U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-15-2017, 02:27 PM
 
38 posts, read 57,240 times
Reputation: 23

Advertisements

The proper way to install pavers says to dig down about six inches and put down a foundation of rock and sand. I was wondering since the ground here is so hard is all that really necessary? Has anyone laid pavers directly on the ground and what was the result?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2017, 02:45 PM
 
206 posts, read 129,497 times
Reputation: 306
I just had a new patio made of pavers installed. The rock and sand mixture is called 'chat'. It looks more like white powder than rock. My guys did toss down chat, although not 6 inches worth. They didn't dig into the ground either. They smoothed out the dirt, sprinkled probably one inch of chat over the entire area and then they flattened the chat with a large metal tool. The pavers were laid on top of the chat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 09:54 PM
 
4 posts, read 3,076 times
Reputation: 12
Any suggestions for local companies or options for installing pavers as well as what to expect for pricing? I have a 100 sq ft are in my backyard that I need completed and I am afraid to ask just anyone to do it because I don't want them to be unlevel or improperly installed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 07:09 AM
 
794 posts, read 464,222 times
Reputation: 869
Most landscape contractors can do it, as well as most masonry/concrete contractors. Seems like the going rate is about $4 sq/ft installed, but smaller jobs may get quoted a bit higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 11:01 AM
 
26,901 posts, read 38,152,457 times
Reputation: 34844
You do want to be careful. A fiend had his done front and back and the guy doing it was an idiot. Good references, lousy work. Friend ended up resetting all the pavers. I could have done a better job without and measuring tools, or eyesight for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 05:01 PM
 
26,901 posts, read 38,152,457 times
Reputation: 34844
Got it. Neighbor behind and below us had his done this week. About 3/4 of the back yard and the sidewalk next to the house. Looks really good. Really good. He said they were one of the cheapest and did excellent work. A great mix of different size/shape of pavers, and they "traced" the shape of the back of the house w/bays, and curved areas at the back. Serpentine walkway to the front. And fast. Three days and done.

They've done numerous jobs on our two streets and everyone is happy with their work.

Brazilian Pavers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 07:19 PM
 
Location: San Diego / NWA
963 posts, read 558,359 times
Reputation: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by eefran8 View Post
The proper way to install pavers says to dig down about six inches and put down a foundation of rock and sand. I was wondering since the ground here is so hard is all that really necessary? Has anyone laid pavers directly on the ground and what was the result?
If you are sitting on caliche it may not be necessary. I have had pavers installed at 2 different homes. Both times ground was excavated 7 inches below bottom of pavers. 6 inches of base material that was recycled concrete and gravel packed with vibrator, then 1 inch of sand that was screeded smooth, then pavers. Once pavers were set polymeric sand was spread and vibrated into grout lined, excess removed and watered to set sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
3,671 posts, read 7,981,805 times
Reputation: 2933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Got it. Neighbor behind and below us had his done this week. About 3/4 of the back yard and the sidewalk next to the house. Looks really good. Really good. He said they were one of the cheapest and did excellent work. A great mix of different size/shape of pavers, and they "traced" the shape of the back of the house w/bays, and curved areas at the back. Serpentine walkway to the front. And fast. Three days and done.
With pavers you don't know whether it's a good job until months or years later. They all look good right after they're installed. What matters is how they look next year and five years from now. That's when you'll find out whether the base preparation was sufficient for the soil conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2017, 10:13 AM
 
26,901 posts, read 38,152,457 times
Reputation: 34844
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
With pavers you don't know whether it's a good job until months or years later. They all look good right after they're installed. What matters is how they look next year and five years from now. That's when you'll find out whether the base preparation was sufficient for the soil conditions.
Good advice, but you have too start somewhere. I assume the OP will ask for references.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top