U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2017, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
202 posts, read 292,142 times
Reputation: 189

Advertisements

89121, between 2000 - 2500 (I'd rather not give the exact.)

Is the $1,675 rent they're asking for this place justified?
Nice neon look

DOM 28 - first month's carrying costs down the drain.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...67_rect/13_zm/
Our rental is older, but similar, and we don't have a pool. It has the same oven, only in avocado.

This place is a little nicer than our rental - 36 DOM.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...67_rect/13_zm/

It's all over with, anyway. My husband called (I couldn't, I was afraid of what I'd say) and agreed to the year extension at $1,650. After my mother passing away recently, I just feel too down to fight about it. I just want a normal Christmas for the first time in a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2017, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
202 posts, read 292,142 times
Reputation: 189
Default Blame the victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
there won't be month's of unoccupancy if the home is in a good area....a LL can paint and fix up in a day...house would be rented in less than a week

it all depends what you classify as bad shape..

if you were getting 2100sf for 1250 you had a bargain and should have thought to renew the lease earlier.
$1,475, not $1,250

I spoke to the agent repeatedly. Before, at the lease end, after. "Don't worry, don't worry." The end date passed in June and he's just settling this now, even though I kept telling him I wanted to know where we're at and if I should be looking.

He said that if we couldn't agree we had six whole weeks to find another place. He said he was helping me out by calling two weeks early after giving me agita for four and a half months. Would you want to move the week between Christmas and New Year's or on New Year's Day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2017, 09:05 AM
 
2,132 posts, read 2,193,440 times
Reputation: 1301
Difficult to give you exact figures as the year the houses have been built in that area are highly varied. If your house was built 1985 or newer then they can get $1675/month without too much hassle. Any house under 2200 sqft will be difficult to get for under $1500/month. Perhaps this is a bit late to say now since your husband has agreed to $1650/month but you could've asked for the rental rate to be locked for 2 years if you were willing to stay for that amount of time. Goodluck OP happy holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2017, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and Las Vegas, NV
5,089 posts, read 3,784,990 times
Reputation: 10081
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnyc View Post
$1,475, not $1,250

I spoke to the agent repeatedly. Before, at the lease end, after. "Don't worry, don't worry." The end date passed in June and he's just settling this now, even though I kept telling him I wanted to know where we're at and if I should be looking.

He said that if we couldn't agree we had six whole weeks to find another place. He said he was helping me out by calling two weeks early after giving me agita for four and a half months. Would you want to move the week between Christmas and New Year's or on New Year's Day?
I find that many tenants seem to prefer to move during the holidays because they have more time off work.

Since you are a landlord you must be aware that market always drives the rental amount and the greatest benefit tenants have is the ability to move without all the strings of home ownership. In my Landlord world, good tenants always get a very competitive to market renewal rate. But if the market is going up, so does the rent good tenant or not. Of course the opposite is true as well. Rental properties are investments with rewards and risks, because they are investments.

I understand that personal circumstances will always enter into any business involving people. My tenants becoming deathly ill, unemployed, divorced/break ups, family emergencies, etc. will often impact their ability to pay rent or their interest in continued residency. I factor all these things in my decision to be in this business. I factor in vacancies, repairs, catastrophic events. I understand that tenants will game me and try and calculate how much money I will lose if they threaten to move and I have to deal with a vacancy. And I have a pretty high tolerance for variables being in this business for the past 30 years. And, yes, I will raise the rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2017, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
202 posts, read 292,142 times
Reputation: 189
Default Built before 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Difficult to give you exact figures as the year the houses have been built in that area are highly varied. If your house was built 1985 or newer then they can get $1675/month without too much hassle. Any house under 2200 sqft will be difficult to get for under $1500/month. Perhaps this is a bit late to say now since your husband has agreed to $1650/month but you could've asked for the rental rate to be locked for 2 years if you were willing to stay for that amount of time. Goodluck OP happy holidays.
Built before 1970. I think he just wanted it settled after dealing with one crappy landlord after another since we moved here. To be fair, the first guy was a RE agent and very decent. All the others after...

It's greed. And they're planning on selling in a year so there won't be a further extension or maybe there will be some more play acting with another substantial increase. I'll almost kill myself cleaning and finishing small repairs. Then comes finding an excuse for the traditional "ripping us off for our deposit". Then we'll have to move between Christmas and New Year's next year.

Good luck and happy holidays to you too.

Last edited by lvnyc; 11-23-2017 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2017, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
202 posts, read 292,142 times
Reputation: 189
Default I was a landlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I find that many tenants seem to prefer to move during the holidays because they have more time off work.

Since you are a landlord you must be aware that market always drives the rental amount and the greatest benefit tenants have is the ability to move without all the strings of home ownership. In my Landlord world, good tenants always get a very competitive to market renewal rate. But if the market is going up, so does the rent good tenant or not. Of course the opposite is true as well. Rental properties are investments with rewards and risks, because they are investments.

I understand that personal circumstances will always enter into any business involving people. My tenants becoming deathly ill, unemployed, divorced/break ups, family emergencies, etc. will often impact their ability to pay rent or their interest in continued residency. I factor all these things in my decision to be in this business. I factor in vacancies, repairs, catastrophic events. I understand that tenants will game me and try and calculate how much money I will lose if they threaten to move and I have to deal with a vacancy. And I have a pretty high tolerance for variables being in this business for the past 30 years. And, yes, I will raise the rent.
I was a landlord. I am not one now. The tenants I had were fine. I didn't care for the business; I felt there was something sleazy about it.

Tenants realizing you will lose money with an unoccupied rental is not "gaming you." That is a risk you take when you do something, or not, that makes them leave. Some of those things you listed might might have happened to them - but, as you say, you will nevertheless raise the rent. My mother died in the living room. I'm sure if she were here you'd want an apology. I broke my arm due to a broken step from the garage into the house. I never mentioned it to the LL's agent.

I will leave this place cleaner than it was when we started living here. Everything will be left in good repair, or better, because I'm obviously an idiot with some pride. The LL will still find a reason to rip off my deposit for what is usually regarded as wear and tear, something you all are inevitably surprised and shocked by, even after the tenants' several years occupancy.

Naturally, I am exaggerating. At this point, you people are not my favorites, you have the smell of smug wafting around you, but you sound like a person who is fine with that.

It's greed.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2017, 05:06 PM
 
10,805 posts, read 3,768,270 times
Reputation: 4713
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnyc View Post
I was a landlord. I am not one now. The tenants I had were fine. I didn't care for the business; I felt there was something sleazy about it.

Tenants realizing you will lose money with an unoccupied rental is not "gaming you." That is a risk you take when you do something, or not, that makes them leave. Some of those things you listed might might have happened to them - but, as you say, you will nevertheless raise the rent. My mother died in the living room. I'm sure if she were here you'd want an apology. I broke my arm due to a broken step from the garage into the house. I never mentioned it to the LL's agent.

I will leave this place cleaner than it was when we started living here. Everything will be left in good repair, or better, because I'm obviously an idiot with some pride. The LL will still find a reason to rip off my deposit for what is usually regarded as wear and tear, something you all are inevitably surprised and shocked by, even after the tenants' several years occupancy.

Naturally, I am exaggerating. At this point, you people are not my favorites, you have the smell of smug wafting around you, but you sound like a person who is fine with that.

It's greed.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Just did the final walk through on a tenant in a little condo for 4 years. She got back her entire security deposit as she well should have. LL had no interest whatsoever in trying to keep any. In fact I went to the walkthrough with the check all made out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2017, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
202 posts, read 292,142 times
Reputation: 189
Default Wow

Oh, she was the one that got her deposit back. I heard about that. Surprised it didn't go viral.

(Sorry mensch, just joking and no knock on you; I couldn't resist.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2017, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and Las Vegas, NV
5,089 posts, read 3,784,990 times
Reputation: 10081
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnyc View Post
I was a landlord. I am not one now. The tenants I had were fine. I didn't care for the business; I felt there was something sleazy about it.

Tenants realizing you will lose money with an unoccupied rental is not "gaming you." That is a risk you take when you do something, or not, that makes them leave. Some of those things you listed might might have happened to them - but, as you say, you will nevertheless raise the rent. My mother died in the living room. I'm sure if she were here you'd want an apology. I broke my arm due to a broken step from the garage into the house. I never mentioned it to the LL's agent.

I will leave this place cleaner than it was when we started living here. Everything will be left in good repair, or better, because I'm obviously an idiot with some pride. The LL will still find a reason to rip off my deposit for what is usually regarded as wear and tear, something you all are inevitably surprised and shocked by, even after the tenants' several years occupancy.

Naturally, I am exaggerating. At this point, you people are not my favorites, you have the smell of smug wafting around you, but you sound like a person who is fine with that.

It's greed.

Happy Thanksgiving.
I don’t agree there’s anything sleezy about being an ethical Landlord — as I am. When the market is low, my rents have been very low. And my good renewal tenants are always paying about 10% below market.

And with very few exceptions, I have refunded full deposits at move out. I have had two move outs this year where I kept some deposit money. The last tenants failed to give 30 days’ notice (on a month to month lease) and didn’t return the garage door opener controls. They didn’t clean the carpets, either, on a 2400 sq ft house as is required if they have pets. So I did withhold $250. I paid $80 for new gdo controls as Home Depot and $200 to have the carpets commerically cleaned. Plus the house lost 2 weeks of rental income because of improper notice. But divorces do happen and that’s kind of what sometimes happens in this business....and no, I didn’t fine them for not giving required notice.

The second, not full refund, left a broken window. Yep, I did keep back the cost of fixing the window. It would have been really nice if they had arranged for that repair themselves but oh well.

I don’t call that greedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2017, 10:49 AM
 
13,482 posts, read 9,615,257 times
Reputation: 17435
There are several ethical landlords that haunt this board. I know one of them quite well. I'm a renter now, for the first time in over 20 years. My security deposit was quite low, but they added a non-refundable cleaning fee of $300. I don't think I will worry too much about my security deposit. They will likely keep it because I'm going to paint my ugly kitchen cabinets white, with good paint and a nice laquer. I will also install nice new hardware.

It's probably a violation. And I don't care. It's an improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top