U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 08:52 AM

16,485 posts, read 20,022,997 times

Advertisements

Given how the AEC, back in the 50's, lied, telling everyone not to worry, it was all safe, do you really think anything has changed since then, as far as trusting Government officials with the truth, given Man is ice to truth, fire to falsehoods?

Lawsuits against the Government by Utah are ongoing to this day, can't recall just how many millions the Gov't has bestowed on Utah over the years.

I recently read, that if you die of leukemia in St. George, even today, the surviving family is entitled to $50,000 in damages.

I'd more worry about the timing of the inevitable Nuclear Holocaust! I hope I'm not around for the Last Greatest Show On Earth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 10:51 AM

435 posts, read 326,510 times
Another Web site you may wish to view is the Community Environmental Monitoring Program: https://cemp.dri.edu/. You can look at a variety of stations which are actively monitoring for abnormalities in radiation. They also post quarterly reports which measure the levels of various radioactive particles although it looks like the last quarterly report if from Q3 2016.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:40 PM

6 posts, read 3,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Most of the fallout from the old test site went North to Utah. Those are the people who were exposed, other than the folks that actually worked there. The food and water here is quite safe. Cross that off your list of worries.

Ps. I've been here so long that I'm part of the dirt, not some recent transplant from out of state trying to be a cheerleader.
Most... as in 'not all of it'?..

Old 11-16-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Nothing scientific in my response here but I would me much more concerned about cancer in old industrial cities like Houston and Chicago for example. I met more cancer patients in my first 6 months of working in the west Houston suburbs than I have met since 1998 here...no lie and not at all an exaggeration.

I'm a bit of an arm chair environmentalist and while I have no belief that the test site is this completely benign pristine area and no amount of money could get me to work there I don't see any noticable impact from it either. Trust me when I say I tend to run on the alarmist side of these issues in general. I believe when environmental issues at hand one needs to look at the big picture. We don't have the massive volume of industrial and agricultural runoff that actively burdens many other American cities.
Doesn't the Fed Govt suppress alot of activism that is considers 'far left', such as environmentalism?

Old 11-16-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
The last weapons testing in NV was back in 1962. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevada_Test_Site

It's been 55 years, enough time that if we were going to suffer dire effects here, we would know it by now. And as NLVgal said, most of the fallout went north and east of the Las Vegas valley.
Makes me wonder where the rest went?

Old 11-16-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Given how the AEC, back in the 50's, lied, telling everyone not to worry, it was all safe, do you really think anything has changed since then, as far as trusting Government officials with the truth, given Man is ice to truth, fire to falsehoods?
I don't trust any govt information, especially where health, environment and similar topics are concerned.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
Another Web site you may wish to view is the Community Environmental Monitoring Program: https://cemp.dri.edu/. You can look at a variety of stations which are actively monitoring for abnormalities in radiation. They also post quarterly reports which measure the levels of various radioactive particles although it looks like the last quarterly report if from Q3 2016.
Thanks! I read the introduction statement on the last report yet I don't know how to interpret the data as the slate doesn't give any indications of risk/no-risk parameters. I'd like to know what would be concidered safe enough with that regard. I mean, seriously, nuclear weapons are nothing to laugh about, I do not at all take this lightly you see? I wholeheartedly and categorically oppose nuclear weapons, nuclear energy etc. This stuff makes me shiver.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:50 PM

415 posts, read 196,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroXpat View Post
Thanks! I read the introduction statement on the last report yet I don't know how to interpret the data as the slate doesn't give any indications of risk/no-risk parameters. I'd like to know what would be concidered safe enough with that regard. I mean, seriously, nuclear weapons are nothing to laugh about, I do not at all take this lightly you see? I wholeheartedly and categorically oppose nuclear weapons, nuclear energy etc. This stuff makes me shiver.
Maybe you should stay in Europe if you are this worried?

Old 11-16-2017, 06:19 PM

10,753 posts, read 3,759,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroXpat View Post
Las Vegas and NV have no nuclear power plants and are unlikely to have any in the future. The Nevada Test Site is basically polluted forever or at least until some technology is invented to process immense amounts of radioactive material. The pollution however is below ground and areas likely to get into the environment are being processed to prevent major problems. Still issues with the aquifers but they the problem will likely be that the State could use the nearby water but can't pump it for fear of sucking water from under the test site.

There may well be other attempts to restart Yucca Mountain but NV has been good at heading them off and likely will be again. Could happen but not likely and if it did still some decades out.

There were a couple of minor incidences of radioactive fall out in LV but probably no worse than any city in the world. I expect those down wind of Chernobyl got it far worse than LV ever did. Fallout from the test site primarily hit Iron County Utah and further east. One of the saddest hours for US transparency in government and deliberate denying of Constitutional Rights by the Federal Courts. One of the instances that show we are no where near as honest and Constitutional as we claim. Under the right pressure even the courts go dark.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:58 PM

26,911 posts, read 38,161,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisoccer99 View Post
Maybe you should stay in Europe if you are this worried?
My thought as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas