Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 02:15 PM

307 posts, read 267,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Where'd you come from that was so full of culture and community?
Most people come from somewhere that has been dealt a far greater chance at having culture and community than this place. Nobody ever moved to Nevada for culture and nobody ever will. Las Vegas is not from culture, nor does it wish for it. When spoken of as being a 'small town', Las Vegas is referred to in the wild west sense, not in the sense of a modern small community. If you get extremely lucky in a rare draw, your neighbor just might be a third world cab driver from Ethiopia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 03:15 PM

864 posts, read 1,715,597 times
I think you need to be more specific in what you mean by culture. Every place has a culture. Las Vegas just doesn't have a snooty culture of the east and west coasts.

I'm looking for more of the "leave me the hell alone" culture. Has Las Vegas abandoned that yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post
Most people come from somewhere that has been dealt a far greater chance at having culture and community than this place. Nobody ever moved to Nevada for culture and nobody ever will. Las Vegas is not from culture, nor does it wish for it. When spoken of as being a 'small town', Las Vegas is referred to in the wild west sense, not in the sense of a modern small community. If you get extremely lucky in a rare draw, your neighbor just might be a third world cab driver from Ethiopia.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:18 PM

496 posts, read 364,776 times
Quote:
I'm very lucky to have an Ethiopian cab driver as a neighbor. Excellent people with respect for others as well as themselves, something almost non existent in Las Vegas.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,590,355 times
Are lucky enough to get invited for dinner?

Old 02-06-2018, 12:48 AM

496 posts, read 364,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Are lucky enough to get invited for dinner?
Yeah, but I respectfully declined.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:10 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,590,355 times
Where we lived before coming here we had a food fair every fall where they shut down some streets and people set up booths where you could try samples of their cuisine. There were people there from all over the world. One of my favorite stops was always the Ethiopian booth.

Good food!!

Old 02-06-2018, 02:38 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,507,523 times
^^^ We have food fairs here. Often. Smith Center brings in broadway shows. The strip is full of entertainment, which we enjoy almost weekly. And the food. Best in the world as all great chefs build restaurants here.

My neighbors are doctors, former hedge fund owners, production company owners. Retired Pro athletes, retired higher ups from city governments, strip entertainers, sucessful business owners, retired heads of departments at universities, writers, etc.

Quebon - we get the picture. Your life sucks here. Have you thought about moving to find this utopia you think is 'out there.'

Old 02-06-2018, 04:50 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,826,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Where is the proof that damn liberals running cities run up housing costs.
Well, for start

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...rdable/382045/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c1e4fb82f47b

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2017/...-build/543399/

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/year-h...ities-anymore/

Old 02-06-2018, 08:57 PM

307 posts, read 267,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
^^^ We have food fairs here. Often. Smith Center brings in broadway shows. The strip is full of entertainment, which we enjoy almost weekly. And the food. Best in the world as all great chefs build restaurants here.

My neighbors are doctors, former hedge fund owners, production company owners. Retired Pro athletes, retired higher ups from city governments, strip entertainers, sucessful business owners, retired heads of departments at universities, writers, etc.

Quebon - we get the picture. Your life sucks here. Have you thought about moving to find this utopia you think is 'out there.'
Something tells me this is a trap; an attempt to get me to explode so I can get banned.

Anyway, trap or not, this type of ignorance being spewed accrues for near total misrepresentation of what the city actually is representative of and catering to.

1) Your neighbors are doctors, ok; of course, there are 'doctors'. Tell me, what does Las Vegas has to offer to the medical industry moving forward and how will it size up to stop ping the doctors bypass straight to Arizona?

2) One of my neighbors is a former hedge fund manager. Do you actually believe that this type of person is of high quality? Well, you know what he is now? President of our HOA board who likes to control, flaunt, control, flaunt. These type of people are the worst of the worst to have as neighbors, any financial like that requires a cunning, shrewd personality which in my books, translates to relatively a low quality person to have as a neighbor.

3) I often see Andre Agassi walking his dog in my community. Living around someone famous does not cause fairy dust to rain down and magically change an area for the better. He is a normal person living his life, and none of us that live amongst him are affected by his residence in our community one iota.

4) What does successful mean to you, or anyone else? Owning a plumbing company might be all one could ever want, whereas inheriting one could be a person's worst nightmare. Most of the highly successful people that own never live in Las Vegas full time, or even part time for that matter. The higher you go, actually, the less time usually spent in Las Vegas. Some of the upper folks can (and do) plop down 4+ million on a pad just to host a single lavish party there once a year. Do you actually think that most millionaire and billionaire execs pursue nothing but to spend their time here all year long?

5) Broadway New York is the 'only' Broadway, alright? What's in a name, heh.

6) Bobby flay is not grilling your burger. World famous chefs open up restaurants in Las Vegas because they can utilize the medium to suck in giant piles of cash from unsuspecting tourists who only go there knowing they will lose all their money anyway. These restaurants do not represent high quality food; they only represent capitalism it all its blazing glory.

High quality food and restaurants begin at a community supported and agricultural level, and there is no such thing as that in Las Vegas, it is not designed for that anyway. On top of that hurdle you have the aspect I just mentioned of the place being an attraction, not a way of life. Emeril is not flying in small batch products from other states to distribute to the masses; its just not feasible, logical or even possible. People that go to those famous restaurants know that they are getting shanked deep down, too, but they don't care, its just $100 out of their life. Now add that up and bingo, Bobby!

7) foundapeanut - I ended up here to start a business for tax purposes and as I achieved success it became ever more clear it was to only be used as a stepping stone to greater things and my exit strategy got delayed a bit. This country has its secret gems that nobody here will never follow or find. I know exactly what I want and I'm about to get it, then I won't be back on this forum. Do you think I come one here to complain about this place because I'm lost and angry? No. I've tried to express my experiences to give others a more realist perspective based on all the things I have found to be so off-putting here as I live here, since so many people come on this forum and get constantly lied to about how it is all unicorns and rainbows.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:04 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,931,486 times
Quote:
Something tells me this is a trap; an attempt to get me to explode so I can get banned.

Anyway, trap or not, this type of ignorance being spewed accrues for near total misrepresentation of what the city actually is representative of and catering to.

1) Your neighbors are doctors, ok; of course, there are 'doctors'. Tell me, what does Las Vegas has to offer to the medical industry moving forward and how will it size up to stop ping the doctors bypass straight to Arizona?

2) One of my neighbors is a former hedge fund manager. Do you actually believe that this type of person is of high quality? Well, you know what he is now? President of our HOA board who likes to control, flaunt, control, flaunt. These type of people are the worst of the worst to have as neighbors, any financial like that requires a cunning, shrewd personality which in my books, translates to relatively a low quality person to have as a neighbor.

3) I often see Andre Agassi walking his dog in my community. Living around someone famous does not cause fairy dust to rain down and magically change an area for the better. He is a normal person living his life, and none of us that live amongst him are affected by his residence in our community one iota.

4) What does successful mean to you, or anyone else? Owning a plumbing company might be all one could ever want, whereas inheriting one could be a person's worst nightmare. Most of the highly successful people that own never live in Las Vegas full time, or even part time for that matter. The higher you go, actually, the less time usually spent in Las Vegas. Some of the upper folks can (and do) plop down 4+ million on a pad just to host a single lavish party there once a year. Do you actually think that most millionaire and billionaire execs pursue nothing but to spend their time here all year long?

5) Broadway New York is the 'only' Broadway, alright? What's in a name, heh.

6) Bobby flay is not grilling your burger. World famous chefs open up restaurants in Las Vegas because they can utilize the medium to suck in giant piles of cash from unsuspecting tourists who only go there knowing they will lose all their money anyway. These restaurants do not represent high quality food; they only represent capitalism it all its blazing glory.

High quality food and restaurants begin at a community supported and agricultural level, and there is no such thing as that in Las Vegas, it is not designed for that anyway. On top of that hurdle you have the aspect I just mentioned of the place being an attraction, not a way of life. Emeril is not flying in small batch products from other states to distribute to the masses; its just not feasible, logical or even possible. People that go to those famous restaurants know that they are getting shanked deep down, too, but they don't care, its just $100 out of their life. Now add that up and bingo, Bobby!

7) foundapeanut - I ended up here to start a business for tax purposes and as I achieved success it became ever more clear it was to only be used as a stepping stone to greater things and my exit strategy got delayed a bit. This country has its secret gems that nobody here will never follow or find. I know exactly what I want and I'm about to get it, then I won't be back on this forum. Do you think I come one here to complain about this place because I'm lost and angry? No. I've tried to express my experiences to give others a more realist perspective based on all the things I have found to be so off-putting here as I live here, since so many people come on this forum and get constantly lied to about how it is all unicorns and rainbows.

You are so wrong, it’s not even worth explaining it to you. Good luck finding utopia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas