U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 12:18 PM

3 posts, read 26,810 times

Advertisements

I am planning on buying a home in either centennial hills or Aliante....

Which one would be a smarter buy as far as the value of the home increasing?

Alainte home is about 3700 sf in the seasons community

Centennial Hills home is 5200 sf in a gated community. very nice.

Bigger home is more expensive, but which one is a smarter buy? Where will I get a better increase in value? I need help with this; thank you.

Is a bigger home a better investment? I realize the price may drop as the market is low, but I plan on staying in that home for over 7 years.

I believe the maket value of home in the centennial hills area was the highest or second highest of all areas in the vegas valley in 2004 or 2005? What you think?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 01:50 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,096,673 times
Centennial Hills had a great run-up in value, and as such is experiencing a significant amount of foreclosures as well. As far as dollar value and appreciation potential, do the math and figure price per sq ft. I would imagine that Centennial Hills would be the more desirable place to live, at least in the general opinion of the public, thereby increasing the potential of appreciation. However, I would say that you may want to look beyond that. Figure out which neighborhood is going to be a better fit for you, and go from there. A couple of dollars don't mean much if you are not completely happy.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:38 PM

Oh... The bigger property is by Arbor View HS... if that changes anything. Thanks Daddys//M3

Old 03-24-2008, 03:32 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,479,957 times
There is an old rule about not buying the most expensive house in a neighborhood. Almost anything in that size class has to be in Teneya Farms which is pretty much the most expensive tract for miles. Such tracts seldom appreciate as much as the neighborhood.

3700 SF in Aliante is a little better though also pretty far up the pecking order. I would think I could be tempted by one of the REPOs in Club Aliante. That is a tract that will fully recover and is offering some fire sale prices. Be careful of schools in Aliante. Both Legacy and Mojave are nonos for big houses with lots of bedrooms. Legacy may get better over time...but it may not.

If you want to play in that class you might see what you can find in the fancy tracts in 89149 and 89129. Spanish Springs, The one at the corner of Durango and Ann. The Tucsons...the McMansions off Craig. All the various "Brooks" There are also dozens of four to twelve homes tracts in those areas in the price range. There are some, though not many, REPOs.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:32 PM

46 posts, read 175,836 times
Go with the house in Centennial Hills. Aliante is in North Las Vegas and it doesn't matter what anyone else says, N Las Vegas has a bad rep and will for a lot longer than the 7 years you are planning on living there. I, for one, can't believe the prices Henderson is getting. That was nothing but a little hick town when I was growing up here.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:16 PM

Yea... Tenaya Farms... Its a very nice area... very green. There are many custom homes around ythe area as well as some pulte homes and some opther builders that from the prices i've checked... Are over a million or have been. Anyway, the house is a foreclosure and I'd be getting a great deal.
And aliante is getting pretty . The middle school is not so great, high school prob. worse or the same, but the elementary is very good....

I still like the bigger one though... especially the community.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:26 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,479,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium7 View Post
Yea... Tenaya Farms... Its a very nice area... very green. There are many custom homes around ythe area as well as some pulte homes and some opther builders that from the prices i've checked... Are over a million or have been. Anyway, the house is a foreclosure and I'd be getting a great deal.
And aliante is getting pretty . The middle school is not so great, high school prob. worse or the same, but the elementary is very good....

I still like the bigger one though... especially the community.
I was not knocking it...Don't misunderstand. It is a nice tract. Just at the top of the food chain. If the deal is good enough on the foreclosure you will do fine. The expensive tracts will recover as they get picked up.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:39 PM

2,502 posts, read 7,883,333 times
Centennial Hills is zoned for better schools, if that matters to you.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:44 PM

9,751 posts, read 21,599,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdude View Post
Go with the house in Centennial Hills. Aliante is in North Las Vegas and it doesn't matter what anyone else says, N Las Vegas has a bad rep and will for a lot longer than the 7 years you are planning on living there. I, for one, can't believe the prices Henderson is getting. That was nothing but a little hick town when I was growing up here.
Aliante is not a bad place to live. You need to get over the idea that where we live is in a bad area, it is not. If it were, i would not live anywhere close to it.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:49 PM

46 posts, read 175,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Aliante is not a bad place to live. You need to get over the idea that where we live is in a bad area, it is not. If it were, i would not live anywhere close to it.
You newbie's can put whatever spin you want on it. For us natives N Las Vegas will always be a dirty word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas