Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 02:29 PM

799 posts, read 708,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickydim View Post
We have a good house antenna to a splitter box to distrbute to each room for TV and we share subscriptions (my son gets Sling, I get NHL.tv and Hulu) on our many Rokus. I use a magnovox DVR for OTA broadcast recording and pausing of live TV. I also use Ooma for my landline phone which gets 5 stars from me for reliability and clarity for $4.11 a month. I'm trying to get the most out of my internet bill.
Do you come close to cox's data cap watching video?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 02:43 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,709,719 times
Quote:
We have a good house antenna to a splitter box to distribute to each room for TV and we share subscriptions (my son gets Sling, I get NHL.tv and Hulu) on our many Rokus. I use a magnovox DVR for OTA broadcast recording and pausing of live TV. I also use Ooma for my landline phone which gets 5 stars from me for reliability and clarity for $4.11 a month. I'm trying to get the most out of my internet bill.
Many thanks for that info. It's time for me to get current and quit wasting money on TV.

The little bit or research I did says Roku Ultra is the winner. I'll figure out what we need for program content, DVR and an antennae. I'm pretty tech savvy, just haven't made the move.

We have Verizon for cell phones, but will change to the best deal/coverage. Don't need a land line, do we?

Old 02-19-2018, 10:03 PM

472 posts, read 378,200 times
I like the land line to give local business a 702 area code. Also the extra phone number is nice to give out for less wanted traffic on your cell. My cell area code is from long island.

My monthly internet is between 400-500gb for plenty of streaming, tabs, phones, some gaming and security which I run a ring camera and $3 mo service(highly recommended for any home)

Last edited by nickydim; 02-19-2018 at 10:12 PM..

Old 02-19-2018, 10:34 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,241 times
Quote:
I like the land line to give local business a 702 area code. Also the extra phone number is nice to give out for less wanted traffic on your cell.
Google Voice will assign you a 702 area code and you can have everything go to your cell or email. Free. When I was selling my house in TX (FSBO), I set up a separate GVoice number and email to keep all the RE business off my personal accounts. All my ads and listings traffic funneled to these and allowed me to screen everything--including the inevitable herds of agents trying to save me from myself. Nothing against Ooma or VOIP, just another alternative.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:34 AM

799 posts, read 708,242 times
Quote:
I like the land line to give local business a 702 area code. Also the extra phone number is nice to give out for less wanted traffic on your cell. My cell area code is from long island.

My monthly internet is between 400-500gb for plenty of streaming, tabs, phones, some gaming and security which I run a ring camera and $3 mo service(highly recommended for any home)
thanks...I may try and convice the wife to give that a shot. We've had directv since about 94, so some habits are hard to break. I was worried about how the streaming would affect the stupid data cap, but it may be something we can live with.

We also have the ooma service. We like it. We have a number for the wifes parents that is local to them, and I've got it set to forward to the wife's cell phone, so they can always get in touch with her, for no cost. And, when we moved, we didn't have to change our home number for our friends and family. And i pay an extra $4/month for a third, 702 number that i can give to local businesses. It generally works well, although sometimes there is some lag/echo on the line, but usually a re-dial will fix it. (it doesn't make sense as our bandwidth significantly exceeds the typical voice call requirement of about 64 kB.) I see no reason to have a landline any more.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:56 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,490 times
Roku Ultra is good for 4k HDR. Stunning with Netflix and OLED TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas