U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 03:13 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,204,419 times

Advertisements

If you can work from anywhere Las Vegas is a great place to be. You will be fine.

Here's my logic on the subject. The vast majority of the jobs here are low pay customer service type work. People who do this work have to be paid just well enough to survive. If they can no longer survive, poof, the workforce will disappear and go elsewhere with better prospects for employment. So costs have to stay relatively low here. Housing is pretty high and so is electricity, but food is very cheap! Cars last longer here because we don't have winter driving conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,188 times
Many thanks for all the input. I've been stationed all over Europe and all over the USA. Originally from Taxachusetts, lived in Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Illinois and now Ohio.

The word in Las Vegas being low COL I would think comes from many You Tube videos of folks in Vegas who praise LV's COL.

I loved the roads, the mountains looking like razor sharp rocks and what I would guess to be a frontier attitude of those who live outside the city.

20 years running around the woods with a heavy mortar does not prepare one for a lucrative retirement so low COL factors into my desires as much as area preference.

Currently here in Ohio the taxes are murder. Currently paying about $1500 a month property tax.
I work in IT and the job is portable so that would be a plus.
But I don't want to work forever.
Thanks again.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:02 PM

447 posts, read 343,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberGhost View Post
Currently here in Ohio the taxes are murder. Currently paying about $1500 a month property tax.
Congrats on owning a million dollar home.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:39 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,389,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberGhost View Post

I work in IT and the job is portable so that would be a plus.
But I don't want to work forever.
Thanks again.
YIKES! Million dollar homes here don't pay that for 3 months.

Although we pay more than that a month for health insurance. $1650.00 One on medicare, mine is more than double his. Of course no kids.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:56 AM

3,316 posts, read 5,310,348 times
I'm not 100% a fan of COL calculators...they are good for a general comparison but little more imho.

I've lived in Texas and if you plan to own, property taxes are high in comparison...ridiculously high. My utilities there ran about 4x as much per sq ft as they do here as well. Probably a number of factors contributed to that (energy efficiency of homes ect) but still that is money out of your pocket.

I think if you were to buy a house either place it will end up being just about a wash it kind of just comes down to where your money goes...I'd personally rather pay more towards principal vrs taxes on a property. With that being said if motorcycling is really a big part of your life Texas is the better place for that...just amazed at the popularity of it in Tx.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:17 AM

9,952 posts, read 8,441,593 times
I think the thing with Vegas is that it has a low cost of living compared to other major metro areas with the same level of amenities. If you want absolute low cost of living, you can find lower than Vegas, but it's likely either going to be a depressed slum, in the middle of nowhere, or some combination.

Old 11-23-2017, 03:41 PM

429 posts, read 266,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
If you can work from anywhere Las Vegas is a great place to be. You will be fine.

Here's my logic on the subject. The vast majority of the jobs here are low pay customer service type work. People who do this work have to be paid just well enough to survive. If they can no longer survive, poof, the workforce will disappear and go elsewhere with better prospects for employment. So costs have to stay relatively low here. Housing is pretty high and so is electricity, but food is very cheap! Cars last longer here because we don't have winter driving conditions.
You just described Florida.
Nevada is Florida in the desert.

Old 11-23-2017, 04:49 PM

10,700 posts, read 3,742,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
You just described Florida.
Nevada is Florida in the desert.
Actually a little better than FL. And basically now fully recovered from the crash. FL has not. Median household income is up 5% over FL.

NV does not pay well. Does not pay badly either.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:26 AM

206 posts, read 129,189 times
My opinion is that having no state income tax does not cancel out a higher COL than the national average. Many employers will justify paying less because there is no state income tax. That basically cancels out the income tax perk. Further, if your making $35k a year you're essentially saving maybe $1000 a year in taxes that you would be paying in another state. Not exactly a life changer in savings. If you simply have a 'job' then Vegas isn't going to be any more financially beneficial than comparable cities. If you have a well paying career then Vegas can offer some financial benefits. Generally speaking, the more money you have & make, the more beneficial Vegas will be to your overall quality of life. Like someone mentioned above, the low COL reputation that Vegas has owned is less and less true as each year passes. My living expenses are virtually identical from when I was living in California the past decade.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:33 PM

11,575 posts, read 22,673,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Actually a little better than FL. And basically now fully recovered from the crash. FL has not. Median household income is up 5% over FL.

NV does not pay well. Does not pay badly either.
You can still steal a house in Florida, you can't here anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or