U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 01:11 PM

11,574 posts, read 22,669,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Having just bought a home in Henderson I can vouch for how tight the housing market is, although prices are coming down a little, which cold be a seasonal thing. I personally think that the price drop is partially from homes being over-priced to begin with and just sitting on the market. Even when availability is low, most people won't over-pay, at least I wouldn't.

I'd also agree that for $165K there probably aren't many places you'd want to live in. Our budget was considerably higher and even in that price range we saw a lot of crap.

The OP said he had a realtor, but if he needs one the guy we used was great. He got the deal done for the price we wanted to pay and even got the inspection done within 2 days of the purchase. The whole process went a lot smoother than I expected.
it is a seasonal thing.... even Zillow states that if I waited till April, I could see a 5k increase in price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 08:08 PM

71 posts, read 38,236 times
If you are open to a townhouse, I bought a townhouse in the 89002 area in Henderson, in the price range you are looking in. It's only got a 1 car garage, but nobody above or below me and the only common walls are the kitchen and bathrooms so not much in the way of noise. Nice safe area, mountain views and easy freeway access. This one is for sale and similar to what I bought:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-16938#photo11

Those townhouses are pretty nice, built around 2005. The only drawback is it's maybe 30 minutes to the airport area depending on traffic but if you can handle the drive I don't think you can beat the price for a newer place in such a nice area of Henderson...

Old 10-12-2017, 01:19 AM

447 posts, read 342,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Having just bought a home in Henderson I can vouch for how tight the housing market is, although prices are coming down a little, which cold be a seasonal thing. I personally think that the price drop is partially from homes being over-priced to begin with and just sitting on the market. Even when availability is low, most people won't over-pay, at least I wouldn't.

I'd also agree that for $165K there probably aren't many places you'd want to live in. Our budget was considerably higher and even in that price range we saw a lot of crap.

The OP said he had a realtor, but if he needs one the guy we used was great. He got the deal done for the price we wanted to pay and even got the inspection done within 2 days of the purchase. The whole process went a lot smoother than I expected.
I was hoping to buy during the summer months in Henderson but there was almost no inventory. The few that I bid on because they were actually priced at market value sold in a day at or above list.

Everything left on the market are owners who bought in 2005-08 hoping someone will bail them out now that prices are almost completely back to the stupid levels.

Thankfully the market is slowing down. I have received more alerts for price reductions/new listings in the past week than I have the past 6 months.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
I was hoping to buy during the summer months in Henderson but there was almost no inventory. The few that I bid on because they were actually priced at market value sold in a day at or above list.

Everything left on the market are owners who bought in 2005-08 hoping someone will bail them out now that prices are almost completely back to the stupid levels.

Thankfully the market is slowing down. I have received more alerts for price reductions/new listings in the past week than I have the past 6 months.
this is the time of year it slows down.. come February or march, it explodes again...

Old 10-17-2017, 11:15 PM

272 posts, read 136,235 times
While I think it is a so-so area... the block around Pecos/Flamingo to Eastern/Trop has some older rancher style houses in smallish developments that look like they haven't fared too badly and might still be in your price range(I haven't looked in a while and I am not an agent). Its pretty good block bad/block over there... so if you see any warning signs, I would move on to the next one. Its not particularly low crime, but not particularly high crime either. I don't recall if you said you had kids, but the schools there aren't great, but if you're not having any kids in the next 5 years, it might be a place to stay, for now. There are some recent signs of revitalization over there, but it still looks pretty economically so-so to me. You can definitely find a condo south of sunset in your price range, but you already said you're not looking for condos.... ie I think if you can be south of sunset over there you can get something half-way decent in your price range... I'm not sure if you'll find an SFR though unless it needs a LOT of work.

If you can do a condo with a 1 car garage off Horizon ridge I think you can make this happen.... might need to be modernized, but should be totally livable.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:30 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,741,523 times
This is the map that I used back in 2011 before we bought just as a basic guideline.

Crime in Las Vegas

Old 10-18-2017, 09:01 PM

165 next to impossible for sfr in Vegas... heck, unless its a manufactured home or old, hard to find 165 even in pahrump ... pahrump still has new for 200 but they are tiny

Last edited by airics; 10-18-2017 at 09:10 PM..

Old 10-21-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
165 next to impossible for sfr in Vegas... heck, unless its a manufactured home or old, hard to find 165 even in pahrump ... pahrump still has new for 200 but they are tiny
I hadn't looked recently but as recently as 2 years ago there were sfrs selling in the area I mentioned right around 100K. At the time, I was working in that area and considered buying one just to avoid the commute, turn it into a rental later.

Actually, I just recently saw a billboard for a new development up in NLV off Nellis advertised as starting "in the 100's," which absolutely floored me. But yeah, not too great of an area, but what you're buying doesn't have to be your "forever" home either. Honestly, I think I would pass on most of NLV but if I were in the right situation, I might consider something in the area I mentioned if it was only a short term deal.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:12 PM

Wow, I just took a look out of curiosity and the prices sure have gone up... Definitely no SFRs but lots of condos and townhouses in that range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or