Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 10:26 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,042,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
And if Vegas isn't for you, you are making the right decision and leaving, but you are making the wrong assumption that everyone will have the same bad experiences as you.
Agreed. I've met nice and decent people here. I understand how others lose hope when all they experience are liars, thieves, or cheaters in their space.

My neighbors are good people, and I feel lucky after seeing some of these comments. I retired at 47, so I don't put up with or suffer the workplace clown show anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 11:18 PM

265 posts, read 204,583 times
I am going to give you my story and then tell you how I look at things here.

1. Moved here about 9 months ago.

2. Got full time work in 5 days.

3. 2 college degrees/moved here for a long term business dream/project.

4. Most of my spare time involves working on said project when I'm not at work.

5. Sometimes I can walk miles a day through downtown, the strip and on the way home. You pass homeless people, people you can tell who have let this city run them over like a car. You will be asked for marijuana, cigarettes, a lot of it.

6. Attitude is everything. Be open minded. Don't have expectations for people and never give anyone money to anyone you rarely know.

7. Stay away from the gaming, drugs and other vices if you can.

8. I am very hygenic, drug free, healthier than most and I care about my appearance.

9. I'm a guy in his 30s.

The lack of education is what makes this something for nothing town run wild sometimes. You just have to learn to accept if you are someone who is educated and with values that you'll run into a lot of broken souls here and not to let it disappoint you.

The final reality is how many of us actually have 3 or 4 friends through our entire life we can count on at all times?

Most people are just hanging out not to be lonely.

I brought a pet out from another state.

I am still trying to figure out these who get robbed. Did you change the locks when you moved in, install the best bolts money can buy to your door and make sure the premise was fully secure? Are you flashing an expensive car, big TV?

Old 04-14-2018, 07:17 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,977,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
I am not being naive when I say that the people I hang out with and are friends with are not the kind that burn and use others. I'm sure those types are out there, but it's insulting to say my friends are like that.

We are not drunks, gamblers, or druggies, and I am not dumb enough or desparate enough to hang out with someone that is.

And if Vegas isn't for you, you are making the right decision and leaving, but you are making the wrong assumption that everyone will have the same bad experiences as you.

I didn’t have bad experiences

You haven’t been here long enough.. you still have the rose colored glasses on
You probably don’t have a home, you’re bill is for an apartment. You’re too late to buy a home
16 an hour is not enough to consider a home with the bills combined
You’ve been at your job only a year, things change
Your friends are a car club, what happens when your not talking shop. .
You’re 30.. give it time when you are in a protected class regarding employment
You’re responsibility is yourself..no wife kids
It’s good you don’t have vices, neither do I
If you have a very healthy bank account, you see how quickly it depletes

I came here, made great $$, 3 homes, now I sell take the profit and live mortgage free elsewhere

In my opinion, the boom of Vegas is done..they priced the average guy out of the market

In Vegas, if you work for the corporations, you are a number that’s it. You leave a job with a year under your belt, your resume will look like you job jump

Old 04-14-2018, 08:02 AM

6,744 posts, read 3,360,889 times
You're not even close. Lol.

I'm retired. Just turned 64. Married 28 years. Bought a nice house and paid cash. We're not rich, but comfortable.

Anything else you want to wrongly assume?

Old 04-14-2018, 05:48 PM

469 posts, read 493,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
I didn’t have bad experiences

You haven’t been here long enough.. you still have the rose colored glasses on
You probably don’t have a home, you’re bill is for an apartment. You’re too late to buy a home
16 an hour is not enough to consider a home with the bills combined
You’ve been at your job only a year, things change
Your friends are a car club, what happens when your not talking shop. .
You’re 30.. give it time when you are in a protected class regarding employment
You’re responsibility is yourself..no wife kids
It’s good you don’t have vices, neither do I
If you have a very healthy bank account, you see how quickly it depletes

I came here, made great $$, 3 homes, now I sell take the profit and live mortgage free elsewhere

In my opinion, the boom of Vegas is done..they priced the average guy out of the market

In Vegas, if you work for the corporations, you are a number that’s it. You leave a job with a year under your belt, your resume will look like you job jump
Truth spoken.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:55 PM

469 posts, read 493,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasfan1985 View Post
Most people are just hanging out not to be lonely.
+1

Those are the people who can’t survive on there own.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:30 AM

265 posts, read 204,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soclose View Post
+1

Those are the people who can’t survive on there own.
I kind of enjoy the fact that out here people keep to themselves more. I live in a quiet area/community right near the Strip. You'd never believe that, but that is the case.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:51 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,488,907 times
Why is someone who will be attending a university worried about meeting people which someday may become true friends? University is a great place to meet people and if you cannot find a friend or an acquaintance in a university then it is your fault.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:49 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,275,539 times
We lived in Las Vegas three years, but I've lived in many cities. Everybodies version of their experience here is valid. It depends on the individual and how outgoing you are to some degree.

I'm in the group of the educated class so mainly those were my friends that had establish stable lives there. The Las Vegas medical community is a strong and healthy one. I made many friends there and I really miss them all. They're some of my best friends.

I also am a group organizer. Where ever I move I start groups and organize meetups. I even did it with city data and gave fourm members a chance to get together more often and develop in person friendships. So I'm a facilitator. I would think in college it's very easy to try these groups and see what you like.

I also recommend churches and charity groups to volunteer for. You don't have to subscribe to their beliefs but you do have to express a desire to help others and it's a self esteem booster to do good and feel like you're making a difference. The Las Vegas community always needs that and knows their community and can guide you there.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:22 PM

20,090 posts, read 8,995,406 times
JMO ...people in Las Vegas look a little rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas