Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 11:32 AM

23 posts, read 31,058 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any recs on preschools in either Summerlin or Henderson. Tuition is not too much of a concern but would like a well rounded school (arts and academics).

How about elementary schools? In Summerlin or in the Green Valley Ranch area? Private or public....TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 11:20 PM

57 posts, read 90,805 times
We take our son to Kiddie Academy in Henderson (near intersection of Eastern and Coronado). He has learned how to read among other skills he has picked up, so he will be well prepared to start kindergarten later this year. We teach him at home too, but I credit a lot of that to the preschool. We tried out other preschools around, but they were by far the best. They keep their facility very clean so our son isn't constantly coming home with bugs from the other kids. They are expensive, but you mentioned that isn't a factor for you. They have cameras you can access online and they provide reports for what they ate/learned etc. Only cons I can think of is that they are not very flexible on schedule changes and the parking lot is a little cramped. Overall, we have been very happy with them.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJUSN View Post
We take our son to Kiddie Academy in Henderson (near intersection of Eastern and Coronado). He has learned how to read among other skills he has picked up, so he will be well prepared to start kindergarten later this year. We teach him at home too, but I credit a lot of that to the preschool. We tried out other preschools around, but they were by far the best. They keep their facility very clean so our son isn't constantly coming home with bugs from the other kids. They are expensive, but you mentioned that isn't a factor for you. They have cameras you can access online and they provide reports for what they ate/learned etc. Only cons I can think of is that they are not very flexible on schedule changes and the parking lot is a little cramped. Overall, we have been very happy with them.

Thanks! Will look into it but it sounds similar to where we currently send one of our toddlers which is a good thing!

Old 03-14-2018, 09:13 AM

555 posts, read 770,498 times
the website to look up school accountability data is:
Data Interaction

Looking at the 3rd grade test scores (of the CRT exam which measures student performance against the Nevada established standard for that grade level) Goolsby Elementary Public School, which is located in Summerlin South , an affluent area.... the results are very impressive:
83.1% of the 3rd graders are proficient in Math, 88.5% are proficient in reading!

For comparison, Somerset Academy Charter School (3rd grade for all campuses because that is what is reported), which many consider an excellent charter school..... 64% of the tested kids were proficient in math, and 59.6% were proficient in reading.

For further comparison, the state average for 3rd grade CRT is about 50%.

Other good public elementary schools include:
Smalley ES (outskirts of Henderson)
Bendorf ES (by the Lakes)
McCaw ES (outskirts of Henderson)

If money isn't an option I would go with Meadows school. The BEST school in Las Vegas. Also, the most expensive.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FML157 View Post
the website to look up school accountability data is:
Data Interaction

Looking at the 3rd grade test scores (of the CRT exam which measures student performance against the Nevada established standard for that grade level) Goolsby Elementary Public School, which is located in Summerlin South , an affluent area.... the results are very impressive:
83.1% of the 3rd graders are proficient in Math, 88.5% are proficient in reading!

For comparison, Somerset Academy Charter School (3rd grade for all campuses because that is what is reported), which many consider an excellent charter school..... 64% of the tested kids were proficient in math, and 59.6% were proficient in reading.

For further comparison, the state average for 3rd grade CRT is about 50%.

Other good public elementary schools include:
Smalley ES (outskirts of Henderson)
Bendorf ES (by the Lakes)
McCaw ES (outskirts of Henderson)

If money isn't an option I would go with Meadows school. The BEST school in Las Vegas. Also, the most expensive.

^ thank you. Money won’t be an issue and I’ve looked into Meadows school but it is in Summerlin which is a bit far from Green Valley Ranch (where we are considering moving to at this point bc of our commute to work). It would be a long drive...unless they provide transportation. has anyone heard of Challenger? I see that there are several locations including Henderson and Summerlin although the rave reviews seem to be coming mostly from the Summerlin location...

Old 03-14-2018, 01:30 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,054,376 times
One of the biggest benefits to Meadows, the power people in Vegas send their kids there. Your kids will make friends with their kids and have a lifetime of connections. Truly a long game play.

A friend of mine has her two kids in Challenger Summerlin. They like it but the curriculum is tough. Her second kid is realistically getting kicked out because he can't keep up. The material seems to be roughly two grade levels ahead. My friend had both of her kids in additional after school tutoring (paid separately through a tutoring service) beyond Challenger in order to keep up and even then the one wasn't able to progress. That's elementary school btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holycoooooow View Post
^ thank you. Money won’t be an issue and I’ve looked into Meadows school but it is in Summerlin which is a bit far from Green Valley Ranch (where we are considering moving to at this point bc of our commute to work). It would be a long drive...unless they provide transportation. has anyone heard of Challenger? I see that there are several locations including Henderson and Summerlin although the rave reviews seem to be coming mostly from the Summerlin location...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: