U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:36 PM

15,756 posts, read 36,355,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
they should have told me where the dohickey was and what kind of dohickey i would need to open the dohickey. and once i got the dohickey opened what to do with whatever dohickey i would find inside.

Comeon...I open those things with a ball point pen and turn them with a stick or a clothes hanger...

Hey us Realtors are always prepared...

Lying a little. I do have a tool box in the trunk. But I have gotten water on with only the detrius found on the property.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 12:05 AM

10,445 posts, read 24,146,661 times
I'm worried about 5Kings...i think next the cable goes out..
So that's one of the downsides of foreclosure mania and idiotic utility company employees.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:09 AM

229 posts, read 784,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Want to have a little fun? Go after them. They are for instance required to give you ten days notice before they interrupt service.

I would figure out how many hours were consumed in the activities to get power back on then go down and demand a credit of $50 an hour for the time spent. I would also file a complaint with the PUC requesting the same sum.

If they don't buy it right away I would keep a record of the time spent and continue to increase the amount involved. Keep detail records. Go to the public utilities commission site for some views on all this.

The first thing you do is go to the office and demand the credit for the time you have spent. When turned down demand a supervisor. They are required to provide one. Explain what has happened and what you want. They won't give it to you but they will likely provide you with forms to make a claim. Keep track of all your time.

You get the idea...

In the end game take them to small claims court. Bet the bill is upward of 3,000 by then. Interestingly enough I bet they settle at that point. If not you go a good shot at winning at least partially. They suffer from dirty hands..they violated the law when they turned you off without proper notification. So you are pretty much entitled to damages.

Note that this is a hobby project. In the end you won't make 20 an hour. But it is interesting and you will meet lots of people.
You can try all that olecapt suggested, but what you will end up finding in the end is that those two utilities made an "honest mistake" and you will see nothing on your end. I spent the last 11 years working in the utility industry there and what happened to you is uncommon to most, but used to happen on a daily basis. At some point a rep at each company input the incorrect address for the corresponding meter. I also used to work with the PUC and I'd suggest that you could contact them with a very detailed and "non-biased" (just the facts) account of what happened to you, but don't expect any sort of retribution. The PUC doesn't have to investigate anything, and the local utilities don't have to cooperate with them in these matters, but they typically do. In a case like yours, I'd be very surprised if the PUC shows much interest. Don't believe me, file a complaint and see who's looking out for who. Nevada Power is notorious for bad service and bad management (go in there and demand to speak to a supervisor and then see if one actually appears in person). They have complaints filed against them pretty consistently, but little changes.

You may want to call Nev Power and ask what your meter number is, then go verify what number is on the meter on your house. The scenario you described sounds like someone input the wrong information on your home. You may end up paying the bill of another home on your street, and them paying yours, but it also sounds like the field rep found this and it should have been corrected. I'd still call and ask just to make sure. That was something that happened on occasion while the housing boom was taking place because everyone was in a rush.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:12 AM

229 posts, read 784,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
oh so now the water department, when i got the keys to my new house, water was off, called the water company, they said water was on, the valve in my garage was on.. they charged $15 to come out and turn the dohickey in the street, so then "how was my water on?"
The previous tenant shut your water off himself and no one told you. The water company couldn't have known this. Since they came out, they charged you. They don't want you touching their meter or the valve at the curb so they probably didn't suggest that you check it.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:19 AM

15,756 posts, read 36,355,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackackack View Post
You can try all that olecapt suggested, but what you will end up finding in the end is that those two utilities made an "honest mistake" and you will see nothing on your end. I spent the last 11 years working in the utility industry there and what happened to you is uncommon to most, but used to happen on a daily basis. At some point a rep at each company input the incorrect address for the corresponding meter. I also used to work with the PUC and I'd suggest that you could contact them with a very detailed and "non-biased" (just the facts) account of what happened to you, but don't expect any sort of retribution. The PUC doesn't have to investigate anything, and the local utilities don't have to cooperate with them in these matters, but they typically do. In a case like yours, I'd be very surprised if the PUC shows much interest. Don't believe me, file a complaint and see who's looking out for who. Nevada Power is notorious for bad service and bad management (go in there and demand to speak to a supervisor and then see if one actually appears in person). They have complaints filed against them pretty consistently, but little changes.

You may want to call Nev Power and ask what your meter number is, then go verify what number is on the meter on your house. The scenario you described sounds like someone input the wrong information on your home. You may end up paying the bill of another home on your street, and them paying yours, but it also sounds like the field rep found this and it should have been corrected. I'd still call and ask just to make sure. That was something that happened on occasion while the housing boom was taking place because everyone was in a rush.
Actually I know a little about it too. That is why the small claims bit. They are particularly compromised when the lady caught the guy and they insisted it was correct. Note that you can't use your lawyers in small claims court. I have done a half dozen of these over the last 20 years with pretty good results. How about 500 off a home warranty company - and over a bill for $80. I have had two go to trial. Won both but one was a drag. The SOB knew more about the system than I did.

As I said though a hobby project. You can however pretty much count on getting really good service from the utility after you sue them. They do keep track.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:19 AM

560 posts, read 2,106,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I'm worried about 5Kings...i think next the cable goes out..
So that's one of the downsides of foreclosure mania and idiotic utility company employees.
Oh no!!! I didn't even think about my cable I did get my power back last night at exactly 8:30 PM!!! I missed the first 3 on AI!!! That alone is worth a law suit. I am calling the water dept. this AM to make sure they aren't planning on paying us a visit. I probably won't sue, although it sounds like fun, I just don't have the time to go through all that. I do plan on writing a "just the facts" letter to the regulatory committee but I won't be holding my breath. The most frustrating part of this whole thing for me was actually catching the Nevada Power guy in my driveway and he was still told to cut the power. Thanks for all the responses!! They have made me smile in the middle of being extremely pi**ed off

Old 03-19-2008, 08:34 AM

12,883 posts, read 26,403,095 times
ack, there were no tenants and i am not a tenant

Old 03-21-2008, 04:54 PM

6 posts, read 9,997 times
What on earth is a dohickey?! Help! I'm English and about to move to Vegas.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:16 PM

15,370 posts, read 37,486,457 times
A dohickey looks remarkably like a whatchamaycallit but is slightly smaller....it is NOT[as is commonly believed] remotely like a thingamajig.....

hope that clears it up...

Old 03-21-2008, 05:42 PM

10,445 posts, read 48,010,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Want to have a little fun? Go after them. They are for instance required to give you ten days notice before they interrupt service.

I would figure out how many hours were consumed in the activities to get power back on then go down and demand a credit of $50 an hour for the time spent. I would also file a complaint with the PUC requesting the same sum.

If they don't buy it right away I would keep a record of the time spent and continue to increase the amount involved. Keep detail records. Go to the public utilities commission site for some views on all this.

The first thing you do is go to the office and demand the credit for the time you have spent. When turned down demand a supervisor. They are required to provide one. Explain what has happened and what you want. They won't give it to you but they will likely provide you with forms to make a claim. Keep track of all your time.

You get the idea...

In the end game take them to small claims court. Bet the bill is upward of 3,000 by then. Interestingly enough I bet they settle at that point. If not you go a good shot at winning at least partially. They suffer from dirty hands..they violated the law when they turned you off without proper notification. So you are pretty much entitled to damages.

Note that this is a hobby project. In the end you won't make 20 an hour. But it is interesting and you will meet lots of people.
Hey why not? It just might work. We all remember the story last year of the man who sued his Doctor for making him wait more then 2 hours for his appt.? He sued the Doctor for his valuble time lost and won !!!

Caulk one up for the little guy.

Revenge against a public utility is sweet !!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas