remember I did look up over my shoulder at the buildings behind us for snipers during the middle of the concert. That's the age we live in but don't always talk about. I always think about it because I grew up in Austin and everyone knows the UT tower story, and I grew up in the age of mass shootings at schools when I was in school. We had drills. Then it spread to other locations. Now we have four-year-olds after Sandy Hook doing the active shooter drills and standing on toilets with there hands on their chest to self-sooth and stay silent. Hmm.

He also stayed at El Cortez and he's a high roller so they wondered about that since he can easily get a room on the Strip for free.

He reserved a room earlier this year overlooking Lollapalooza in Chicago where the Obama sisters attended. He never showed up.

He also considered Fenway Park in Boston.

There's lots on the shooter if you're following that. He was a misanthrope, but they don't have a motive yet. Maybe his package hasn't arrived to the press yet?

And when we don't have all the facts I leave it up to my highly imaginative mind to entertain.

There was also a full moon last night. The Harvest Moon, Blood Moon, Hunters Moon. Makes me think of the lone-wolf howling at the full moon. A Grim Reaper with his scythe came to harvest souls.

And listen to these CCR lyrics. Spooky happenstance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUQiUFZ5RDw

Don't worry, I have more abstract ideas on connections to the site too. If they're throwing them out there then look up the Luxor hotel and the sphinx curse with it facing the wrong direction. It's overlooking this site as well. I could see them making a tourist attraction out of it for the morse. Buzzed Vegas says the Luxor is the most haunted hotel based on a handful of reviews on Trip Advisor.

One thing I've been waiting to see is if they did an autopsy on the shooter yet. In Charles Whitman's case, he had an undiagnosed brain tumor they cited for his behavioral changes. I know the shooter sustained a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head but it could be possible he had a brain tumor. His girlfriend did say he would sometimes lay in bed and moan loudly like something was in his head.

One of the main leads they're following came from this actually. They're investigating if he suffered from mental illness.

They have no evidence he pledged his allegiance to ISIS though ISIS claims he converted and they take responsibility. Anyways, if he did I'd bet Las Vegas would never give this one or any potential past one to ISIS. No way. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

They have no evidence he's AntiFa either. Which conspiracy theorists were really grasping at straws there.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:07 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,576,990 times
They are saying some of his ammo was purchased by someone else. I'm not sure how they know this. When I buy ammo they never ask my name. The only thing that could be used to trace anything like that would be a purchase at Bass Pro or Big 5 on my credit card. But that would be MY purchase, not someone elses. Does this mean they have another person of interest and they searched his/her credit cards then when to that store and pulled the receipt to make sure it wasn't tennis shoes or camping gear bought?

Old 10-07-2017, 10:13 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
Also I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with dan bilzerian I just came across this footage

Pretty crazy and I'm curious as to what he said to the cop I couldn't pick up on it . But that cop was a dbag

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rXrQZ_...PkD7vX0LSJzjzA
No he wasn't. The dumbass asked him for a gun. Repeatedly. You've got police under heavy fire and some idiot they don't know from Adam wants them to give him a gun? I think the cop treated him exactly as he should have. Under different circumstances I would expect them to arrest him for interference.

"I wanna be a hero!" Not.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:19 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Sound like what you are saying is:

Since bombings kill more people than guns, we shouldn't worry about gun killings.

It's like saying, since heroin addiction is much worse than meth addiction, we shouldn't worry about people using meth.

Your argument doesn't make sense.
I think the point he's trying to make is the futility of more security at the hotels. If some dimwit can't get in a hotel so they can shoot down at people they'll find a different, possibly more deadly way. Maniacs are, if nothing else, creative.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:18 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
Virginia Tech football players will have special "Prevail Las Vegas" stickers on their helmets today. When the shooting happened at VT, UNLV students and community held a vigil. As a VT alumni, I was touched and it helped me not be so sad.

I am glad the team and the University are making a supportive statement.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HokiesFB/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas