U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 02:48 PM

13,843 posts, read 25,223,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
Right now I work at the airport, though my job is specifically with a subcontracted company that is not MSP specific and pays the same, sometimes more, regardless of location it seems. I already checked with the LAS airport pay for the job/company, pays the same as what I make now and given the Vegas rent it'll be much more affordable to work with. As of now, 40hr weeks just barely cut it and I still need to work a second job just to afford bills comfortably enough. Looking online, the pay for what I make is just a bit higher than average, for the area, and it's highly easy for me to transfer within the company. Should take about a 2-3wks after I put in my request to get approved (2 week notice basically).
Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 08:28 PM

11,982 posts, read 23,475,862 times
How much do you think the rent is here?

Old 10-15-2017, 09:41 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,063,038 times
If cost of living is all you care about you should do even more clicking. You will realize there are lots of cities as cheap or cheaper. They may or may not work for you but at least you will see there is no catch to the rent levels.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:25 PM

55 posts, read 35,619 times
Yes Las Vegas is a town not discussed much as far as high rents.. You have the close proximity to California and the beautiful sun and palm trees. I am happy to know that you can still find a decent neighborhood and apartment for under $1,100.

I attended school here in the 90's and paid $379 per month for a really cute studio apartment with a balcony in walking distance to UNLV in a quiet area...... away from the loud college campus apartment scene.

To me Las Vegas is quiet in areas (away from the strip)........ and suburban like any other city.
The strip will be one area in my opinion where you can go out and eat and have a good time with friends and family.

Then again I only went lived there while in college and not as a full grown adult looking to work and create a life there.

Now that I am attempting a career change into law I don't think I will find many administrative jobs here that I can work until I finish school ........unless I am wrong. Also there is no ABA approved paralegal program in Las Vegas unfortunately. Only in Reno, NV. Otherwise I would consider being here as a segway to be in California eventually after finishing school with a good job offer.

Last edited by sunlady16; 10-20-2017 at 02:34 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 02:31 PM

10,834 posts, read 9,257,267 times
Yes, but if you compare the living expense to fun/entertainment/activity factor ratio, Vegas is hard to beat. Places that are cheaper tend to be MUCH sleepier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
If cost of living is all you care about you should do even more clicking. You will realize there are lots of cities as cheap or cheaper. They may or may not work for you but at least you will see there is no catch to the rent levels.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:52 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,063,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Yes, but if you compare the living expense to fun/entertainment/activity factor ratio, Vegas is hard to beat. Places that are cheaper tend to be MUCH sleepier.
If dealing with the Strip is your cup of tea. Anyways so many people living in Vegas are hyper focused on cost of living to the point where I wonder why they didn't move to Texas or Mississippi so they can claim a bigger victory

Old 10-20-2017, 08:29 PM

2,174 posts, read 1,553,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Weather is pretty awesome here too, but some things are lacking in terms of things to do and food options

One thing that sucks is I cannot go buy lamb (for cheap)

No subway (transportation) either so we're not getting Amazon's 2nd HQ

Old 10-21-2017, 05:08 AM

2,683 posts, read 2,087,398 times
Quote:
So long story short: I was originally looking around at California online and stumbled into Las Vegas. I really couldn't, and still can't, believe the rental costs I was seeing. I guess I really expected it to cost WAY more than what I'm seeing, including the outskirts and especially if I'm specifically looking at places that allow cats. Of course the cynic is me feels there's a hidden reason as to why (I've had one too many 'its too good to be true' moments).

So I really want to know what is the living like out there? Is there plentiful employment, is the education system out there good (specifically colleges/universities for pre-vet students), and is crime something I really have to be considerate of?

Like I am still looking, especially since I got until June (when my lease ends) to decide a freaking state. And considering the rent looks manageable, I currently see no reason to not consider Nevada unless there's something obviously wrong with the state that I am clearly oblivious of.

And my company does work with the LAS airport, so I could (and if it seems like a good move, will) fly out there to have a physically look around. I just don't have the vacation time to fly out there willy nilly and look around on a whim, that's money wasted in my opinion. Especially if it turns out Nevada is a HELL no state, like I did with San Francisco upon discovering the cost of rent. A trip I never took and money saved. I might get flight benefits, but I still gotta pay and take (unpaid) time off.
Psst...It's freaking AWESOME to live there! You're gonna love it.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:54 AM

10,834 posts, read 9,257,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Weather is pretty awesome here too, but some things are lacking in terms of things to do and food options
What? It's one of the worlds entertainment capitals, with some of the best restaurants in the world, with vast amounts of outdoor activity sites surrounding the town, and you're complaining about not enough to do and dining options. Even for locals, there's a ton to do. You're now even getting major league sports moving in.
Quote:

One thing that sucks is I cannot go buy lamb (for cheap)

No subway (transportation) either so we're not getting Amazon's 2nd HQ
A subway wouldn't work in LV. LV built it's topology around cars. Grafting a transit system on top of that is likely to be ineffective.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:20 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,372,018 times
Quote:
...is the education system out there good (specifically colleges/universities for pre-vet students)...
According to the following list in Wikipedia, there are 31 colleges or schools of Veterinary Medicine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#United_States . I bring this up because it would be best to pick a few desired vet schools, call the admission department, and then ask for demographic information on the origin of students in the preceding few years, and that may influence where you wish to move.

For example, there are no schools of Veterinary Medicine in Nevada. There is one in nearby Utah at Utah State University in Logan -- it has 30 slots per year. Each year, the USU program accepts 20 Utah residents and 10 non-Utah residents. That is, there is an in-state preference. Applying to that program from Nevada means you're competing for one of the 10 non-Utah resident spots, whereas attending a school in Utah means you're competing for one of the 20 in-state resident spots.

There is one school of Veterinary Medicine in California (UC Davis). Most of the just admitted class are in-state students. There were two students admitted from Nevada -- both graduates of the University of Nevada (Reno). None from UNLV.

Your Home state of Minnesota has a College of Veterinary Medicine. https://www.vetmed.umn.edu/about/college-facts . It says there are about 400 students studying to receive their DVM, plus another 61 students pursuing graduate work (probably towards a PhD). The most recent class has 104 students, of which 52 are in-state while 52 are out-of-state.

In contrast Michigan State has a school of Veterinary Medicine with about 100 slots each year (see where I'm going?) Michigan State also has a split between in-state and out-of-state admissions (and tuition, of course). See https://cvm.msu.edu/future-students/...f-2021-profile . Approximate 80% of their current class are residents of Michigan. Note that not a single member of this year's class is from Nevada.

So... my advice is to use your final destination (Vet School) as a way to select where you want to live now.

The following picture has a ton of demographic info on Michigan State's program.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 10-21-2017 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or