Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 10:44 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times

Advertisements

I'm posting here in the Las Vegas forum (rather than the House forum) because I'm looking for how things are typically done here.

Do you have auto-fill for a pool? This replenishes water lost from evaporation, splashing, etc. We have a lot of evaporation here in Southern Nevada, of course, because we live in the desert.

Here's how mine is plumbed. I think it is incorrect, so I'm trying to collect info from those of you who have it.

In my house, I have a large ball valve in my garage; this turns off the water to the house. Examples of why you'd want to do this might include cutting into an existing water line for some reason, installing a water softener, -- or -- going on a long vacation and you don't want a water line under pressure inside the house to accidentally leak or burst.

I've discovered that turning off the water to the house if you go on vacation ALSO turns off water to the pool auto-fill. This means after several days of evaporation, the pool level goes down below the skimmer level, and then you have a problem with the pool pump & filtration system.

I thought it would be plumbed so that it would be separate from the water shut off to the house. After all, the landscaping is separate - turning off the ball valve inside the garage doesn't effect the landscaping system.

How does yours work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 12:06 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,015,383 times
Mine is the same. I put a ball valve at my water softener. This cuts off water to all of the house except the kitchen sink. I'm not so worried about that. I was kinda irritated too when I found out that if I cut the main off, it also cut off my auto fill.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:40 AM

799 posts, read 708,511 times
Mine was tee'd into the irrigation system supply line. So if the irrigation stays on with the house valve closed, my auto fill still has a source of water. I have an additional anti siphon valve/ball valve for the pool (oh boy two of 'em to worry about in the winter!) as well. Perhaps your sprinkler supply line is close enough that you could re-route your pool auto fill in a similar way?

Old 05-11-2018, 08:05 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,589,552 times
On a rental I had the pool didn't come with an auto fill. I used this brand for many years worked great. Hooks up to your garden hose. Marpac Poolkeeper.
https://www.mypool.com/Product-Detail/poolkeeper.asp

Old 05-11-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead View Post
Mine was tee'd into the irrigation system supply line. So if the irrigation stays on with the house valve closed, my auto fill still has a source of water. I have an additional anti siphon valve/ball valve for the pool (oh boy two of 'em to worry about in the winter!) as well. Perhaps your sprinkler supply line is close enough that you could re-route your pool auto fill in a similar way?
Yes, my irrigation line is close enough to re-route, but my irrigation system also has a tank for liquid fertilizer. Periodically, my landscape maintenance guy adds liquid fertilizer to the tank, which in turn distributes liquid fertilizer throughout the irrigation system. While I can tell him not to add fertilizer when I'm on vacation and use the auto-fill from the irrigation supply, we all know mistakes happen.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Mine is the same. I put a ball valve at my water softener. This cuts off water to all of the house except the kitchen sink. I'm not so worried about that. I was kinda irritated too when I found out that if I cut the main off, it also cut off my auto fill.
That sounds like a reasonable work around. Thanks for the idea!

Old 05-11-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
On a rental I had the pool didn't come with an auto fill. I used this brand for many years worked great. Hooks up to your garden hose. Marpac Poolkeeper.
https://www.mypool.com/Product-Detail/poolkeeper.asp
My hose bibs are turned off when I use the ball valve in the garage to turn off water to the house. In fact, the auto-fill supply is a tee from a hose bib.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:09 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
My hose bibs are turned off when I use the ball valve in the garage to turn off water to the house. In fact, the auto-fill supply is a tee from a hose bib.
just hook it up to your neighbor's hose bib

Old 05-11-2018, 02:18 PM

799 posts, read 708,511 times
Quote:
Yes, my irrigation line is close enough to re-route, but my irrigation system also has a tank for liquid fertilizer. Periodically, my landscape maintenance guy adds liquid fertilizer to the tank, which in turn distributes liquid fertilizer throughout the irrigation system. While I can tell him not to add fertilizer when I'm on vacation and use the auto-fill from the irrigation supply, we all know mistakes happen.
I'd check into the fertilizer system, as I'd be surprised there wouldn't be a one way valve as part of the install, to keep the fertilizer from somehow back flowing into the freshwater lines in case of a pressure loss. Or you could put something like that in if you were to go in that direction.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:20 PM

699 posts, read 2,219,413 times
Quote:
Do you have auto-fill for a pool?

I've discovered that turning off the water to the house if you go on vacation ALSO turns off water to the pool auto-fill. This means after several days of evaporation, the pool level goes down below the skimmer level, and then you have a problem with the pool pump & filtration system.

How does yours work?
We do not.

When we go on vacation we overfill the pool with a hose, higher than normal to offset. For a 3-4 night trip, it's about 2-3" add. Ymmv depending on your pool size.

So if you do want to turn off your main, just overfill about 2-3" for a short trip. If you're going longer, you may want to ask a neighbor to come by an add some water, or your petsitter (mine will retrieve mail, water plants, lights, etc. while pet visiting), friend, family, housesitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: