Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 08:17 AM

60 posts, read 67,530 times

Advertisements

I've searched the first few pages and haven't really seen anything about family friendly areas. I currently live in Utah, but I am from Southern California and my husband is from Northern California. We have been wanting out of Utah for years. We don't like the altitude, weather, culture, or the pollution. Personally, I have had my heart set on Austin, TX because the humidity sounds like a dream. My husband is trying to convince me that Vegas is better because housing is cheaper, proximity to family and friends in Southern California, proximity to family in Northern and Southern Utah, and most importantly...NO SNOW. These are all great points, but I worry about the culture. I have 4 children, ages 2 to 15. One goes to online school and both me and my husband work from home, so being homebodies makes me think the "Sin City" things that concern me would be a non-issue. I've spent a lot of time in Vegas at all different times of the year, but mostly on the strip so I have no idea what the suburbs are like. We'd be renting, looking for 4+ bedrooms under 2k, preferrably around $1500-1700. What areas should I be looking in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 11:00 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,310,305 times
Las Vegas suburbs are basically the same as S. CA.

To find housing go by the High school districts. You can pick up the better ones by comparing the scores on the CCSD web site. Start at CCSD.net/schools and go the accountability reports. You do not have to send your kids to those schools...merely a simply way to find the better schools.
You can likely find a suitable rental in the NW, SW and the original Green Valley in Henderson.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:41 PM

This is really helpful, thank you. I had been looking in the west side of the valley but was unsure about where in Henderson so I will check out Green Valley.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:53 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,103,231 times
I live here with my kids and it's pretty great. That said, the schools here are absolutely terrible. Ranked dead last.
A lot of people will argue with that, but I suspect they went to Las Vegas schools and don't know any better.

The schools here are absolutely terrible. Everything else about Vegas is great.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:08 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,310,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I live here with my kids and it's pretty great. That said, the schools here are absolutely terrible. Ranked dead last.
A lot of people will argue with that, but I suspect they went to Las Vegas schools and don't know any better.

Long way from dead last. Better than Los Angeles, New York City or Chicago. Don't get fooled by State numbers. That is a statistical quirk because the State of Nevada is actually one big city and one small city and not much else. So you basically end up comparing a large city with a high minority population to the much more varied states. And the top ten high schools and the magnets are fine.

If we cut the good suburban areas from CCSD they would look fine.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:59 PM

Utah schools aren't that great either, and we are dead last for spending per student. My experience with public schools here has been fine for the most part because we have lived in the nicer parts of the valley. I imagine we'd have a similar experience in the areas we want to move in Vegas.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:01 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,511,797 times
Kids whose parents love them enough to say 'NO,' when its needed will turn out well no matter where they live.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:20 PM

247 posts, read 253,469 times
Quote:

My kid went to one of these "terrible" schools" and graduated with honors and just did 2 years at CSN and finished with a 3.75 and will apply for UNLV nursing school with 97 out of 100 possible points to get in. So if your kid wants to learn they will and if they don't want to learn them..........

Old 01-21-2018, 06:31 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,103,231 times
Another cog in the wheel...impressive.

Getting into college doesn't impress me any.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0dc592a09abc2

Last edited by EA; 01-21-2018 at 06:41 PM..

Old 01-21-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Another cog in the wheel...impressive.

Getting into college doesn't impress me any.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0dc592a09abc2

^^Utah State University...told you our schools aren't that great! lol
Seriously though, I have a 9th grader who takes math and biology at the high school; I don't think anything is going to stand in her way of learning. On the other hand, I have a 7th grader who hates school but does it online and still struggles. It's really an individual thing. Aside from their success or lack thereof in school, they are taught right from wrong and are very good kids. I just want to make sure I move to an area with other kids that has a low crime rate. Maybe some sort of town center nearby with a movie theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas