Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 03:17 PM

621 posts, read 538,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Such as?
Did you watch the game last night or the one against Minnesota a couple weeks ago? Speed-based skill teams tend to get dominated in the playoffs in the Western conference when the referees put their whistles away and let the bigger teams grind them down. It happens all the time and the Knights are the perfect example of a team who can do well in the regular season but will probably not make a long playoff run. This is assuming they don't do anything at the trade deadline to address their lack of size and grit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 04:13 PM

90 posts, read 84,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpypotpie View Post
Did you watch the game last night or the one against Minnesota a couple weeks ago? Speed-based skill teams tend to get dominated in the playoffs in the Western conference when the referees put their whistles away and let the bigger teams grind them down. It happens all the time and the Knights are the perfect example of a team who can do well in the regular season but will probably not make a long playoff run. This is assuming they don't do anything at the trade deadline to address their lack of size and grit.
And yet a speed-based skill team won the last two Stanley Cups (Pittsburgh) against those bigger Western conference teams. (And watch out, the Penguins have gone from looking tired in the 2017 portion of the season to firing on all cylinders lately.

I don't think the Knights will take it, just because it is hard to sustain momentum for so long. But they've been great fun to watch!

Old 02-20-2018, 04:18 PM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times
Chicago won three Stanley Cups from 2010 to 2015 so skill and speed does win Cups. Pittsburgh had won back to back Cups with skill and speed.

It would be nothing short of miraculous for the VGN to win the Stanley Cup but I do think they'll make a good run and go beyond the 1st round. I just don't see a lower seeded team beating them, especially if they have home ice advantage. At home they've been practically unbeatable and that won't change in the playoffs.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyChoices View Post
And yet a speed-based skill team won the last two Stanley Cups (Pittsburgh) against those bigger Western conference teams. (And watch out, the Penguins have gone from looking tired in the 2017 portion of the season to firing on all cylinders lately.

I don't think the Knights will take it, just because it is hard to sustain momentum for so long. But they've been great fun to watch!
The Knights don't have Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin. Not really a valid comparison.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Chicago won three Stanley Cups from 2010 to 2015 so skill and speed does win Cups. Pittsburgh had won back to back Cups with skill and speed.

It would be nothing short of miraculous for the VGN to win the Stanley Cup but I do think they'll make a good run and go beyond the 1st round. I just don't see a lower seeded team beating them, especially if they have home ice advantage. At home they've been practically unbeatable and that won't change in the playoffs.
It's already changing. They are only 6-4 in their last 10 games at home.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:31 AM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times
6-4 in their last 10 at home and you think the whole season is going down the drain? Are you rooting for them to lose just to prove yourself right?

Old 02-21-2018, 09:17 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpypotpie View Post
Yeah they should go out and get size and grit so they can do as well as the Oilers have getting character grit guys to go with the best player in the NHL.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
6-4 in their last 10 at home and you think the whole season is going down the drain? Are you rooting for them to lose just to prove yourself right?
No, I hope I'm wrong. I'd like to see them win the cup in their first year. It would be the best story in sports history. I've just been watching hockey over 30 years and I'm fairly certain they will not make it out of the Western conference. Things could change after Monday when the trade deadline rolls around. I'm curious to see what moves McPhee makes to bolster the team.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Yeah they should go out and get size and grit so they can do as well as the Oilers have getting character grit guys to go with the best player in the NHL.
Another terrible comparison. Does Vegas have a player that's even in the same breath as McDavid? Not even close. We will see what happens at the deadline. They could end up trading James Neal, who is their best playoff-built forward, in my opinion. Or they could keep him and take the chance he walks for nothing and add some pieces. I saw a piece this morning about them trying to get Erik Karlsson and Bobby Ryan from the Senators. If they did that I would really bump up their chances.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:00 PM

Getting Ryan Reaves from the Penguins today is a solid move. The guy is a very hard-nosed, gritty player who also has some speed and skill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: