Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
This came out garbled. NVE TOU affects electric rates, not gas rates.

I know you mean 'heating', not 'cooling', but this is not necessarily true.

I believe the actual number is $6.40 per million BTU
I should of started off that I was using space heaters. I know it doesn't affect gas rates. It takes 293kwh to generate a million BTU with a space heater so with TOU the cost is a lot lower.

Yes, I meant heating. Why do you say it is not necessarily true? For me, I figure it's cheaper to heat the one bedroom that is occupied in my second floor than to heat the entire floor. It's probably 150 sq ft. for one bedroom compared to 1500 sq ft. for the whole floor or 1/10 the size. I know its not going to be exactly 1/10 the cost since some heat would be loss to the rest of the house even with doors closed.

I was using this site to calculate cost but it wasn't the best Comparing Cost: Gas Furnace Vs. Electric Heater | Home Guides | SF Gate

According to this site Cost of Heating - Worksheet at our cost of about $.68 per therm its $8.50 per million BTU.

So my savings won't be as much as I expected but I think there is still a savings. But with my HEV TOU rates the cost is down to $13.5 per million BTU. Heating 1/10 the space its only $1.35. That's under a perfect scenario which I'm not getting but even if it's just 50% reduction in net heating requirements I'm still saving money. I think if I keep the heating to under 50% of the house I am saving something. Also with space heaters I get a little more customization. Some people in the house like it a warmer for their room while I prefer it to be cooler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 07:48 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,014,034 times
10 therms = 1 million BTU, so $.68 per therm is $6.80 per million BTU. The actual cost on my SW Gas bill is $6.40 per 10 therms. My NVE TOU winter rate on Schedule B is $.05225 per kwh.

The space heater might save you money, but not everyone can close off 90% of a floor. Are you able to isolate one room by closing vents in the other rooms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas