Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:54 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman View Post
Seriously - I'm soo confused now if moving my family out to Green Valley or Summerlin is a good idea. You hear soo many different opinions on the areas - this is kindof scary!!! I have read all the reports on the schools and some seem bad - other great. But you get that in any STATE you live in.

Hmmmmm..............this is a hard decision. Obviously I don't want to bring my children to a place where I have to fear them walking around the neighborhood, going to school etc. We are coming out there in July to spend a couple days in Green Valley and a couple days in Summerlin. So we can walk the neighborhoods - streets and see exactly what it's like.

I hope some of your reviews prove to be wrong and we fall in love with the area. After all living in Syracuse, New York (SNOW WORLD) is a bummer. We only get 2-3 months of nice weather and seeing the sun from October - April is slim to none!!! So we want out and we are hoping Nevada is the place to go!!
I agree with you and the only choice, at this point, that I have is that my husband goes there and I stay here. That stinks too, so...I would make sure that when you are looking at the schools you compare them to yours. Like I posted earlier, the schools my daughter attends here are rated in the 7/8 level. There are many in Vegas that are too. And some that I thought would be a lot higher here are not.

As far as safety, I am also very nervous about that too. Coming from a Detroit suburb, I hear about crime all the time but I do not see it. I am hoping it is like that, but I have been reading alot about breakins. Not something I worry about where I am at. My main concern is my daughter, so if it is not conducive for her there than I will stay here. She will be in 9th grade. We were originally hoping not to go until she graduated but the opportunity is now. Husband will be working on the City Center Project out there.

I am still confused as where to go, but we will be going out in May to look around and get a feel of it. I know it is not the same as actually living there but, what else can you do? You can drive yourself insane with stats.

Hang in there and try not to fret too much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 01:59 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,847,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman View Post
Seriously - I'm soo confused now if moving my family out to Green Valley or Summerlin is a good idea. You hear soo many different opinions on the areas - this is kindof scary!!! I have read all the reports on the schools and some seem bad - other great. But you get that in any STATE you live in.

Hmmmmm..............this is a hard decision. Obviously I don't want to bring my children to a place where I have to fear them walking around the neighborhood, going to school etc. We are coming out there in July to spend a couple days in Green Valley and a couple days in Summerlin. So we can walk the neighborhoods - streets and see exactly what it's like.

I hope some of your reviews prove to be wrong and we fall in love with the area. After all living in Syracuse, New York (SNOW WORLD) is a bummer. We only get 2-3 months of nice weather and seeing the sun from October - April is slim to none!!! So we want out and we are hoping Nevada is the place to go!!

Please pay NiaAmbrose no mind. Overly dramatic and certainly over simplified. Just like any other city, Las Vegas has it's share of crime. However, the tip-off is that when someone says "I don't feel safe in any part of the valley!". It then becomes painfully obvious that they are either extremely paranoid, completely full of it, or a little of both. Beware of anyone that is willing to generalize an entire city. I'm originally from San Diego, and as such I can't stand LA. But even though I absolutely hate that city, I will concede that it is not all bad, and many of the conceptions about Los Angeles are over-hyped media half truths or complete lies. Dramatic license on the evening news, if you will.

Summerlin is very nice, as are most parts of Henderson. There are also many neighborhoods in between that are safe, secure, and very family friendly.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:37 PM

560 posts, read 2,187,919 times
For those of you coming from MI I can tell you that the crime here is NOTHING compared to what you are used to hearing on the news there. We moved to Las Vegas from a fairly small town in MI and have had little to no problems with violent crime. We did have our vehicle stolen out of our driveway which was not fun but really, looking back, it was sort of a blessing in disguiese. It was a Ford Expedition and a bigtime gas guzzler

As I said before, we live in Aliante and I let my children ride their bikes on the trails and go to the dinosaur park and library together. They take their cell phones and stick with each other.

You are always going to get the negative people on here who think the whole world is full of nothing but gloom and doom. You have to balance that out and realize that nowhere is perfect but some places are better than others. Our reasons for moving here were economic and both my husbands and my incomes increased tremendously by moving here. I don't know how I would have felt if I was facing a move that was 2000 miles away from home that I wasn't in control of. At least with your husband being transfered for work you know that he has a job

In my opinion the most important thing is that your family sticks together. You and your daughter staying behind in MI will put a strain on your family. Especially later, once your daughter starts high school, you won't want to pull her out then either.

My kids didn't want to move here at first either, but they have made very close friends and consider Las Vegas their home. We have visited MI several times since moving and they always mention how much they miss the mountains when we are gone.

You really will be fine, and I think that when you visit you will be able to reassure yourself that you can make this work for you and your family.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:37 PM

46 posts, read 194,396 times
You people need to seriously get a grip. It's not like your contemplating a move to Honduras or something. Las Vegas is still in the USA and we do have laws and police, duhhh. We aren't a third world country. I don't understand all the fear you people get when faced with moving to Las Vegas. We have schools, some suck some don't. If you live where they suck then homeschool or fork out the dough for private. Lock your doors, get an alarm, carry pepper spray or a gun. We are a ccw state. The truth is, kids are raised here everyday, some do great some don't. You can't blame it all on this town, you have to go to the parents. Are you a good parent? If yes, then your kids will be fine.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdude View Post
You people need to seriously get a grip. It's not like your contemplating a move to Honduras or something. Las Vegas is still in the USA and we do have laws and police, duhhh. We aren't a third world country. I don't understand all the fear you people get when faced with moving to Las Vegas. We have schools, some suck some don't. If you live where they suck then homeschool or fork out the dough for private. Lock your doors, get an alarm, carry pepper spray or a gun. We are a ccw state. The truth is, kids are raised here everyday, some do great some don't. You can't blame it all on this town, you have to go to the parents. Are you a good parent? If yes, then your kids will be fine.

That's the truth!!!! Sometimes when you are facing a big move, it can feel like you are moving to Honduras!! Thanks for bringing it back down to earth!! Also, I think you can get sucked into reading too much. Gets confusing! I know it will all be ok. It is only my own insecurities of leaving. I will be leaving 3 other kids here. Hopefully, they will defect with me!

Thanks for the reality check!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
For those of you coming from MI I can tell you that the crime here is NOTHING compared to what you are used to hearing on the news there. We moved to Las Vegas from a fairly small town in MI and have had little to no problems with violent crime. We did have our vehicle stolen out of our driveway which was not fun but really, looking back, it was sort of a blessing in disguiese. It was a Ford Expedition and a bigtime gas guzzler

As I said before, we live in Aliante and I let my children ride their bikes on the trails and go to the dinosaur park and library together. They take their cell phones and stick with each other.

You are always going to get the negative people on here who think the whole world is full of nothing but gloom and doom. You have to balance that out and realize that nowhere is perfect but some places are better than others. Our reasons for moving here were economic and both my husbands and my incomes increased tremendously by moving here. I don't know how I would have felt if I was facing a move that was 2000 miles away from home that I wasn't in control of. At least with your husband being transfered for work you know that he has a job

In my opinion the most important thing is that your family sticks together. You and your daughter staying behind in MI will put a strain on your family. Especially later, once your daughter starts high school, you won't want to pull her out then either.

My kids didn't want to move here at first either, but they have made very close friends and consider Las Vegas their home. We have visited MI several times since moving and they always mention how much they miss the mountains when we are gone.

You really will be fine, and I think that when you visit you will be able to reassure yourself that you can make this work for you and your family.

Thank you also for the reassurance. Cold feet, I guess. And always trying to do the best for my daughter. My husband is of the "oh, we will go there and it will all be fine". He is very spontaneous. Me--not so much.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:24 AM

3 posts, read 8,834 times
Default In the same boat and need some advice!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Thank you also for the reassurance. Cold feet, I guess. And always trying to do the best for my daughter. My husband is of the "oh, we will go there and it will all be fine". He is very spontaneous. Me--not so much.
I have to agree with you on getting cold feet. We currently live in Wisconsin (about 25 miles west of Milwaukee) and my husband just got a job offer in Vegas that would double his income and allow me to stay home with the kids. While it sounds like a great opportunity, I'm more of a pessimist. I was all for the move until I started reading these forums...there is so much negativity from a lot of peaple. Then I read a forum for where I currently live (which I think is a great city), and there was a ton of negative remarks about it as well. I guess doing a ton reading and research isn't always a good thing and you're always going to find people who hate where they currently live...regardless of where that may be.

I do, however, have a few questions about the area. I have a 6-year-old who has high-functioning autism...how is the special education program at the schools? I also have a 1-year-old who has been through multiple surgeries and will be needing others in the future. I saw that there is a children's hospital in Vegas, but does anyone know how the doctors/surgeons are there...does the hospital have a positive reputation?

As far as where to live, we are strongly considering Boulder City. It sounds like a nice, quiet area to live while stlil being close enough to the city.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:51 PM

7 posts, read 20,014 times
Find areas where the highest amount of Los Angeles transplants are moving to and then move to the opposite side of those areas and your kids will be safe.

They are bringing their LA lowlife, dope dealing, gang infested way of life to Vegas and the further away you are from them, the safer your children will be.

Not judging, just stating the facts.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:02 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,473,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJAM View Post
Find areas where the highest amount of Los Angeles transplants are moving to and then move to the opposite side of those areas and your kids will be safe.

They are bringing their LA lowlife, dope dealing, gang infested way of life to Vegas and the further away you are from them, the safer your children will be.

Then I suppose the poster should keep out of Las Vegas completely.... Most of the transplants here in LV are So Cali escapees....

Old 03-25-2008, 03:15 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,847,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJAM View Post

Which begs the question, where are you from?

FWIW, I'm from San Diego and can't stand LA, but blanket statements do anybody any good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas