U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 03:16 PM

391 posts, read 1,285,408 times

Advertisements

Do you really need to check your shoes?

Also, forgive my stupidity, but can they make it up to the second floor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 03:18 PM

1,354 posts, read 2,877,652 times
Yep, they can crawl up the walls, and yes the shoes, because they are dark, and usually by the door.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:08 PM

19,697 posts, read 51,376,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkGrisowld View Post
Do you really need to check your shoes?

Also, forgive my stupidity, but can they make it up to the second floor?
Yes, check your shoes, your bed, your bath towels, etc. Anything left on the floor makes a prime hiding spot for a wandering scorpion.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:11 PM

19,697 posts, read 51,376,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
Yes steve-o, I found one waiting for me one night when I went to open the pantry cupboard. We dont have handles on them, so I always put my fingers at the top of the door to pull it open. Just as I went to grab the door, I looked and jumped back! That one was about the size of the one in your pic. The other time I saw a large one like that, we were sitting on the back patio and he was heading our direction. The rest have always been the smaller ones.
What you saw was a Hadrurus spadix, whats in my picture. Theyre harmless, big babies. Theyre quick to rear up their tails (metasoma), but hardly ever strike unless very agitated. Even then their stings are no worse than a bee's. Very impressive creatures. Leave em around, they LOVE to eat cockroaches.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,405 times
eeks, these things just creep me out. What about little doggies, is this a fatal type thing if they get stung. I saw earlier posts that mentioned there tends to be hot spots.
As we're reseaching the areas we want to relocate to , so far Summerlin or NW, Does anyone know if a person could contact the local pest services and see if any cases have been reported in a specific neighborhood

Old 03-28-2008, 07:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 21,148,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfish View Post
eeks, these things just creep me out. What about little doggies, is this a fatal type thing if they get stung. I saw earlier posts that mentioned there tends to be hot spots.
As we're reseaching the areas we want to relocate to , so far Summerlin or NW, Does anyone know if a person could contact the local pest services and see if any cases have been reported in a specific neighborhood
It is much narrower than that. You get them over a 100 yard radius or so. Not over a whole neighborhood.

And I think you can mostly wipe them out with a black light attack and an area clean up. Dust their nest areas and cut them all down. Get it to few enough and they will likely die out.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfish View Post
They are all over, not just one neighborhood. I have been in the industry for almost 10 years, and have had calls all around town. Use to be Summerlin, when they first built it. Most of them came on the palm trees. Like Olecapt said, use the black light they grow a bright green. If you are buying a house here, we do Scorpion Inspections, which will let you know if there is a problem in the house and around the house.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:15 PM

3 posts, read 10,989 times
Default Scorps

Yeah these things have bugged me since i got here, i go every night with a black light and a special pair of 12 inch forceps with a glow in the dark tip. I really don't mind them being outside, but yesterday i almost stepped on one in my bedroom, man it freaks me out, i even keep a spreadsheet of how many i catch a day. I put them in a jar and freeze them, since I'm too much of a wuss to step on them. I may call in a pro soon if my efforts don't put i dent in the population 1st.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:44 PM

15,378 posts, read 23,337,359 times
call bug bully....she has a pair of 5" CFM heels with the roachstomper toes fer gettin em in the corners

Old 04-07-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
call bug bully....she has a pair of 5" CFM heels with the roachstomper toes fer gettin em in the corners
LOL Funny!!! Do have some stripper shoes, but don't work to well on the scorpions!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas