U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2017, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 498 times

Advertisements

I have been renting in same house in Vegas for 11 years. I have never steam cleaned the carpet but I do take off my shoes inside the house. The carpet is light tan color so it definitely shows its age and wear. Its not in the same condition as when I moved in 11 years ago and it will need to be replaced if they want to rent again.

What are my responsibilties when it comes to this carpet? Am I responsible to making it as clean and same condition as when i moved in? Are there any laws in Vegas that requires the LL to either replace or clean the carpets at certain intervals? If I leave the carpet as it is and dont clean it, will the landlord have the legal right to withhold my deposit and have it replaced with a new carpet or whatever they say will cost to clean to original condition (Impossible probably)?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 10:13 PM

1,534 posts, read 817,120 times
I cannot say about Los Vegas, however, it has been my experience that places will have a carpet life. This seems to usually be 5-6 years and the will prorate the price if a carpet needs to be replaced when you leave.

For instance, to keep it simple, lets say a carpet cost 1000 dollars and had a life of 5 years. You lived there for 3 years. If it was deemed the carpet had to be replaced you would owe 400 dollars.

I have also found out from personal experience that if they charge you and they are to replace the carpet, make sure they provide some proof that it was changed.

All of that would be in your lease of course.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:16 AM

9,317 posts, read 11,242,312 times
Judge Judy says a carpet has about a 5 year life and the landlord should replace the carpet and not expect the tenant to do so....

Old 11-19-2017, 06:21 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,388,601 times
I would ask them what their intent, get it in writing, before leaving. Hoping they will be reasonable and say, oh we will replace it on our dime.

While Judge Judy says something, you know LL will charge you for any little thing if possible. Knowing you don't have a lot of options available to you to get your money back.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:42 AM

1,945 posts, read 2,114,859 times
I would at least have it cleaned before leaving.

Personally, if I was a landlord and had a good tenant for 11 years, I would replace the carpet on my dime if needed.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:05 AM

754 posts, read 1,038,316 times
If you have one, check your lease, it very likely will spell out what the tenant is responsible for regarding cleaning the carpet upon leaving. I would also check with the landlord as they might be planning on replacing it anyway for a new tenant.

If you are required to clean the carpet don't try to do it yourself. No rug doctor from the grocery store. Doing it improperly can be worse than not doing it at all. Have it done professionally and many leases require that be done professionally and a receipt shown to the landlord. Get some bids from reputable cleaners if you have to clean.

Do you have pets? Did they pee on the carpet? If so you are going to have a problem. The stink is very hard to get out and you will likely have deductions for the pet damage assuming there was no smell when you moved in.

If your landlord decides to nitpick you and charges you an exorbitant amount for carpet damage you certainly would prevail in small claims court assuming it's normal wear and tear and not pet damage.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:06 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,199,022 times
I would have the carpet professionally cleaned after I moved out. I would tell the landlord I had it cleaned. Then if you don't get your deposit back, I would take him to Small Claims Court. You will win. You rented for 11 years and there is no way an 11 yo carpet should still be brand new.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:15 PM

1,827 posts, read 1,262,611 times
WOW 11 years????

You could have got the owner to put in new carpet many many years ago. You saved them thousands of dollars. If anything they should credit you some money (never going to happen obviously)

I would talk to the owner. You shouldn't even have to clean it since they will replace it. Always get things in writing.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:21 PM

4,293 posts, read 6,391,750 times
I would *NOT* have the carpet cleaned if the LL is going to replace it (almost certain, but get it in writing).

Old 11-19-2017, 01:48 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,713,147 times
11 years is too long to go without a good deep cleaning. New carpet should be good for about 2 years (unless you have kids or pet!) before a cleaning is needed....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or