Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 12:50 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times

Advertisements

Our house is unoccupied 6-9 months of the year, and the pool is covered whenever we aren't there. When it's covered it requires almost no maintenance, as long as the cover stays in place. The chlorine residual does sometimes drop to zero, but with no sunlight hitting the water, no algae grows, except in the strainer basket of the pool pump, since it has a clear cover. If I just put something opaque over it, I probably wouldn't even get algae in the strainer basket.

Regarding pucks, I wouldn't say never use them, just stop using them once your CYA is at a sufficient level. If you ever have zero CYA in your pool (after changing all of the water for example), you can bring the level up with stabilizer until it's close, then use pucks until it gets in that range where you want it. Last time I changed the water in my pool I dumped in a gallon of the pre-dissolved stabilizer, then used pucks for a few months until my CYA was around 70ppm (50-80ppm ideal for high-UV region, per troublefreepool.com).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 09:17 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
best to go over to troublefreepool forums and do some reading and post some questions

Old 10-08-2017, 05:00 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,057,886 times
You don t need to close a pool here in the winter. It doesn't get cold enough. Just maintain a clorine residual and maintain the ph. Change the timer to run between 5 and 7am... Coldest part of the night or use a freeze switch. With 2." pipes they will take hours to freeze.

I drained the above ground plumbing and pump and filter last year and left it off all winter. Everything survived, but I did end up with some scaling on parts of the pool. It appears the acid did not mix with the water and settled into the low points of the pool (where the was subsequently no scaling).

Below 60 degrees I have left the pool without chlorine for weeks with no issues.... Too cold to grow algae. Just need to shock it in the spring.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:42 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxsyboy View Post
On the nights it's forecast to get close to freezing, be sure to run your pump. I just change the timer on my pump during the winter to run from midnight to 7 am.
I do the same thing.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:42 PM

698 posts, read 986,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisSuarez View Post
Never use pucks they raise your cya
In my pool 1 trichlor puck will raise my CYA 1.2. No issues for me floating them during the winter and by start of summer I'm usually at my desired swim season level. If it gets too high I simply pull out the puck and use bleach to maintain my chlorine level.

I test my CYA (home test, not pools store garbage test) every other week to monitor.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:36 PM

236 posts, read 405,929 times
Ok I'm still learning...what is CYA. I'm sure it's not the CYA I know

Old 10-13-2017, 06:48 PM

347 posts, read 511,969 times
Cyuranic Acid or stabilizer it makes your chlorine last longer. The problem is if your cya goes too high the chlorine becomes less effective. Once your cya is too high the only way to get it down is to dump a lot of water and refill.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:15 PM

236 posts, read 405,929 times
Leslie's did tell us we should empty the pool and refill. They said the water is old? Maybe that's why.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:26 AM

799 posts, read 708,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyzs View Post
Leslie's did tell us we should empty the pool and refill. They said the water is old? Maybe that's why.
Be very very careful trusting anything you are told from Leslies! Sometimes you get really good advice, and often you get really bad advice, designed to increase the ringing of their cash register.

It is possible you need to exchange your water, but if you do, I'd personally wait until the spring, because it'll just immediately start building up the things that force you into that position (calcium seems to be the worst out here, but cya from pucks can be a factor, as can salt if you have a salt water pool)

It would be a wise investment in your time to spend some time reading the forums and "pool school" on troublefreepool.com (as others have already mentioned) They have a very helpful community, have outstanding information, and you can even buy the tools to become your own pool chemistry expert (or at least know why things went wrong) After a little bit of reading, you may even find you rarely, if ever, visit leslies again..

Old 10-14-2017, 09:50 AM

561 posts, read 681,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyzs View Post
Water doesn't get old. Some chemicals remain in the water, some break down. Cyanuric acid (stabilizer) is one that accumulates. CYA is part of the chlorine pucks. Stabilizer protects the chlorine from reacting from the sunlight and oxidizing away, but it also reduces the effectiveness of the chlorine. So, if you've been using pucks for a long time, the CYA levels have likely built up. Partial drain/refill is a possible action. The point is that Leslie's doesn't know what's going on, and isn't really a good source of advice. Their job is to sell you chemicals.

Visit troublefreefool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: