Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2017, 02:11 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
How many rifles did they allow the guy to bring up to the room?

Okay, yes, I know, a very good counter argument could be made that it isn't MGMs responsibility to police what guest bring to their room. But a judge may decide to let a jury decide where that is the case.
Nah. You will never get a court to agree that a hotel keeper has a responsibility to review the luggage of a guest. That would be an earth shaking decision. And not a chance in Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 02:53 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
You may be right, but we both know damn well they're going to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nah. You will never get a court to agree that a hotel keeper has a responsibility to review the luggage of a guest. That would be an earth shaking decision. And not a chance in Nevada.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
You may be right, but we both know damn well they're going to try.
On that we can agree.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:52 PM

397 posts, read 319,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2016 View Post
This is different. People need to live somewhere, but people don`t need to visit vegas for vacation.
It is comparing apples with potatoes.
Orlando is also a tourist town, and I've been there several times since the Pulse shooting, I don't think most people even think twice about going there. UFC 216 just took place in Vegas, the show will go on...

Old 10-08-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Legal concealed gun owners where forced to disarm prior to entering the event. The police and event sponsors created the perfect soft target.
There were armed officers on the scene who didn't fire a shot because they knew it would have been counterproductive. In the footage I've seen, none of them even had their guns out. And one of the band members was talking about how lots of his guys were able to get to their concealed carry weapons but didn't fire either because they were worried they'd be confused as perpetrators. Cops and security guards tried to access the shooter's room, but they were forced back by about 200 bullets and one of them was wounded. Only SWAT was equipped to deal with that situation, although the shooter had already taken his own life by the time they breached the room.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Is it out of the question to speculate that this guy being a millionaire had everything he could ask for in life and being that he was probably an atheist so he had no sense of having a soul at all, he just decided that he was in the mood to shoot people. In other words, did he shoot up the crowd for the simple reason because he felt like it?
LOL. Yeah, atheists just shoot up crowds because they feel like it.

Assuming this A-hole was even an atheist (his girlfriend stated that she believed in God in her statement, but no word if he is or isn't yet), I doubt that had anything to do with this. You're really ignorant about what atheism is and what atheists do.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:22 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Is it out of the question to speculate that this guy being a millionaire had everything he could ask for in life and being that he was probably an atheist so he had no sense of having a soul at all, he just decided that he was in the mood to shoot people. In other words, did he shoot up the crowd for the simple reason because he felt like it?
What an ignorant thing to post.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I think I was reading that his room where he shot from was 1,100 feet from the concert. That is almost 4 football fields lined up end to end. I don't know anything about guns, but that seems like a long distance to shoot accurately for a non professional. Seems like it would be difficult to practice shooting from that long a distance at a gun range.

Also I'm a little confused on the timeline. I read where he shot for 9-11 minutes, and then I thought I also read where it took 72 min from the time he started shooting until they kicked in his hotel door. Do I have this right? Why did it take them 1 hr and 12 min to get to his room? This seems like it would have taken maybe 20 min max. Couldn't they have just seen where the broken windows were and determined what floor and room that was pretty quickly?
A security guard made it to the shooter's room just minutes into the shooting. He was turned back by suppressive fire. The shooter had multiple security cameras setup so where he could see first responders approaching the room. Later on, police made it to the room and also were turned back by suppressive fire, approximately 200 rounds. So they had to wait for SWAT to get there. But he was already dead at his own hands by the time that SWAT breached the room.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:31 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
How many rifles did they allow the guy to bring up to the room?

Okay, yes, I know, a very good counter argument could be made that it isn't MGMs responsibility to police what guest bring to their room. But a judge may decide to let a jury decide where that is the case.
Do you realize he could have stuffed a dozen rifles in a couple of golf bags? Zip up the travel cover on a pink bag and a blue golf bag and carry them to your room, heck even the bell hop wouldn't think twice about it especially if you looked the part (64 yr old white guy, collared shirt, etc). It would simply look like his and her golf bags! An AK47 weighs about 7 lbs so 6 of them stuffed in a golf bag would be 50-55 lbs with the bag. Nobody would think twice about a golf bag that weighed that if they thought it was full of balls, 14 clubs and a pair of shoes.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:39 PM

60 minutes was most interesting tonight. The room was busted by a ragtag set of 4 cops who mostly had no reason to be there. Only one was actually SWAT...though he had the stuff to blow the door. They came together from assignments elsewhere and formed an instant team. They were outside the door for a while figuring out what to do. They realized that he could see them and were worried about him shooting them or a booby trap. Finally blew the door and found him dead.

Brave guys who did very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas