Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 07:02 AM

4 posts, read 7,756 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a home in Vegas, but I live overseas most of the year. In all likelihood, I'll come back to Vegas once or twice and a year and stay a month at a time.

1. I am not interested in renting the home out to anyone since I don't know when I'll be returning.

2. I prefer owning a home because I can leave my stuff there and make it a 'home' that I can enjoy, so I'm not interested in staying in hotels for months or short term apartments. Like, I really just wanna own something. At some point, I might return to Vegas and stay full time, so it would be nice to just have everything there.

So my question is... Does anyone here own a 2nd home in a Vegas that they leave unoccupied for most of the year, and how exactly do you handle it? I suppose this might apply to anyone who owns a 2nd home in a totally different state as well. I don't mind paying the taxes and insurance, yada yada, but is actually keeping the home from falling apart while I'm away a real possibility or am I dreaming?

I've looked for property managers and caretakers online, but it seems like most of them just specialize in renting your home while you're away, which I don't want to do. Feels like I would need someone I can trust to check in on the home a couple times a week, run the water, check for leaks, pests, intruders, but oddly enough I see none of this kind of service advertised.

How do you manage your summer home or 2nd home in Vegas when you're away? I should also note that I have no close friends in Vegas who I'd trust wouldn't just use the home as their party hangout, so that's not an option.

Seems incredibly difficult to have a home that you only occupy a short time during the year. Should I just forget about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 07:10 AM

638 posts, read 593,826 times
I do.

I'd consider buying a condo second time around since its a lot easier to just shut the door behind you and leave. I find that having an actual house in vegas is a bit more of a nuisance. I put it down to the temperature fluctuations personally, but pealing paint etc is a nuisance, irrigation system malfunctions then the whole back yard dying, etc are all issues. Houses there just seem to deteriorate faster then I've experienced anywhere else in the world. If you have a pool, pigeons start becoming a problem (and in my case a couple of ducks!). It can be done, but it will require more expense then you originally anticipate, and take up a fair bit of time. As a second home, I'd buy in a gated community with security patrols, or (preferably a high rise).

I do recall speaking to a pest control company that also offered a service where they look after the inside when they do their monthly routine, so that could be an option

Old 04-06-2018, 07:12 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,130 times
If you can't find someone to check in on the house, then I say don't do it because there are a lot of thing could get wrong.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:13 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
I do.

I'd consider buying a condo second time around since its a lot easier to just shut the door behind you and leave. I find that having an actual house in vegas is a bit more of a nuisance. I put it down to the temperature fluctuations personally, but pealing paint etc is a nuisance, irrigation system malfunctions then the whole back yard dying, etc are all issues. Houses there just seem to deteriorate faster then I've experienced anywhere else in the world. If you have a pool, pigeons start becoming a problem (and in my case a couple of ducks!). It can be done, but it will require more expense then you originally anticipate, and take up a fair bit of time. As a second home, I'd buy in a gated community with security patrols, or (preferably a high rise).

I do recall speaking to a pest control company that also offered a service where they look after the inside when they do their monthly routine, so that could be an option
Not a bad idea with the condo.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:26 AM

6,746 posts, read 3,363,837 times
We've discussed having a 2nd home somewhere and if we decide to do it most likely it would be a condo with a garage. It would leave a lot less to worry about.

We have friends that have two houses, one in Palm Springs and one in Reno. Both are in gates communities and they've never said anything about having any problems. It isn't cheap, but they can afford it.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:28 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,707,876 times
We just moved to LV from Florida where there are lots of "snowbirds", folks who own homes but only use them part of the year. Many use home watch services. I Googled it and it looks like they exist here too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=las+...nt=firefox-b-1

Old 04-06-2018, 12:29 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,339,800 times
It is really not a big problem. There are a number of services who will provide what you wish. There are certain things you need to do. For instance do not turn off the AC or the heat. Set them to reasonably high or low levels to keep the bill under control but do not let the house cycle in the heat or cool. A smart thermostat is a good idea.

House should be rigged so the interior water can be cut off while the external water remains on. It is common to give the gardener access to the garage so he can keep track of the irrigation system.

Townhouses have some advantages. Many have the external landscaping maintained by the Association.

In general having the home checked every other week is sufficient.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:02 AM

4 posts, read 7,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
We just moved to LV from Florida where there are lots of "snowbirds", folks who own homes but only use them part of the year. Many use home watch services. I Googled it and it looks like they exist here too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=las+...nt=firefox-b-1

Thanks so much for this link. I had searched many different things on Google but didn't think of the term 'home watcher'.

As for the Condo idea... meh. I've thought about it. But all the decent condos in Vegas have astronomical HOA fees. Paying a few hundred per month HOA for a house in a gated community isn't a fun idea, but paying over 500 and sometimes closer to 1000 for some of the higher end condos is just ridiculous. It just seems like a house would be cheaper even if I have to hire a little extra for maintenence.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:18 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,297,213 times
We've done it for years, and it is much better on the stress levels if someone is looking after your home. In Florida they're called condo watchers, and in Vegas they're called home watchers. As the above poster said, you can google them. I would feel much safer leaving a condo than leaving a home, but that's up to you.

The main problems that can occur (besides vandalism or burglaries) is that your A/C or hot water heater leaks and destroys the condo down below, or your own house. This is why someone coming into your home regularly can take the stress out of leaving a place. I turn off the appliances (stove and hot water heater) at the breaker box so someone can't turn them on inadvertently while we're gone. Ditto spa if you have one. Water gets cut off at the point of entry. No worries about freezing if you're thinking Las Vegas, but that is a whole other set of procedures to worry about if you're in the northland (as one of our places is).

Old 04-07-2018, 01:57 PM

243 posts, read 238,034 times
You can hire a property manager to maintain the property in your absence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: