U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 12:10 AM

9,064 posts, read 9,217,240 times

Advertisements

Legislation was signed on October 28, 2000, allowing Clark County to purchase land for a new commercial airport.[citation needed] The county was to buy 6,500 acres (2,600 ha) of land in the Ivanpah Valley from the Bureau of Land Management, about 30 miles (48 km) southwest of McCarran International Airport for the Ivanpah Airport. The location is between the towns of Jean and Primm.
The airport had been planned to open in 2017. However the Clark County Department of Aviation announced the project was put on temporary hold as of June 2010 due to the Great Recession, until air traffic and tourism demands to Metro Las Vegas returns and increases.

McCarran had 47.4 million passengers in 2016 which means it may hit the trigger level of 49.5 million passengers in 2018 that was supposed to be the signal to start work on Ivanpah. At the very least the airport should hit that level by 2019.

What is your opinion? Keep in mind that only one successful reliever airport has been built in North America without first closing or severely limiting the old airport. That airport was Washington Dulles which lived on federal grants for 20 years until it could support itself.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 09:51 AM

1,151 posts, read 714,505 times
Quote:
[citation needed]
?

Is this a cut and paste from Wikipedia?

Old 10-24-2017, 10:33 AM

9,951 posts, read 8,438,330 times
No one seems to have any urgency in moving forward with this. I don't see it being successful as a passenger airport without some sort of high speed rail link to the strip (or at least McCarren)

I wonder how much it would cost (relative to the new airport) to seize a bunch of land on the north side of McCarren an build another runway or two there? Obviously a huge number, and big political issues. But compared to a new airport, it might be worth looking at.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:42 PM

26,881 posts, read 38,123,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
No one seems to have any urgency in moving forward with this. I don't see it being successful as a passenger airport without some sort of high speed rail link to the strip (or at least McCarren)

I wonder how much it would cost (relative to the new airport) to seize a bunch of land on the north side of McCarren an build another runway or two there? Obviously a huge number, and big political issues. But compared to a new airport, it might be worth looking at.
This. I'd wager taxi companies would fight it. Imagine the wandering they could do to jack up the fares!

Old 10-24-2017, 03:09 PM

10,683 posts, read 3,738,322 times
Quote:

Not sure it is a runway problem. Air traffic may be more of a factor. And there is no interest in moving people to Ivanpah. The interest at least initially would be freight and eventually some small part of the people but the vast majority would go to McCarran.

Might also be interesting as an International Port of Entry. Air deliveries for distribution in the SW.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:51 PM

105 posts, read 88,393 times
Quote:
I would say the logistics and financials would make that impossible. UNLV and hundreds of businesses along Tropicana would be in the way. It would also end up as an arrival-only runway westbound and departure only eastbound due to the high-rise hotels. It would also make it impossible to run traffic in/out of 19L/R simultaneously as those arrivals/departures already scrape the boundary with Nellis AFB airspace.

The only thing that moving cargo to Ivanpah would do is free up a bit of land on the east side of the airport to build a small terminal. There are fewer than 10 cargo flights a day at LAS.

Runway capacity isn't a big issue most times of the day, and that could easily be remedied by jacking fees on general aviation to force some of that traffic to Henderson or North Vegas.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:19 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,199,022 times
Can't see it. Too far away. Isn't it like a $100 cab fare from anywhere in Las Vegas?

Old 10-24-2017, 07:24 PM

10,683 posts, read 3,738,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Can't see it. Too far away. Isn't it like a $100 cab fare from anywhere in Las Vegas?
Has to come with transport to McCarran or the Strip. I would think a hyperloop would be great. And the County controls that right of way so relatively easily done.

Could really be interesting if done right. Open up the whole area to development with quick commute to the central city. A modern version of the old trolley car scheme.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:28 PM

9,951 posts, read 8,438,330 times
How much cargo only traffic does McCarran get? If the passenger count is growing past capacity, they'll have to put the passengers somewhere .

I think there's room for another remote gate complex, or to expand the D gates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Not sure it is a runway problem. Air traffic may be more of a factor. And there is no interest in moving people to Ivanpah. The interest at least initially would be freight and eventually some small part of the people but the vast majority would go to McCarran.

Might also be interesting as an International Port of Entry. Air deliveries for distribution in the SW.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:03 PM

1,827 posts, read 1,262,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Has to come with transport to McCarran or the Strip. I would think a hyperloop would be great. And the County controls that right of way so relatively easily done.
Hyperloop isn't ready yet.....

that or some other mode of high speed transport for the commute would be the only way to make it viable imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or