Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 02:38 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times

Advertisements

What is the cheapest way to get divorced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 04:32 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,056,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
What is the cheapest way to get divorced?
I am not a lawyer, but in my opinion the absolute cheapest way is probably to get both parties to agree and file the paperwork yourselves at the courthouse. I have seen several signs/billboards around town advertising $500 divorces as well.

I suspect that if there is no prenup, there is no cheap way out of it for anyone involved unless all parties can agree on the terms and end it cooperatively.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:40 PM

Well, we have no assets.
She wants the kids but is too lazy to do anything so I will be pushing for them. I have the job, house, car, etc.
She has no job history, no skills, and doesn't do anything around the house.
I have a large number of character references as well.
So other than that, it should go smoothly.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
She wants the kids but is too lazy to do anything so I will be pushing for them. I have the job, house, car, etc.
This right here sounds to me like you will probably need a lawyer. I, personally, have not been married, but I had close friends who ended up in divorces after many years and kids were in the picture and these things can get quite "messy" if everyone is not on the same page.

How do I know? I basically had to watch this one couple's kids at my own house for an extended period of time because of the fighting and domestic violence that kept occurring in their own home while the separation and divorce ensued. Sadly, it has affected our own relationships as well, even though I knew both of these people for many years before they were married, I am no longer in contact with either of them.

I also suspect the $500 lawyers are going to do little more than file the paperwork for you.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:36 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,721,022 times
If you can get her to sign off on the asset division allocation and child custody that you both agree upon. Then pay the $500 for the preparation and file. Otherwise you both will need legal counsel and it will be expensive. Personal habits and work history is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to asset division in NV. It will only be considered on child custody. Good Luck with it.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:17 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
They made a song about it..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ-w_IKGRFM

Old 10-28-2017, 08:21 PM

45 posts, read 218,198 times
One option I used (no kids and short marriage) was to buy a "standard" wording MSA (Marital Separation Agreement) document off the internet for $40 (back in 2002) and used Microsoft Word to tailor (add/subtract language) it to my situation. Filed on my own at the county clerk at the family law part of the court. Then got the other divorce party to sign the MSA in agreement (this is key). Went in front of judge and since no dispute was granted Dissolution of Marriage. Total cost if I recall was about $500 including filing fees and MSA document. Might have to search around internet for a decent MSA to purchase/download. Kids will most likely complicate things. All the best with the process.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:30 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,275,915 times
So sorry to hear this EA. If you can agree on the division of assests and child custody then you can easily file yourselves. Macgeek posted the link around here once awhile back in the thread where the lady didn't speak good English. If you guys are going to fight over anything, especially kids, then you'll need representation. That will cost you. In a divorce you can't go back for the money but you can go back for the kids. So that part could be a lengthy process unless you come to agreements outside the courts each time. If the kids are over 14 the judges take into consideration where the child or children want to live.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:37 PM

There are no assetts, guys.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:43 PM

I would like to add something else. If you can swing it, please do all you can to keep the kids out of it. If there is even any hint of arguing or fighting amongst you two, I would suggest that you find someone else to watch the kids during that time and I would even go so far as to suggest that it not be family members who will try to influence the children in either direction.

I only stepped in when asked because I felt it was the right thing to do. Early on, the older child caught wind of what was going on and began acting out both at home and at school. The younger child was too young to understand what was going on, and would go on for hours bawling her lungs out for her mommy and daddy when she was left with me, and I would have to call her mom on the cell phone to talk to her on speakerphone while she was at work to calm her down.

I can see that this is potentially a very traumatic event for the children involved, and I urge you, that if you can find other options to explore, such as counseling, you should seriously consider these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: